trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Speaker suggestions?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:59 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi Grosben68, welcome. I tried some Celestions..Blue and Gold, Classic 80, Vintage 30, with my Tramp but ended up with an Eminence Cannabis Rex. This speaker is so smooth with a touch of darker tones, just right for old tunes from the 40's and 50's. My Tramp has an old Sylvanis 6L6 power tube that gives up the goods. I don't use overdrive, however, I've lent this amp to a real "rocker" friend, and he just loves the combination. It sounds fabulous when cranked.
You can buy Eminence speakers in Canada from Qcomponents in Waterloo Ontario…no need to worry about the US shipping and brokerage charges. Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:06 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Has anyone tried the 12" Tone Tubby Humbolt Ceramic? (The Low watter -> 25W).
Rated at 25W 94dB I'm interested in this speaker for my low volume applications at home. My Tramp Head usage now incorporates swapping between 2 cabs. For home use I swap in a 6V6 and plug the head into a largish cab fitted with an inefficient 12" Jensen MOD (94dB), very nice tone for home use at low volumes. For playing out I swap in a 6L6GC and plug into a large cab fitted with an efficient Texas Heat speaker (99dB) and that 5dB extra efficiency and the 6L6GC gives me a huge lift in volume. It's like having a completely different amp to suit the situation. I'm curious if the Tone Tubby would be a tonal improvement over the Jensen in my "home-use" cab.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:26 pm 
Friend
Friend

I second the ET-65 - it has been a great speaker in the Tramp. Awesome cleans and dirties :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:53 pm 
Friend
Friend

No457 Snowy wrote:
Has anyone tried the 12" Tone Tubby Humbolt Ceramic? (The Low watter -> 25W).
Rated at 25W 94dB I'm interested in this speaker for my low volume applications at home. My Tramp Head usage now incorporates swapping between 2 cabs. For home use I swap in a 6V6 and plug the head into a largish cab fitted with an inefficient 12" Jensen MOD (94dB), very nice tone for home use at low volumes. For playing out I swap in a 6L6GC and plug into a large cab fitted with an efficient Texas Heat speaker (99dB) and that 5dB extra efficiency and the 6L6GC gives me a huge lift in volume. It's like having a completely different amp to suit the situation. I'm curious if the Tone Tubby would be a tonal improvement over the Jensen in my "home-use" cab.

Thanks to everyone who answered,

I'm about to go for the ET-65.
However, No457 Snowy got a point about the low efficiency for home use; did someone have heard of WGS G12Q (96dB), see http://www.diffusion-audio.com/xcart/WGS-12-G12Q.html ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:43 pm 
Friend
Friend

I use mine at home with the ET-65. The Tramp has an awesome VVR that will tame volume, and the Master works exceptionally well. I don't think you need to worry about it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:00 am 
Experienced
Experienced

One of the benefits of having a Head version and also the Tramp's variable impedance selection is the convenience of easily mixing and matching different speakers/cab combinations, this combined with the switchable impedance and swap-able power tube are part of the magic recipe of the Tramp's versatility so it can be easily configured for different usage scenarios. I'll agree the VRM and Master work well on the Tramp but I find a lower efficiency speaker (in my case 5dB lower) can drop a LOT of unneeded volume to suit a lower volume environment without twisting the knobs much from settings where I find my amp sounds it's optimal, a 3dB drop is like halving the amp's power output. Each to his own though, it depends on what you like to do, I just find more satisfying results and less tonal compromise when the speaker efficiency is tailored to suit to the task at hand, be that higher volume or lower volume application. So I have a different cab for each different scenario, some people have entirely different amps. We are spoiled for choice of great speakers these days and they provide real tuning opportunities with regard to volume efficiency and tonal variation to match personal tastes, amp tone, cab style and/or volume requirements. Figure out/decide how you will use the amp and use that as a starting point to guide your speaker choice, other people will always tend to recommend what they have but it might not suit you ears or end requirements at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:28 am 
Experienced
Experienced

The first time I fired up my Tramp was through a closed back 112 cab with a WGS green beret. Switched to Tude mode and cranked it...total sonic awesomeness.
I agree with you Snowy...using other cabs opens up a lot of possibilities with this versatile amp and that everybody has their own personal favorite sound. I was absolutely convinced a celestion blue was going to be the perfect speaker for the tramp because, well...it was a celestion blue. But it just didn't completely do it for me. Others may have thought it was a match made in heaven.
Always fun to experiment, and who knows..a year from now I might have a new "perfect" speaker for it, as I find my own preferences change over the years.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:40 pm 
Friend
Friend

Just ordered a ET-65, as a all-around speaker to put in the combo cab so I have only one box to carry. If I want a less sensitive speaker for home use, I will put one in a separate cab...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:01 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The ET-65 sounds like a great choice, I'm curious about that speaker myself it seems to get a lot of positive reviews.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:32 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We bought one to try with the OSD. It gets great reviews.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:40 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I know this is an older thread but it seemed appropriate to reply here vs. starting a redundant one.

