trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:43 pm 

I've been going crazy trying to decide on a low wattage (20 watts or lower) plexi like amp to get the great classic rock tones. After watching what seems like a million videos and starting a few recommendation threads, I'm seriously thinking about building one. I've never built an amp, but have worked inside amps, changing components, etc. I've also built a few pedals, and wired up many guitars. I'm curious to hear other's experiences.

I like the mkii version of this Trinity kit, https://www.trinityamps.com/product/trinity-18-kit/. They have a good builders forum, as well as great instructions specific to the build. What do you guys think? Is it worth the time, or should I just shell out the money for an amp?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:07 am 

It's worth every second, I say go for it. Be warned you'll get hooked. I always worried when I started building amps about buying parts to stock up, thinking that I may lose interest and be stuck with hundreds of dollars in parts. It's 20 years later and I'm still building.
When people ask me about building kits I always refer them here. Sure you can buy an amp, but you will love it more in the end, having the satisfaction of having built it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:55 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Even tough builds can be done your first time, but an easier build like Triton, Tweed or Tramp is a good start.
you need to :
1. Read the manual
2. Practice Soldering
3. Go Slow and ask questions
4. Pay attention to detail.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:24 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I'll chime in if you are still paying attention...

Definitely follow Coco's 4-step program.

Going in, my experience level was similar to yours. Except maybe slightly more because I also dabble in hobby electronics/robotics/Arduino type stuff so I knew my way around a soldering iron and was comfortable following build instructions and schematics. My first amp build was a Trinity TC15. I made one minor mistake wiring-up the Contour control, other than that it was smooth sailing... I took my time and it came out great! The great assembly guide was a huge plus and I could not have done it without that for sure.

Also, make sure you have a really good adjustable soldering iron! Something at least like this... https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/p ... ng-station or a similar Hakko or BBQ, but for $40 it will be very hard to beat that one I linked.

Now, I am oh a dozen or more amp builds in and just finished my third Trinity kit (OSD and Plexi 6V6.) hint: DON'T start with the ODS as your first build!!! That was easily the 2nd most complicated build I've ever done and lead-dress while always important is EXTREMELY important in this one.

So, if you really really want an 18-watter I think you can do it if you are detail-oriented, take your time and if you are not sure, stop and ask here before moving on. If you are feeling hesitant, start with a smaller kit like one coco suggested.

It is VERY rewarding and VERY addicting! With the DIY spirit I have an amp room full of wonderful amps that would have cost me north of $200,000 if I had purchased the "real deal."

Have fun and be safe!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:41 pm 

This is the soldering iron that I have, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z3KCVCL/re ... UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:43 pm 

This is ultimately the tone I'd eventually want. But the kit that he used appears to be a plexi 4 hole. Would the 18 watt from Trinity have a similar preamp section?

https://youtu.be/eGBc4lC8zaY