trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:03 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I bought my Triwatt kit some time ago. But other work and home priorities have pushed starting it to the back burner. I’ve been remodeling my house, and one project led to another. So I couldn’t devote non-work “project time” to anything other than the house.

But now there’s a light at the end of the tunnel! I’ll be starting the build soon. Before doing so, wanted to ask some questions so I can hit the ground running. And since it’s been some time since I ordered, I can’t remember all the research I did back then!

FX Loop:

Does the kit contain parts and instructions for an effects loop? I’ve read some old posts talking about loops. I just don’t remember if they are integrated with the kit.

From what I’ve read, the loops people have employed are serial, which is fine with me. Does anyone have any feedback on how well such a loop works with the Triwatt? Does it require rack effects (line level), or will stomp boxes work too? For me, I’m thinking reverb and maybe delay.

Overdrive Footswitch:

My main purpose for purchasing the Triwatt is admittedly the classic clean Hiwatt tone as a pedal platform. But the Triwatt obviously has a pretty nice overdrive channel built in.

I see from the Trinity site that there’s an option for “Footswitch Boost”. My assumption is that’s just a Footswitch to engage the overdrive. Is that correct?

I assume my kit doesn’t actually have a footswitch. I suppose I can build my own. But does the kit come with the components (including chassis hole and jack) and instructions to prep it for a footswitch?

Sorry for all the potentially simple questions. I almost feel like I probably knew all or most of the answers back when I ordered. But a lot of stuff has transpired since then. And I’m getting old!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:09 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I don't think the Triwatt kit has the parts for either the OD or the footswitch. There is a OD kit apparently with the board, relays, etc. and the foot switch available on the Triwatt kit page. As far as FX loop, you probably need to download the current build guide (ver.3, I think). It has some guidance for Fx loop in it (again, I think so). While your on the kit page, check out the Tube Fx Loop that Stephen has developed with Saul Corral. When I build a Triwatt, I want to put one of those in it :thumbsup: :!:

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:24 am 
Expert
Expert

I haven't built a Triwatt, so maybe somebody who has can elaborate more. But I have read the Triwatt Builders Guide several times. There's a wealth of information there.

The Builder's Guide just mentions installing two jacks between the Master Volume control and the power amp for an optional passive FX loop. I don't think the jacks come with the kit because the guide also mentions drilling holes in the chassis for them and I don't see them on the materials list.

You'll have to check to see if you ordered the optional kit with the relay board and the footswitch for the OD. The standard amp has the OD stage but you engage it with a push/pull switch on the Overdrive pot.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:14 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Hankules wrote:
I don't think the Triwatt kit has the parts for either the OD or the footswitch. There is a OD kit apparently with the board, relays, etc. and the foot switch available on the Triwatt kit page. As far as FX loop, you probably need to download the current build guide (ver.3, I think). It has some guidance for Fx loop in it (again, I think so). While your on the kit page, check out the Tube Fx Loop that Stephen has developed with Saul Corral. When I build a Triwatt, I want to put one of those in it :thumbsup: :!:

Thanks you for the reply.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:15 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Thank you too. I’ll have to find the original purchase order or actually open up the darn package and see what’s hiding inside that head!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:16 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

FWIW, in case anybody cares...

I've put off my Triwatt build for over a year as I prioritized my house and yard remodel. It's kind of killing me seeing the darn thing on the amp rack ... unbuilt. I try to not even touch the thing. The entire contents are still there inside that beautiful head.

But I'm finally in the home stretch of my remodel. Just a little bit of work here and there over the next month. I'll be getting on it and inevitably asking more questions here. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:44 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Hope the remodel is going well and you will be able to start your Triwatt build soon. At least you have a kit, about the time I decided to buy a Triwatt kit, it was "SOLD OUT!" Per a PM to Stephen, in June, about 1 to 2 months before he has it back in stock (I check the sales daily). Have you had time to research the footswitch and FX loop yet? I'm interested in the new buffered tube FX kit that Stephen is offering, which also allows you to match the levels on Return and Send and has a true bypass switch.

Best wishes, Hank S.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:56 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

PS In previous replies, I misstated saying OD and footswitch not included :bugeye: As Mitch pointed out, the OD is integral to the amp; the footswitch OD option defeats the push/pull switch on the front of the amp(DUH).Also, when you do start your build, I'm always interested in reading about and seeing (pictures, please) other people's builds.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:06 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I will certainly post when the build eventually starts.