trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Startup For #2 Tramp
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:35 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Started the terrifying process of checking voltages on second Tramp. Has gone from horribly and terrifyingly scary (tweed build), terrifyingly scary (first Tramp) and now merely terrifying. ;) Used the supplied 250V 1A fuse. Got 115.6-115.4VAC on line voltage and 643VAC (no tubes) at B+. Will post readings with tubes installed later.

I would like to build the light bulb limiter, however, the US government has decided that incandescent bulbs are an environmental no-no. If I can't get them, will LED light bulbs work? Inquiring minds would like to know. :hmmm:

Post subject: Re: Startup For #2 Tramp
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:11 pm 
Expert
Expert

Good that you are still scared to test high voltage. You don't want to get so blase about it that you get careless. Good practice is to clip the black probe to chassis ground and try to use only one hand to hold the red probe while keeping your other hand in your pocket.

I doubt that an LED bulb would work for the current limiter. Maybe you can find an incandescent bulb in an old lamp or order one online.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:22 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks, Mitch. That's what I thought on the LED bulb. As far as HV I clip a lead when possible. I'm old and re-fried, er, retired; don't to stop my heart now! Also, the 643 VAC was at power leads to board, not B+ :!: As far as the limiter, probably build one and look for a bulb later.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:56 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Started testing voltages. Line voltage is hovering near 120-119 VAC. Voltage at rectifier diodes 630 VAC w/ no tubes. Heater voltage at 6.8 VAC. Checked DC voltages at test points shown on layout w/ tubes installed(see attachment). Are these within tolerance or are they low (particularly V1 pins 1 and 6)?

Attachments:
IMG_0001.pdf [892.84 KiB]
Downloaded 353 times
Layout Voltages 10-02-2019.pdf [898.48 KiB]
Downloaded 367 times

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:12 am 
Expert
Expert

I saw the pictures of your Tramp that you put on Les537's post. It looks good. I like the carbon fiber you put on the chassis.

Too bad there isn't a good electronics store near you in Oklahoma City. Paia is there, though, if you want kits for music, but they don't sell guitar amps or parts for them. I used to buy kits from Paia and I even went to see them when I visited Oklahoma City back in 1984.

I live in a small town too. It's on the west coast of Canada. No electronics stores here, either. There are a couple of electronics stores in Vancouver, which is about three hours away. Their selection is limited, though, nothing like the major industrial wholesalers who were there until the 1980s.

I mainly order parts from Mouser and Antique Electronic Supply, too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:10 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Good to hear from you and appreciate the comments. Again, lucky that it doesn't take too long for stuff to make it here. An advantage being close to the intersection of I-40 and I-35. Also, Amazon opened a fulfillment center in OKC. It's good for some things like tools; not always good for electronics (lots of junk in with a little of the quality stuff).