trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cross your fingers
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:30 am 
Friend
Friend

a guy at my church who was into building ham radios at one time says he'll check his tube stash for me to see what he has. :D he was very suprised that anything tube-esqe was even around in the marketplace anymore, after i told him about my latest amp building obsession. cross your fingers for me. maybe i'll get some sweet tubes to base a new build around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:32 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

These guys usually have a good stash. Prepare yourself!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:05 pm 
Novice
Novice

Damn staright they do! A mate of mine i lived with lectured in EE at my local uni. He got into electronics repairing old valve radios from WW2 planes. When i told him the valve compliment of an amp i had he said "Oh, i used to have a box of about 200 of those valves. I gave them away to a friend" They were all Mullard ECC83s :shock:

You should be able to find some lovely old components. Mustard caps, old flat brown mica caps (Lemco/RS branded) carbon film and carbon comp resistors...Happy hunting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:58 pm 
Expert
Expert

Are the "old flat brown mica caps" the ones with the dots on them showing the values? I have alot of them.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:47 pm 
Novice
Novice

The ones on the tone stack here:

My JTM 45 clone BTW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:34 pm 
Expert
Expert

yep :D They be the ones. I also have the older ones that say Sickles silver mica on them. Have a bunch of both.

Edit:
Buy the way, that clone is wonderful. Very nice build.
On another note, how's the terror layout coming?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:48 pm 
Novice
Novice

I've drawn it out by hand, i just need to convert it to electronic format. I'll try a scan and see how that looks but i'll eventually convert it up to a nice graphically rendered picture. I downloaded a freeware version of Visio so maybe i can get something nice going.

Hey Jac, if you have some spare, would you consider trading selling some in the future? I've a Hiwatt DR103 clone in the works and i wouldnt mind a few for the tone stack. I'm already using a mixture of Mustards and Sozos/TAD mustards but want something a little more cork-sniffery to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:32 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
These guys usually have a good stash. Prepare yourself!!

At the very least there'll be some metal-can 6L6s...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:40 pm 
Friend
Friend

yea good idea. i'll see if he has any caps too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:06 pm 
Expert
Expert

Wicksy,

Love to trade, I've got some great old stuff and always looking for other "let's see what this does" Stuff :twisted:
I'm in the middle of alot of building, but once I get this done, I'd like to build the terror.
:D
Later

"Cork-Sniffery" I'm laughing too hard, I can't spell it. :lol: :lol: What the heck does this mean :?: :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:39 pm 
Friend
Friend

liquidsuspension, hope to hear some news from you that's going to make us all envious!

Wicksy, nice looking JTM45 build, probably my favourite amp if I was forced to pick one, but then you can't have just one :wink: Just out of curiosity you made the amp a pretty good clone but why didn't you use the traditional Marshall colour scheme for the pre wiring? (Green-Grids; Yellow-Cathodes: Blue-Anode/Plates)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:52 am 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
liquidsuspension, hope to hear some news from you that's going to make us all envious!

Wicksy, nice looking JTM45 build, probably my favourite amp if I was forced to pick one, but then you can't have just one :wink: Just out of curiosity you made the amp a pretty good clone but why didn't you use the traditional Marshall colour scheme for the pre wiring? (Green-Grids; Yellow-Cathodes: Blue-Anode/Plates)

I didnt have the wire colours! :lol: I'll probably re-wire it for the correct colour scheme at some point but its not a majorly high priority at the moment :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:55 am 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
Wicksy,

Love to trade, I've got some great old stuff and always looking for other "let's see what this does" Stuff :twisted:
I'm in the middle of alot of building, but once I get this done, I'd like to build the terror.
:D
Later

"Cork-Sniffery" I'm laughing too hard, I can't spell it. :lol: :lol: What the heck does this mean :?: :roll: :lol:

It means i've been hanging around the Plexi Palace far too long for my wallet's own good :wink: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:15 pm 
Friend
Friend

here's the score:

RCA 12AX7 and 12AX7A / two Harman Kardon 12AT7s

RCA 6V6-gta / GE 6L6-gc / two GE 5881s / Westinghouse 12DQ6B / Realistic 6LQ6 / Realistic 3A3 / six new 6AK5s pictured in their boxes at the top

many others / 2AV2, 6AL5, 6AU6-A, 6BA6, 6BE6, 6FQ7, 6GF7-A, 6GH8-A, 6GM6, 6GU7, 6HZ6, 6JC6-A, 6JH6, 6KA8, 6KZ8, 6LF8, 12BY7-A, and two unidentifiable tubes with no markings.

i haven't heard of most of these. the RCA 12ax7s look like a find. i'll have to try them out in my amp later. do any of these jump out at you as usable for anything decent?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:42 pm 
Friend
Friend

he gave me a box full of tubes again today, but WAY more. easily around 100, probably 200 or so. :D

so far i've found about 10 various 12ax7, 12at7, 12au7. and also about 10 6v6s. maybe i'll mod my amp to take 6v6s :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:12 pm 
Novice
Novice

Those GE 5881s are Tung Sol i think. Great tubes... Do you know if they are matched? I wouldnt mind another pair (if you want to sell them of course :wink: ).

Great score though! I love RCA black plates in my 18 watt lite. Almost as much as Mules. Those odd ball tubes sound like some of those used in old circuits back in the 50's and 60's. You should be able to use them in amps with a little moding and fiddling.

Ttry asking over at the Plexi Palace. Theres some pretty knolwedgable tube guys overt here. JUst dont make any mention that you want to sell/trade any of them :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:12 am 
Friend
Friend

i couldn't tell you if any are matched. the bases are different color, and one says 5881 on the top, one says it one the side.

i need to find somwhere i can test some of these so i can see i can match up any of my 6v6s.

the rca 12ax7a out of the 1st score sounds great in my amp. a little brighter than the mullard i have. i have some more rca, ge, tung sol 12ax7s to try out of this new batch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:53 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

NICE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:02 pm 
Friend
Friend

after swapping around preamp tubes today in my 18watt, i found a sweet GE 12ax7 in that box that sounds awesome in V1. the amp sounds very clear, even at maximum gain. the mullard i had in V1 sounds about the same, the GE sounds a bit brighter though, which i like. so after trying several tube combos, its sounds great like this:

V1 - GE 12AX7 long plate (no idea when it was made or anything, the letters are rubbed off for the most part)

V2 PI - GE 5751 USAF

V3 - Westinghouse 12AX7

so that GE and the RCA 12AX7A i found are the stars of this tube find so far (of the ones i can use and try out at least)

Post subject: Re: Cross your fingers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:11 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

SPAM!!