trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaker Questions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:27 pm 
Friend
Friend

I'm planning on ordering the 18 watt sIII kit when it is back in stock. I'm planning on building a head and a 2x12 cabinet. I've read that in order to take full advantage of the output transformers, the speakers should be 16 ohms. Is there a noticeable difference in these amps if the speakers are wired as 16 ohm vs 8 ohm (series vs parallel wiring I believe it's called.) I'm trying to understand whether not there are advantages or disadvantages to either speaker wiring setup with this amp.

Post subject: Re: Speaker Questions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:07 am 
Friend
Friend

The differences in that will be subtle, in my opinion. I did the same setup and bought 2 8 ohm speakers. I have my cab wired up where I can choose both in series (16 ohm), both in parallel (4 ohm), or either speaker at 8 ohms. If you want options, you could try something like that. Otherwise, pick a setup and don't worry about it again. i think you would hear and feel more differences in tone with fluctuations to your line voltage.

-Dan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:35 am 
Experienced
Experienced

There is a popular school of thought that 18W transformers like 16 Ohms best... I never really paid much attention. I agree with picking one that makes sense for your gear setup and going with it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:45 am 
Friend
Friend

dbharris wrote:
The differences in that will be subtle, in my opinion. I did the same setup and bought 2 8 ohm speakers. I have my cab wired up where I can choose both in series (16 ohm), both in parallel (4 ohm), or either speaker at 8 ohms. If you want options, you could try something like that. Otherwise, pick a setup and don't worry about it again. i think you would hear and feel more differences in tone with fluctuations to your line voltage.

-Dan

I did some more research after posting my question and basically came to the same conclusion you've presented here. Can you point me to any information on how you wired your cabinet?

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:11 am 
Friend
Friend

I think if you search online you should be able to find some series/parallel switching diagrams. But I took the easy way, I had Guitar Cabinets Direct build my cab and include this jack setup: https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/jack-plate-plug-and-play-mono-stereo

It was really simple to hook up speakers to it, I loaded the cab myself.

Good luck and let us know how it sounds!

-Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:51 am 

Nice, this is the problem i posted, luckily i have an answer for it now.

world of mario

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:21 am 

There's a widely held belief that 18W transformers, such as 16 Ohms, are optimal. Personally, I haven't given it much consideration. I align with the idea of choosing one that suits your gear setup and sticking with it. Descargar WhatsApp Plus v12 APK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:51 am 

dbharris wrote:
I think if you search online you should be able to find some series/parallel switching diagrams. But I took the easy way, I had Guitar Cabinets Direct build my cab and include this jack setup: https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/jack-plate-plug-and-play-mono-stereo geometry dash

It was really simple to hook up speakers to it, I loaded the cab myself.

Good luck and let us know how it sounds!

-Dan

It sounds great, thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:14 pm 
Friend
Friend

Matches well with many infinite craft unblocked speakers: Some speakers, particularly vintage or higher-end models, might have a 16 ohm impedance. Using them with a 16 ohm configuration ensures a perfect match.