trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another triwatt build
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:21 am 
Friend
Friend

Good morning all! I'm sure I'm going to have a bunch of noob questions. I just wanna make sure I'm not losing my mind. Just wires up the filament circuit and was buzzing it out with my ohmmeter. I'm getting continuity to ground and was wondering if that's a ok. (In my head I'm just assuming it's getting that through the ground center tap.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:59 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Capn', did you ever get the heaters to check out? Did removing the center tap solve the problem?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:16 pm 
Friend
Friend

I didn't have much time today, I'm not too worried about it. I've actually not done an amp with a grounded CT on the filaments before, but it makes sense they're all showing grounded since it's such a small resistance part of the secondaries and "half" of that winding is grounded!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:26 pm 
Expert
Expert

Yes, the center tap of the heater winding is connected to ground and the DC resistance of the two halves of the winding is very low. So you should see a very low resistance reading from each heater pin on the tube sockets to ground. If you want to check your wiring and your ohmmeter can't read tenths of an ohm, disconnect the transformer's heater winding center tap from ground as Hank said.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:44 am 
Friend
Friend

Another question I have now is in regards to R39 and R42. The cap drain resistors to ground. In the schematic, a wattage isn't called for but in the layout and the assembly manual, they're specified at 2 watts. My kit was shipped with the blue colored oxide resistors whereas a couple other 2 watt resistors are the larger grey ones. I'm just wondering how much of an issue if any this will be when it comes time to play! Doing a little math on my end, 350RMS will produce almost 500 VAC peak, which brings the power through the resistor just a hair over a watt dissipation. I am wondering, though, since they're not completely "active" all the time, if this will be an issue down the road. Thanks all! (maybe they are indeed 2 watts, but they're smaller than the grey ones and I've not had enough experience with these little guys to know the true difference.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:13 pm 
Expert
Expert

Use the blue resistors. They should be 2-watt. Metal oxide resistors tend to be smaller than similar valued carbon ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:41 pm 
Friend
Friend

Already soldered them in, more of a question really, I figured this ain't Coco's first rodeo on sending kit! I'm really having a hard time convincing myself to take my time on this build! After the 18 watt build, I'm just itching to get this bad boy going!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

Just keep it slow and steady my friend.
The build will probably take anywhere between a few days and a month (depending on your spare time). You will eventually be playing the amp for 20+ years. A little patience and taking your time will definetly pay off in the long run.

I take a look at my amp wiring once a week since I spent so much time getting it all tidy and neat. It is very satisfying checking my work every now and then tbh.

And last, if you rush the job and miss something, it can be a real pain in the *** to spot the mistake and fix it accordingly.

Really, take your time and enjoy the build. It is so much fun! :-)

Good luck!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:23 pm 
Friend
Friend

Yeah, that's really the hardest! I'm a pilot and I've been on reserve so I keep getting called out and it's hard to not just rush and slap everything together. It's not my complete first time and I've learned lessons on other amps that I'm trying to bring to this one! Rebuilding a very sick twin reverb build that I rushed through definitely taught the lesson to take my time. I completely skipped a tube socket when I wired it up, got to the end of the line before the power tubes and saw the spare socket...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:44 pm 
Friend
Friend

Holy smokes, this thing is awesome! Dead silent when I’m not playing and absolutely killer when I am. Can’t wait to play it more during a stretch of days off in the future! Coco, if it’s alright, I’ll email you with a review and if you’d like, let me know where else I can post to sing it’s praises!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

Capn_starsky wrote:
Holy smokes, this thing is awesome!

Hell yeah! It sure is! Best amp I've ever had. And I had a bunch!