trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:54 am 
Friend
Friend

6L6 -

Santa brought me a Timmy for christmas hehe...Fantastic pedal for the TC15!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:26 pm 
Friend
Friend

JRS wrote:
6L6 -

Santa brought me a Timmy for christmas hehe...Fantastic pedal for the TC15!

beautiful!
For me that pedal really shines at gig volumes. I'm often amazed at how rich and juicy it sounds when I step on it for a solo or whatever. OTOH my favorite overdrive with this rig is frequently the volume knob on my guitar. So many options...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:53 am 
Friend
Friend

That's a fantastic looking build. I agree on the Timmy. I find it really shines on the EF86 channel with a little VRM dialed in. The other OD's that have worked well for me are the Rocket Blue Note and Skreddy's Screwdriver and Hybric Fuzz Driver. Again, I like them better on the EF86. My higher gain pedals (e.g., Wampler Suplerplex) sound way too fizzy, but really, I find I can get everything I need with a Timmy and the Hybrid Fuzz Driver (or the Screwdriver if I want a little more low end fuzziness).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:22 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks swhite! I agree the Timmy is a perfect companion pedal to the tc15.

Also reporting that I built another Klon clone and found the culprit of the fizziness (was a recommended resistor swap in the silver pony circuit). The tc15 now sounds fantastic with a Klon!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:36 pm 
Expert
Expert

Thanks for all the Timmy endorsements. I heard a lot of great things about that pedal but didn't know it worked so well with a TC-15. I'll have to check it out.

I have a Silver Pony although I haven't tried it with my TC-15. What is the resistor swap you mentioned? Did the swap clear up the fizziness? Or did the swap cause the fizziness and going back to the original resistor fixed it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:47 am 
Friend
Friend

mitch m wrote:
Thanks for all the Timmy endorsements. I heard a lot of great things about that pedal but didn't know it worked so well with a TC-15. I'll have to check it out.

I have a Silver Pony although I haven't tried it with my TC-15. What is the resistor swap you mentioned? Did the swap clear up the fizziness? Or did the swap cause the fizziness and going back to the original resistor fixed it?

I think with the transparency and the ability to eq pre (treble) and post (bass) gain, the Timmy is yet another way to get more sounds out of an already sonically complex amp.

Im by no means qualified to give too much insight or direction. I stumbled across the info through tons of web research (and dumb luck) :lol: And as always... what sounds good to one might not sound good to others and vice versa.

Silver Pony - Stock > (at least for me) Produces fizziness

Original resistor (one capacitor) values per April 2009 schematic by Martin Chittum > No fizziness but less gain

I followed this build: https://aionelectronics.com/project/refractor-centaur-overdrive/

I suggest socketing the resistors, the 1 capacitor and the diodes. I found the D9E diodes to be best for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:52 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi JRS,

Very nice amp, where did you find the perforated plate (grid?) on the back of the cab ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:57 am 
Friend
Friend

grosben68 wrote:
Hi JRS,

Very nice amp, where did you find the perforated plate (grid?) on the back of the cab ?

Thanks. I looked around for a while on amazon and came across this one > https://www.amazon.com/CCG-Perforated-Grill-Mesh-Sheet/dp/B00F3FJYGS. A little pricey, and there are other options out there, but this one for me was the perfect design. Custom Car Grills sells a tone of different options as well. http://www.customcargrills.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:20 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks, I did not think to look for car parts...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:19 pm 
Friend
Friend

Been really enjoying this amp! Played with a Red Lama fuzz/overdrive clone last night through channel 1 with channel 2 jumpered to add some extra texture and reverb/delay from the Fx Loop. Took me straight back to 90s rock/grunge. Lovin it!

A question for anyone willing to share. I am planning on shaping the tone of the EF86 channel to fit my cabinet/speaker. I want to add a bright switch on the volume pot with two mica capacitor values (bright/vintage tone) for additional options and I want to reduce the bass/mids just slightly.

Potential tweaks

1. Reduce C31 to .047uf

2. Reduce C30 to 22uf or 10uf

3. Do I need to reduce or change the value of R35 to match the reduction of either or both caps?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:59 am 
Friend
Friend

So I ended up only reducing the bypass cap (C30) to 22uf since the other capacitor (C31) swap altered the bass/tone too much for my taste. I also added the bright switch. Bass tightened up slightly and now I have additional flexibility on Channel 1's high end. Whoohoo! :D

Also learned a cool little trick for putting reverb on the EF86... On my reverb pedal there is a "kill dry" switch and when I have it engaged, the 2 channels jumped, effects loop on and channel 2 turned up slightly, I get a parallel fx loop. This allows the discrete tone of the EF86 to shine through and not get augmented by the 12AX7s tone as well as having great sounding reverb. 8)

Pics of the bright switch install if anyone is interested. Fits perfectly next to the volume pot.

Last edited by JRS on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:47 pm 
Friend
Friend

Wow - that is great stuff! Thank you so much for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:04 pm 
Friend
Friend

2x6L6 wrote:
Wow - that is great stuff! Thank you so much for sharing.

Very welcome. Hope to have some samples soon. Still waiting on the honeymoon phase to wear off. It should wear off soon, shouldn't it? hehe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:42 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Nice job on the build. Looks great. Good work on the mods too. Looking forward to clips!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:46 pm 
Friend
Friend

I am planning on sharing as much as possible along the way and hope that everyone will enjoy the pictures.

ทางบ้าน

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:28 am 
Friend
Friend

Start a build thread?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:40 pm 

JRS,

I know this post is a year old now but that cabinet is BEAUTIFUL. I’m looking to build a TC15 of my own, and was hoping to also build an Avalon style cabinet just like this. My father in law is a carpenter, and I thought it might be a nice way to spend some time with him if we built it together.

Did you use any kind of plans when you built the cabinet? If so, could you help a fellow Virginian brother out?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:41 am 

wow... wonderful great sizegenetics pics thanks

Last edited by Kazuko on Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:27 am 

JRS wrote:
Made some headway on the rest of the board, V1 and V2.

Wondering if the bare wire on the 68k grid resistors will bring any noticeable noise? http://www.hardmenstore.com/extenze-review/

That was the circuit i was talking about cheers :snooze: