trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:41 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. I'd like to try EL34's at some point. Is there a big difference in tonality between them and the KT66's ?

I'll have to see if my amp has that tap available as I bought it already built. Are there any procedures printed up for the EL34 option anywhere, does anyone know ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:46 pm 
Friend
Friend

You can read this thread and it should help you. But if your OT is older and it doesn’t have the 3.5 k taps than you cannot use EL34 tubes. If the wires are there they will be blue with a white stripe and brown with a white stripe stowed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:20 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks mate...I'll take a look when I get home from work. I guess if I really wanted to I could order a new OT ?! If that's my only option that is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:23 pm 
Friend
Friend

Yes you could do that.i don’t play My son does I was the one that built it. He has played 6V6, KT66 and the EL34S in it. I can ask him about the tonal
Differences and post it later tonight
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:22 pm 
Friend
Friend

Yep, it has the original OT in it. If you can let me know about the EL34's when you get some time, that would be appreciated.

Thanks, Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:36 pm 
Friend
Friend

The el 34s in my opinion are the best in it, you can easily get a nice lead tone without a boost or anything which is something the kt66 and 6V6 did well with but the 34s were stronger. Definitely felt more 70’s rock ish with the 34s, similar in gain to 70s marshalls but a different feel and more note definition.

Here are some pages out of the build manual. The extra taps are the later OT. Not sure when Stephen changed it.
Mark

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 2.29 MiB | Viewed 7793 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.76 MiB | Viewed 7793 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:55 pm 
Friend
Friend

Looks like a new OT is on the cards provided it's not too crazy a cost. Will drop them a line for a price . Thanks for doing this Mark. I really appreciate you taking the time.

Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:29 am 
Friend
Friend

Your welcome, we really like the amp and it was a blast to build.. I have some pictures in another thread “Triwatt build from Texas”. Check it out if you haven’t. I’ve subscribed so if you have questions I’ll see it
Enjoy the amp
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:14 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanks Mark. I've had it for a few months now, just haven't had the time to fix some small annoying issues but everything's running as it should now.
Just made myself a combo cab this weekend. Almost finished the build. Should be complete this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:20 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The OT has supported EL34 for just a year now. Seemed logical to add even more flexibility.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:15 pm 
Friend
Friend

I'm trying to decide whether to swap out my speaker first or go for the EL34's and change the OT. Looks like we'll have some shows in the next month or two , if the contracts come through it will help with the funding !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:40 pm 
Friend
Friend

Output transformer ordered !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:44 pm 
Friend
Friend

Excellent, I’ll be here if you need help
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:15 pm 

I started my build with 6V6 but switched to EL34's soon after I got it running. This was early in the pandemic in 2020. I took out the 6V6/KT66 switch completely and ran everything direct. Left in the 620 Ohm and found 200 Ohms in R43 did it for me. I get about 450v on pin 3 and have the bias at about 40mv. Has always sounded spectacular. Just finally got the Trinity effects loop working and it added a whole new dimension to the amp. Amazing! I know Trinity has had supply issues but I hope all the best for them as they are fantastic...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:39 am 

matt_garman wrote:
So just to confirm, for EL34 operation, @rotorcraft230, looks like you found success by:
  • Putting the bias switch in the KT66 position (to remove the Zener diode, and keep the plate voltage higher)
  • Completely removing R44 (620k)
  • Changing R43 from 180k to 220k
  • Using the 3k5 transformer taps (brown/white + blue/white)

This is a bit different that what was suggested by the builder's guide, which says that only R44/620k would need to be increased to 1M. (Also interesting is the schematic says "alt 910k" for the R44/620k resistor.)

I've been wanting to do this for a while now, but keep putting it off. I just need to order some resistors.

Thanks!

So after my last post, I've rebuilt my Triwatt using Sozo and F&T capacitors and I had it wrong before, I can verify that removing R44 620K and going to 220K in R43 brings the bias into the correct range. I also bought a bias probe and discovered that I'd been biasing too cold, as the external method needs to add 5-6 mv for the additional screen voltage. I'm using Mullard EL34's and they are within 2 mv of each other so I have the higher one biased at 44 mv and the lower at 42 using the external probes. Using the proper bias probe directly on the tubes gives about 39 mA on the higher tube. Lastly I discovered for some reason, after mistakenly leaving it on for a few hours, takes on an entirely new character of sweetness! Some further research and it comes into it's own between 30 - 45 minutes, I can't explain why other than the PT is nice and warm to the touch at that point, but the difference is night and day...I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but after some googling it appears to be common in general in tube amplifiers...Regardless I'm now completely over the moon with my Triwatt, it's just beautiful, does everything you could want in an amplifier...!