trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:47 am 
Friend
Friend

Hi all,
My tramp is getting close... But I'm suddenly confused. I think I may have made a mistake when I labeled all the resistors, and now I'm unsure if I have everything right. I've looked at all your builds a million times, but it seems there's a lot of variance between different builds, as far as the resistors provided. This is only my second amp build, and one I've looked forward to for a long time. If you can help, please feel free! And take all my thanks!!

Attachments:
File comment: Mosfet side of the board.
IMG_20190520_072601.jpg
IMG_20190520_072601.jpg [ 2.12 MiB | Viewed 11717 times ]
File comment: The rest of the board.
IMG_20190520_072555.jpg
IMG_20190520_072555.jpg [ 2.38 MiB | Viewed 11717 times ]
File comment: V2 socket. The 10k, 2w resistor is not there, because I accidentally put the 100k, 1w cf resistor on pins 5&6. It is on the board now where it belongs.(I think)
IMG_20190520_072616.jpg
IMG_20190520_072616.jpg [ 1.87 MiB | Viewed 11717 times ]
File comment: The resistors I haven't used yet. Hoping one of these is my resistor for v2, pins 5&6.
IMG_20190520_072606.jpg
IMG_20190520_072606.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 11717 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:24 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Looks like you are missing a grey metal oxide (10K,Brn-Blk-O) in your remaining resistors. Are you located someplace where you have an electronics store? If not, you may have buy online. Resistors are fairly cheap, but shipping is murder. Amazon can work , but locating the proper values is a pain! I live in OK and I use Antique Electronics Supply/Amplified Parts(same people, different name) in Tempe,AZ. Takes 4 to 5 days, but their shipping straight down I-40 to me!!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:07 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hankules wrote:
Looks like you are missing a grey metal oxide (10K,Brn-Blk-O) in your remaining resistors. Are you located someplace where you have an electronics store? If not, you may have buy online. Resistors are fairly cheap, but shipping is murder. Amazon can work , but locating the proper values is a pain! I live in OK and I use Antique Electronics Supply/Amplified Parts(same people, different name) in Tempe,AZ. Takes 4 to 5 days, but their shipping straight down I-40 to me!!

Is the missing resistor the one I'm missing at v2, pins 5&6? Does everything else look ok? And the cf resistor that's unlabeled, it's a 10k, correct? Would that work instead of MO?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:52 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The unlabeled resistor is a carbon film,1/2 or 1W 100K(brown, black,yellow). You probably need a 2W power resistor on V2,pin 5 & 6 since it's a power tube. You have a 10k 1W labeled near the top of your pic. Build guide and schematic call for a 2W on pins 5 &6 on V2. I don't know if the 1W would last :shock: Have you wired V1? V1 has a 10K 1W shown on pin2 to terminal strip.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:06 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Page 34 of builders guide shows what it should look like. Here's a good resistor code finder for future reference http://www.searchingtabs.com/rcolor/rescolor.htm Power resistors are usually gray or blue w/ a rough exterior. NOTE: the one blue (5R) you have in pic goes near VRM in power section. Check your work on layout. You may not have gotten or maybe mislaid the resistor you need.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:08 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Good luck. The Tramp sounds great when you get it done.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:49 am 
Friend
Friend

Hankules wrote:
Page 34 of builders guide shows what it should look like. Here's a good resistor code finder for future reference http://www.searchingtabs.com/rcolor/rescolor.htm Power resistors are usually gray or blue w/ a rough exterior. NOTE: the one blue (5R) you have in pic goes near VRM in power section. Check your work on layout. You may not have gotten or maybe mislaid the resistor you need.

The 5R,2w resistor goes on v2, pins 5/6, correct?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:23 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

NO! The blue 5R goes on the board near the VRM!! Have you installed resistors on V1 (preamp) socket? Post a picture of V1, if you have. V1 uses a smaller wattage 10K resistor (in your remaining resistor photo) than the V2 (power tube socket). Metal oxide power resistors are usually blue (1W),or gray(2W). Look at my post on "State of the Tramp Message), it has a fairly good pic of amp guts. once it's up, you can click your computer cursor and magnify any section. Also, you can contact Coco (Stephen) using the "Send A PM" section from your User Account Control (upper right of forum page) to get a definite answer. Here is gut shot of my Tramp
Attachment:
DSCN1467.JPG
DSCN1467.JPG [ 3.39 MiB | Viewed 11694 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:44 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I like to re-check each resistor with a meter just prior to installing it, just as a triple check to confirm I've identified it's value correctly, it's location according to the schematic/layout and also helps to catch the rare case that any that might be out of spec.

My build is a few years old now but I posted some reasonably clear shots as I went, I'll find it and put a link, it may help.

Edit: Here it is, hope it helps:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3188

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:28 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Snowy, that was some pretty work and very clear photos. Hopefully it 'll help Epifool. I'm beginning to think he either mislaid, didn't get or installed the 10K power resistor on the V1 socket which uses a 10K CF. There's no place else on the current layout that uses a 10K resistor and his photo didn't show V1.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:33 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

PS If something is missing , I just order the proper part. And thanks again for the help

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:40 am 
Friend
Friend

I must not have gotten it. I'll order one or some from somewhere. I've checked every resistor. V1 isn't wired yet, that's why no pics. And I was tired trying to reply the other day, that's how I confused the blue and grey. I knew the remainng blue went next to the vrm. Was just hoping I had made an easy mistake. Thanks all, will update as I progress toward the end!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:28 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Good luck with the remainder of your build, looking forward to the updates. Probably a good idea to let Stephen know directly about any missing parts as I'm pretty sure he would pop a resistor or any other parts in an envelope and send them to you if you are missing any.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:29 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

No457 Snowy wrote:
Good luck with the remainder of your build, looking forward to the updates. Probably a good idea to let Stephen know directly about any missing parts as I'm pretty sure he would pop a resistor or any other parts in an envelope and send them to you if you are missing any.

Just let me know what you need.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:39 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Epi, hope your build is going well. Post when you get it done.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:19 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for the offer, Stephen. I don't know if I misplaced the 10kR 2 watt resistor, or if it was missing. I checked all parts I received against the parts list, and it was checked off at one point, so I either confused it with something else or lost it. I bought a few from tube depot. My thought is that I might have confused it with a10k 1watt. Will be posting pics again soon, just getting back around to it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:43 am 
Friend
Friend

Ok! Finally got round to working on the tramp again. I installed the 10k, 2 watt MO in its place, and went to finish the board. I grab the bag with the Mosfet and it's resistors and diode, and, the diode is missing! It's the only bag I've never opened. So, I did the volume control jumper and resistors, finished some soldering, and called it a day. I think I'm going to switch from a cardboard box to a big tool box for my "in process" projects. Do I need a particular zener diode, or will or will any 1w 6.2 volt do? I've found them red and black just like whatcomes with the kit, and I've found ones that are black and silver.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:13 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

It's a very small diode with a kinda orange-ish body w/ a black stripe. Hope you find it. There should also be some red, small diameter heat shrink in the wiring/heat shrink bag, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:23 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Also, a flat, clear tackle box (1 3/4" x 8" x 14") and adjustable compartments that you can find in Wally World's sporting goods department is handy for small parts. Small round parts have a tendency to roll everywhere, I found that out!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:01 am 
Friend
Friend

Are the zener diode directional?