trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:15 am 
Friend
Friend

I'd like to install the film capacitors in their ideal direction. I've identified the shielded side on each and i understand that it needs to go to the low impedance side of the circuit. However I can't identify the low impedance side of the circuit for all of the caps. I'm including the two youtube videos i used as reference. The longer video points out shield towards plate or unshielded towards grid. However aside from the obvious ones, i'm not certain. I'd default towards ground in general but my circuit knowledge is limited. So can someone chime in here. I'm thinking using the color diagram from left to right listing whether the shielded side is north (up) or south (down).
Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnR_DLd1PDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHuW082TGXg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:21 pm 
Expert
Expert

That's an interesting question. Yes, the link you posted to Paul Carlson's video on the subject is very informative and the little testing jig he made is neat. His videos are always very detailed with lots of good information about building unique test equipment and restoring vintage electronics.

Referring to the Tramp layout drawing, most of the capacitors should be mounted so the outside foil is towards the tube end of the chassis. Except for the .1uF and .047uF at the end of the board. Their outside foil should be towards the pot end of the chassis.

I marked the outside foil end of the capacitors on this drawing.

Attachment:
TrampLayout27.pdf [447.55 KiB]
Downloaded 499 times

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:54 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thank you for that. Bonus points for marking up the schematic. My one question for my education is why the .01 tone stack cap is not best the opposite way? it's 22k resistor to ground vs 56k resistor to plate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:00 pm 
Friend
Friend

After creating this thread I did happen upon a thread where Coco said the shielding direction doesn't matter for this build. Just an FYI for anyone that doesn't want to fuss over it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:15 am 
Expert
Expert

I was wondering about the .01uF capacitor in the tone stack, too. It's sort of 50-50 which way it should go.

On the one hand, the lower impedance is towards the plate of the previous stage and the higher impedance is towards the grid of the following stage. I tend to think of the tone stack as a single filter network between the two stages, so I suggested orienting all of its capacitors with their outside foil towards the plate of the previous stage.

On the other hand, if you consider the individual components in the network, the lower impedance end of the .01uF capacitor could be towards the 22k resistor to ground.

Impedances in filter networks are tricky to figure out. Lots of math is involved. Luckily, as Stephen said, which way the capacitors are oriented doesn't really matter in this circuit. I doubt if you would hear any difference in the hum and noise no matter which way the tone stack capacitors are mounted on the board.

It doesn't hurt to try to get the capacitors in their optimum orientations, though. When we build amps for ourselves we have lots of time to take extra steps that go beyond what factories have time for.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:29 am 

GonzoBananas wrote:
I'd like to install the film capacitors in their ideal direction. I've identified the shielded side on each and i understand that it needs to go to the low impedance side of the circuit. Anyway I can't recognize the low impedance side of the circuit for the covers in general. I'm including the two youtube recordings I utilized as reference. The more drawn out video brings up best essays towards plate or unshielded towards lattice. Anyway beside the conspicuous ones, i'm unsure. I'd default towards ground overall however my circuit information is restricted. So can someone chime in here. I'm thinking using the color diagram from left to right listing whether the shielded side is north (up) or south (down).
Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnR_DLd1PDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHuW082TGXg

Film capacitors do not have a polarity - they can be used in AC circuits and some types (such as polycarbonate or polypropylene capacitors) can be used in high-frequency or RF applications.