trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:46 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi all, another newbie introduction for ya.

I'm Bionic, also known to some of you as Swash (long story), or John. I'm a music fan. As a musician, I started late and I'm playing catch-up. I know just enough bass guitar that some of you six-stringers will sometimes call on me to back you up. I love guitar, but sometimes there's just nothing like a fat, groovy, bluesy bassline.

I've had the good fortune to jam with lbet and jpatton, NEAR some of coco's finest amps. It's an experience, I can tell you.

As for amp-building, and gear in general, I'm still pretty green. I've resisted the urge to fill my basement with beautiful boxes with switches and knobs that will make me sound good, and instead have worked on upgrading, as we say in racing, "the nut behind the wheel." But the pull of the dark side is strong, one day I will give in...

Present ascetic rig:
Ross RB60 - 60-watt combo bass amp (solid state, I know, I know...:oops: ) with vented single 10" paper cone, it chuffs a lot, but it's passably loud.
Fender Squier P-bass, 4-string.

Favs: well, there's the holy trinity (Zeppelin, Sabbath, Hendrix), The Who, The Guess Who, Santana, The Great Society et al, Iron Maiden et al, Meeeetallica, Sloan, Mammatus, Kyuss, etc.

Clippage: oh sweet, I could just sit and listen to these clips all night. In fact, I think I will.

Trinityamps Mag issue-0: great read. I now understand twice as much as what y'all are saying on here! So, "sag" is desirable? Sometimes?

lbet: what do I have to do, to play like you??!

So now, what's the drill? Do I have to drink a tequila shot out of a broken Russian-army radar tube, and then I'm "in"??

Peace,
-Bionic

Post subject: Bass amps
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:12 pm 
Friend
Friend

B.B,
You have me thinking, I don't know that I've seen any bass amp kits??? I know there is the bassman but as I remember you bass players don't think thats a bass amp. Anyone else know of any?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:13 pm 
Friend
Friend

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:18 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well, I guess the 1st thing is when your dealing with tube amps, a bass amp is a guitar amp. Okay, I haven't been shot yet. :lol:
I have a Gregory bass amp here. It's basically an 18 watt amp. The difference between the two is a bass amp demands more power and no distortion. Although, distortion is usually added by way of pedals. So what is the difference. Hmm, not a lot. If your looking for a bass design, the best is the Ampeg. They had the most power and best clean.

You can take any tube amp and change it to a bass amp. The schematics don't exist because it only takes a couple of capacitors and resistors to change a guitar amp into a bass amp.

Here's where I'll hype Trinity. :lol: Coco's designs are more clean then the average 18 watt. If we need more distortion, we add a boost switch. They're very versatile amps. Coco places the layout's online and I'm sure you would get all the help to change the amp to a bass. So you have a great choice here to either build it yourself or buy a kit.

I f you bought a kit, Coco does custom requirements.
Bottom line is, you can take the 18 watt layout and turn it into a fine bass amp. 1st suggestion is to try a 30 watt. for more power. Once built, then have a ball with speakers. :D I here 4 x 10" calling me.

Have fun. :D
Cheers,
Jac
p.s. I'll join you for the tequila shot :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:33 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Welcome to the forum Bionic.

I like to take big ass ol tube amps and turn 'em into Bass amps. But if you want new or kit, it's true. More power supply reserve, more bass frequencies passed.

Hopefully we can all help you out in some way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:17 am 
Friend
Friend

Mmmmm, tube bass amp... palms getting sweaty... coco, any chance I could plug into one of your guitar amps and take it for a spin? Or could that be dangerous to the cone? Might be an interesting experiment.

And thanks all, for the warm welcome!
-Bionic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:04 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

SPAM!!