Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DPDT Pots for SIIIV6?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:03 am 
Friend
Friend

I have the sIIIv6 and was considering putting the boost and
6V6/EL84 switches on the front of the amp using push-pull pots. Would this create issues with the layout? Would the amp be noisy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:37 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I dont think it would be a problem as long as the leads were twisted and not too far from the components they connect to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:20 pm 
Friend
Friend

OK...thanks, Stephen. May give this a try!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:29 pm 
Friend
Friend

Tried this out today. I replaced the bass pot on the TMB channel (it is directly across from the 6V6 tubes) with a 500K audio taper pot with a DPDT switch (like you might find in a coil tap guitar). Wired it up to switch between the EL84s and 6V6s, 6V6s when pulled out. Twisted the wires as you suggested and kept everything as short as possible. No problems! Nice and quiet, just like before! I did this mod first because I thought it might be noisier and I am switching output tubes more than using the boost option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:10 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

oxfordmini wrote:
Tried this out today. I replaced the bass pot on the TMB channel (it is directly across from the 6V6 tubes) with a 500K audio taper pot with a DPDT switch (like you might find in a coil tap guitar). Wired it up to switch between the EL84s and 6V6s, 6V6s when pulled out. Twisted the wires as you suggested and kept everything as short as possible. No problems! Nice and quiet, just like before! I did this mod first because I thought it might be noisier and I am switching output tubes more than using the boost option.

Great idea!! Glad it worked out for you. What part [& what source] did you use for the pot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:10 pm 
Friend
Friend

I tried finding them from Mouser and Digikey, but all I could find were linear taper ones. The ones in Fender amps seem to be of the 1M variety. Many of the guitar parts suppliers have them, just don't know where they are getting them. I probably just haven't been diligent enough in looking online...they gotta be out there. I hate to pay the markup if I can avoid it. The thought came to me as I was working on a friend's amp with a pull boost :idea: - the part came to me as I replaced the electronics in my PRS McCarty :o .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:22 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thread back from the dead! I'm working on this amp tidying up a few things before it goes in a 1x12 combo cab. I noticed the 220K resistors on the cathode switch on the more recent layouts for the V6. What's the benefit? My build back in 2007 didn't have them.

While I'm at it, Coco, would you favor the TT Alnico or TT Ceramic in the 1x12 combo configuration?