Just for fun I swapped out my trusty WGS ET-65 and put in an Avatar Speakers Alinco A25, 12". I've been using this speaker the past couple of years in an open-back 2x12 paired with a WGS Green Beret with my Superlite 18watt head as well as a Vox AC15 clone. It sounds great in that cab with those amps.

First of all, the good news is that the speaker clears the chassis and fits fine in the Tramp cab. As you might expect, the A25 adds a little more top-end sparkle vs the high-end smoothness of the ET65. But the mids and bass are rounded out really well. Also a little more speaker breakup when pushed hard vs. the ET65, which makes sense due to the wattage of the speakers. The A25 doesn't have as significant of the characteristic "Kraaang" that the CB has. Way back when I first built the Tramp, I tried out a hemp-cone Celestion Blue that I had and it just didn't do it for me, so I wasn't sure what to expect with the A25. I am really liking how this pairs with the Tramp and will leave it in for a while at least. The speaker is by no means cheap (~$180 USD), but I've found it is a great speaker for that "certain sound". I actually like it a little better than my CB.

On a side note, I also tried to put in the WGS Veteran 30 and it did not clear the chassis. The magnet diameter is barely too wide..maybe 1/2" total... to fit in there, at least with the position of where my speaker cut out is.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:48 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Good to know of an alternative. I dont know there was a hemp-cone Celestion Blue?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:15 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

It was a recone done by "A Brown Soun" about 10-12 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:59 am 
Friend
Friend

I've been reviewing several speakers and the comments here to help me with my choice for my Tramp build but I don't seem to be any closer to making a decision. It does appear that spending more doesn't necessarily guarantee you a sound you'll like and in a lot of cases the lower cost speakers (ET-65) are providing better outcomes. I have a Line 6 DT50 amp that has a Celestion Vintage 30 and a Celestion/Line 6 spec'd speaker in it (2x12). This amp boils down amp sounds into four basic groups: American Clean (Fender), English Crunch (Marshall), English Chime (Vox), Modern High Gain (Mesa Boogie). I think this might be a good way to look at how you might want to choose the speaker for the Tramp. To me, the Tramp does what this amp does. Change the power tube and you've got a different amp. The ultimate way to utilize the Tramp IMHO is to build it as a head and then run it through 2x12 or 4x12 cab. By being able to use more than one speaker you can cover a lot of sonic ground while being able to swap out power tubes. When built as a combo amp it becomes a bit more restrictive. Yes, you can still run a separate cabinet but I think most of us like the convenience of a combo. It would be interesting to see a survey of how many Tramp owners fall into each of the categories of amps and how much overlap there is. I'm a newbie when it comes to guitar amps and probably have the least knowledge of anyone here to be giving any advice. Right now, I feel a bit like Alice in Wonderland and I've fallen into the rabbit hole.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:52 pm 
Friend
Friend

I like the sound of the WGS Blackhawk HP I picked up.

Kinda overkill power, but crisper & louder than my Greenback M.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hey, looking for a 10" speaker for a Tramp. ~$100. G10C or G10C/S? ET10? Cannabis Rex?
Suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:06 pm 
Friend
Friend

I'm going with a "Fat Jimmy" C1025 for my "just started to be built" Tramp. These speakers are designed to work great with vintage Fender amps. I have a Fat Jimmy C1270 for my 1969 Fender Bassman 50W head. The owner of Vintage Fender Amp Repair in California designed them and Warehouse speakers builds them.

https://vintagefenderamprepair.com/prod ... 8451140301

C1025: Our favourite 10″ speaker. Rated at 25 watts, this 10″ speaker has a certain magical quality to it. It delivers everything you could want in a 10″ speaker – punchy lows, richly textured mids, and smooth, round highs. As a single speaker it adds just the right amount of speaker breakup to your sound when pushed, without losing the tight ‘clean’ characteristics you need for optinal performance, even at higher volumes. This speaker has the smoothest, creamiest overdrive characteristics of any speaker in the FJVS lineup (which is saying quite a bit). An incredible upgrade for a Princeton Reverb or any vintage Fender with 1 x 10″ speaker! Highly recommended as a full replacement set in any 4 x 10″ combo such as a Super Reverb or Tweed Bassman, or any 2 x 10″ combo such as a Vibrolux Reverb, Brown Super, Tweed Super, etc. MAGIC in Tweed circuits (does wonders for a tweed Vibrolux)!! This setup will also help your 4 x 10″ or 2 x 10″ combo shed some serious weight! Rated for 25w.