trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:13 pm 
Expert
Expert

It looks to me like the top-mounted PT leaves a lot more working space in the chassis. Doesn't look near as busy in there are the 18W or TC-15.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:11 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Try reversing the OT leads and see if the squeal goes away. If it gets worse, there may be some other work to do.

I dont recall any squeal from any quitar on this amp yet, but most OD settings were half or less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:52 am 
Expert
Expert

Congratulations Andrew!!!

ajcoholic wrote:
I found this amp (the Triwatt) very nice to work on, and nothing was hard to get to in terms of soldering. I did appreciate the fact I wired in the socket heater wires BEFORE the board went in, as suggested in the manual.

I also like to partially wire up the pots and input jacks before fitting the board in. BTW, I also shorten the shaft of the speaker impedance selector, so that the selector knob doesn't stick out too far.
ajcoholic wrote:
This thing is CLEAN ad CLEAR. Yet very strong.

That is particularly true with KT66s, especially if using a 12AT7 in the PI. BTW are you using a 12AT7 or a 12AX7 in there at the moment? With 6V6s you get a lot more breakup from around mid-way on the MV, which is how I like it. :mrgreen:
ajcoholic wrote:
The only thing I had happen that might be an issue is that when the overdrive is pulled out (which sounds great by the way) and gradually turned up, about between two and 3 oclock I start to get a squeal. Maybe we can figure this one out? Or is it a characteristic of the amp when trying to dial in too much gain?

That's not anything we've ever seen. I suspect you may need to work on the lead dress a bit - maybe start by moving some of the wires around with a chopstick.
Emohawk wrote:
I'd be willing to bet the squeal is a combination of the amps voicing, amount of gain, and the pickups in the Ibanez.

That's also a possibility. One I hadn't considered until now....
Emohawk wrote:
It looks to me like the top-mounted PT leaves a lot more working space in the chassis. Doesn't look near as busy in there are the 18W or TC-15.

Yes, that's very true, thanks to those nice Hiwatt/Partridge style transformers. We use some that space, as the board is a little longer than an 18W's or TC15's.
coco wrote:
Try reversing the OT leads and see if the squeal goes away.

If the OT connections were the wrong way round the amp would have been doing an impression of a ship's fog horn. I know this from personal experience. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:42 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Andrew - 3 o'clock OD is pretty rad man!! Like 3/4? Still...

Also move that tube around & see if that is related. I suspect Phil is correct re: fog horn syndrome (we experienced that when building the prototype), but I have seen this on other amps like the 18 watt TMB when the MV goes past noon, with Vol high.

BTW, what were the rest of your settings with this happening? Particualrly the Presence, which is in the feeedback circuit? Try some other combinations of Vol , MV settings and see where it starts.

Yes, it may come down to some lead dress.

Last edited by coco on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:40 pm 
Expert
Expert

Nice looking amp!

What pre-amp tubes are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:40 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

It was only squealing with the gain up at 3/4 or more (I was fooling with how much OD I could get :) )

I will try some other guitars and so forth when I get a chance. Working tonight so may not be untill tomorrow.

I have the at7 tube in there, as thats what I purchased from Stephen.

Hey, its a small issue, and I doubt I will every play it with the gain that high as I do like to use my effects for my heavy OD.

Will try moving some wiring, again when I get a chance... :)

Now I have real work to get back to (building furniture)...

Thanks again!

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:56 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
Andrew - 3 o'clock OD is pretty rad man!! Like 3/4? Still...

I had it up there... :twisted: Don't recall any squealing... unless of course you're talking about that feedback I love so much... ;) :)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:43 pm 
Expert
Expert

ajcoholic wrote:
It was only squealing with the gain up at 3/4 or more (I was fooling with how much OD I could get :) )

I will try some other guitars and so forth when I get a chance. Working tonight so may not be untill tomorrow.

I have the at7 tube in there, as thats what I purchased from Stephen.

Hey, its a small issue, and I doubt I will every play it with the gain that high as I do like to use my effects for my heavy OD.

Will try moving some wiring, again when I get a chance... :)

Now I have real work to get back to (building furniture)...

Thanks again!

AJC

Does adjusting the presence control have an affect on the squealing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:50 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

kurtlives wrote:
Does adjusting the presence control have an affect on the squealing?

Nope... and neither does a guitar with less hot pickups.

Will have to take the chassis out and rustle some wires around... later.

