Trinity Trip Top Amp
Based on several years of vintage Ampeg B15 designs, the Trip Top uniquely combines the original circuits of both the Ampeg B-15NC (1964) as well as the later B-15NF (1965-67). The B-15-NF channel has the volume control section before the tone stack and in the B-15-NC channel it is after. Maintaining these circuits keeps the same gain structure and biasing found in the original B-15N amp designs, helping to preserve their true heritage. It also has two power supply settings – Cathode and Fixed bias to provide further tone structure.
I'm using it for a session on Ross Neilsen's record with Jimmy Bowskill, Steve Marriner and Matt Sobb.
This is a hand wired B-15 clone that might actually sound better than the original.
But calling it a bass amp is missing half the point. It’s an AMAZING guitar amp. It has a different sonority than other Trinity offerings which have a focus on a very smooth but sparkly top end. The Trip Top is the opposite – there’s still a nice smooth top end -and plenty of it – but this amp is all about low end girth and grind. It’s got a nice big tight booty (even with the bass tone knob on full!) that inspires rocking out down low on the neck with open chords!! Fixed bias has a more forward, clear, present sound… Cathode bias gives it a saggier feel but adds this gorgeous rich high harmonic overtone to everything – really nice for those ringy single coil U2-esque type sounds.
The Trip Top is designed to output approximately 30 watts in cathode bias mode and 40 watts in fixed bias mode using 6L6 power tubes. These two modes are switch selectable.
It has two channels each have Volume with a ‘Pull Bright’ switch, Treble and Bass controls. The first channel, NORMAL, from the B-15-NF, has the volume control section before the tone stack. The second channel, CASCADE, comes from the B-15-NC which has the volume control section after the tone controls. There is a third input that LINKS the two channels for additional grit and drive.
The power amp section has two switch selectable bias modes – fixed (B-15NF) and cathode (B-15NC). Solid state rectifier diodes were used for the “NB” configuration, but not incorporated into our design (easy mod).
The Output Transformer has multiple impedance secondaries which allow a choice of 4, 8 or 16 ohm speaker loads. The primary output impedance is 6800 ohms.
The Trip Top is built using point-to-point wiring utilizing turret board construction for optimal service and reliability. High-quality tubes, coupling capacitors and resistors are selected for maximum tone, performance and reliability. The Trinity Amps power transformer and output transformer are all custom built, over-rated and selected for maximum tone, performance and reliability
- Channels: 2
- Controls Normal: Volume/Bright; Treble; Bass
- Controls Cascade: Volume/Bright; Treble; Bass
- Power output: 25-30 watts in cathode bias mode and 35-40 watts in fixed bias mode
- Preamp Tubes: 3 – 6SL7-GT Pre-Amp tube design
- Power Tubes: 2 – 6L6
- Rectifier: 5AR4
- Bias: Fixed or Cathode (selectable)
- Choke: no
- Speaker: no
- Outputs: 2
- Speaker Output: 4, 8, 16 switched Overspec’d Heyboer Output Transformer to support KT88 Output power level
- Voltage Support: 110 V 60Hz to 240 V 50Hz Overspec’d Heyboer Power Transformer with 110/120/220/230/240 @ 50/60 Hz Mains
- Weight: Head: 30 lbs., 115 Combo 80 lbs.
- Switches: Cathode / Fixed bias; Hum Control; Bias Setting
- Other: Pre-amp Out
- Construction: Mirror Finish Stainless Steel .06 inch thick Chassis with silkscreened front /rear labels 8.5″ X 17″ X 2.5″; CNC fabricated Black Powder Coated Tube Cage
- Dimensions: Head: 8” H x 17” W x 10” D
- Moved So Slow
- Old and Able One
- Old and Able Two
Add to Cart
To Purchase Items
- Select an item using the drop down menu.
- Add the item to your shopping cart using the Add to Cart button.This will take you to your shopping cart.
- If you wish to purchase additional items, e.g. a transformer set, click Continue Shopping. This will return you to the Trinity Amps site.
- Select the next item you wish to purchase using the drop down menu and repeat from Step #2.
- When you are finished shopping, wish to check and are viewing your shopping cart, click either PayPal Check out or Check Out (Pay without a PayPal account).
- To view your shopping cart click View Cart on the Trinity Amps site and then check out using one of the aforementioned process.
- Be sure to include your phone number with your order.
- Shipping outside of North America will be adjusted and an email sent with details.
Payments can be made through PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org. Payments can also be made using Interac e-Transfer, money order, cashier’s or personal check to Trinity Amps Inc.
We accept Canadian credit cards at our shop or by phone.
If you are located outside of Canada and want to make a payment using a VISA or Mastercard, an invoice will be provided using PayPal’s credit card service. No PayPal account is required.
Please be sure to send your full shipping address and contact phone number when ordering. If you have any questions, please contact us for more information, visit our web site or forum.
All prices are listed in US dollars. Orders ship from Brighton, Ontario, Canada, applicable taxes not included. Specifications and prices subject to change without notice.
Trinity Amps Inc.
+1-613-438-5854 Canada EST
14656 County Rd. 21