trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:34 pm 
Novice
Novice

My relays don't relay. I've checked the position of all components, went through continuity checks and voltage checks. The foot switch has proper continuity and the LEDS on the foot switch light up when it's activated. The LEDS on the relay board do not illuminate and I don't hear the relay clicking or doing anything. Each relay shows 4.3 volts at pin 1 but no voltage at pin 16. I don't know if that's normal or what else to try to troubleshoot this board. Any help is appreciated.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:29 pm 
Novice
Novice

I went through everything for the hundreth time. I pulled a leg of the diodes to confirm they were good and undamaged. Then I decided to check the 22M Dale metal film resistor - I hadn't done that before because I always confirm resistor values with my Fluke multimeter before I install them - I don't trust my eyes on color codes. I found 0.2 ohms across the resistor. Somehow this resistor shorted. I think this is the problem - now I need to find a 1% 22M resistor and I can button this thing up - hopefully.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:18 am 
Novice
Novice

Well...I'm still stumped. I don't recall ever having the value change when measuring across a resistor whether it's in a inactive circuit or not, but this one does. I clipped the resistor and it measures 22M out of the circuit! I have continuity from COM to NC, but it doesn't switch to NO. Help!

Last edited by Koop on Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

It gets stranger and stranger. I re-installed the 2M resistor. Now the relay seems to be working. I have continuity between COM and NC, when I activate the PAB footswitch, that connection goes open and I have continuity between COM and NO. Same with the OD on the other relay. The only thing that doesn't work is the LED indicators on the relay board - the LEDs in the footswitch work fine. I can't figure what's going on, but it seems to work.