Tonight I was busy finishing this thing (the guitar), carved walnut top, single piece mahogany back. Rosewood neck with ebony board, Fender scale length and 22 medium frets. TV Jones classic pickups and a Bigsby of course.

Its my answer to the GAS for a Gretsch and PRS hollowbody.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:19 am 
Experienced
Experienced

See I want one of those Andrew!! Solid-body shmalid-body!! ;)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:53 am 
Novice
Novice

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

just wowed :twisted: think you are reading my mind, i always disliked to see the heigt ajusting screws on pickups. can we get a glimpse at her back 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:53 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

elegy wrote:
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

just wowed :twisted: think you are reading my mind, i always disliked to see the heigt ajusting screws on pickups. can we get a glimpse at her back 8)

The TV classics are a PITA to mount though, two screws that screw through the pickup like a P90 and the height adjustment is basically shimming it with blocks of wood behind the pickup. But they do look clean.

Here is a shot of the back while it was in the spray booth...

Post subject: NO MORE SQUEAL
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:11 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I took the chassis of my Triwatt out, and cut the wire ties holding the wiring from the overdrive pot/switch. I took my chopsticks and moved the wires around until I found a place where I can now turn my overdrive ALL the way clockwise without as much as a hum!

Thanks for the tip guys, it took me only a few minutes. Wire tied the rest of the wiring in place and now it is VERY quiet.

Learn something new today... wiring does make a huge difference what it is next to!

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:20 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Fantastic news. Details please. Or a pic. Which wire made the big deal etc. Everyone is going to need to know this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:27 pm 
Expert
Expert

Good stuff! Yeah - we'll all want to know about that for sure - especially us gain junkies... :)

And another beauty guitar there. This one looks pure vintage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Awesome AJC!

TRIWATT and new Guitar! Beeeautiful!

I'm listening......

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:29 pm 
Expert
Expert

What a beautiful girl :wink: :wink: :D :D
Lets hear the combo, huh! :shock: :shock: :D :D 8) 8)
And us that haven't yet built the Triwatt will need this info, please :wink: :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:13 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I played the Triwatt tonight for 3 1/2 hours straight at band rehersal. Its an hour away so I threw the amp and my new guitar into the truck and headed off on the snow covered roads (yikes) for New Liskeard.

Worth the trip... I got to run the amp at a decent volume all night, trying various effects through it as well as cleans. Its really nice - what more can I say? Not at all like the 18 or the TC15 - totally different. Powerfull tone, really ballsy.

I was playing through the normal channel, with the OD at 11 oclock, bass/mid/treb at 1/10/2 oclock respectively and the prescence at 11 oclock as well.

Played through my 2x12 closed back cab with two Celestion G12H30's I keep at the rehersal space.

I have to try it with some other guitars now. But it was a great test run.

This thing is DEAD quiet, when you are not playing even with a high gain pedal turned on. Quieter than both the 18 and 15.

More to come later...

Will take pics of my wiring mods when I get a chance to take the chassis out again.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:10 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

That's a good test run Andrew. The controls were close to where Larry played them as well which is very interesting. You should try a 12AX7 in the PI position.

So right now you're using:
    Tung Sol AX7s
    NOS PHilips AT7
    Genalex RI KT66

I'm always glad to hear that an amp is quiet. Was there any notes or changes you made to the wiring or did you just follow the layout & route wires accordingly?

The SOZOs you chose to install may smooth out as you play it so it can get better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:33 am 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
That's a good test run Andrew. The controls were close to where Larry played them as well which is very interesting. You should try a 12AX7 in the PI position.

So right now you're using:
    Tung Sol AX7s
    NOS PHilips AT7
    Genalex RI KT66
I'm always glad to hear that an amp is quiet. Was there any notes or changes you made to the wiring or did you just follow the layout & route wires accordingly?

The SOZOs you chose to install may smooth out as you play it so it can get better.

I am pretty happy with the tubes right now, I wont change anything untill I have a lot more time on the amp. I am interested to see where "gigging" volume will be but right now I have the master volume at 9 oclock and the normal or bright volume at about 8 oclock with the OD at 11. Probably be close to there at the bar, maybe a little louder. I dont set the PA levels so..

I wired it up pretty much as close to the layout as I could. The only thing I had to do as you all know was play a little with the wires off of the OD pot/switch to elliminate the squeal at higher settings. Thats totally gone now.

AJC