Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My OSD build.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:26 am 
Friend
Friend

Hey everyone!

New member to the forum here. I thought I would post pictures of my OSD build as it goes along. I've long loved the tone of Dumble style amps, and I've made some attempts at Overdrive Special style builds in the past. I bit off a little bit more than I could chew at the time though, so I wasn't really satisfied with the results. I've built some Champs, 18 watters, and Trainwreck stuff since then, so it has given me some much needed time to work on my amp-building skills.

I picked up an OSD kit at the beginning of the month because I really liked how Trinity updated the layout - especially removing the FET board and powering the relays straight from the PT. I've been slowly working on it since then when time has allowed so. As you can see from the pics, I used a few different components for the coupling caps and the power light because I had them on hand and have worked with them in the past.

Special thanks to Stephen for his quick email responses when I had a question about the layout or builder's guide!

If anyone spots anything obviously incorrect please feel free to point it out!!!

All the best,
- Matt J.

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 4.01 MiB | Viewed 13930 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 3.75 MiB | Viewed 13930 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 4.03 MiB | Viewed 13930 times ]

Post subject: Re: My OSD build.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:55 am 
Friend
Friend

Here's more of the relays, main board, and chassis.
I haven't attached the leads to the board yet. The stuff you see on the capacitors is a silicon sealant that acts as a shock absorber since this chassis is eventually going to go into a combo cabinet. I don't want the speaker vibrations to cause too much stress to the solder joints or cause the power supply caps to rattle.

Today my goal is to wire up the PT and test the relays.

- Matt J.

Attachments:
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 4.35 MiB | Viewed 13928 times ]
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 4.61 MiB | Viewed 13928 times ]
6.jpg
6.jpg [ 4.64 MiB | Viewed 13928 times ]
7.jpg
7.jpg [ 3.9 MiB | Viewed 13928 times ]
8.jpg
8.jpg [ 4.05 MiB | Viewed 13928 times ]
9.jpg
9.jpg [ 3.56 MiB | Viewed 13928 times ]
10.jpg
10.jpg [ 2.59 MiB | Viewed 13928 times ]
11.jpg
11.jpg [ 2.48 MiB | Viewed 13928 times ]
12.jpg
12.jpg [ 2.67 MiB | Viewed 13928 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:06 am 
Friend
Friend

Wired up the PT yesterday and tested the secondaries. Everything checked out ok.

Built the footswitch and tested the relays. LEDs on the relay board and the footswitch lit up fine and the contacts points tested ok with my DMM.

I am considering building a different footswitch, or modding the one that came with the kit so that there are different LED color for the OD and PAB switches. Anyone know exactly what type/voltage of LED I would need to look for that would work with the current footswitch layout?

Up next, I'll install the back panel materials, then the tube sockets and accompanying components.

- Matt J.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:24 am 
Friend
Friend

Got some more work done this week.

Most of the chassis work is now finished. I've tested all soldered connections and things are checked out ok.

Next I'll be measuring and soldering in the flying leads and getting the circuit board ready to be installed.

I did notice that the mounting holes in the chassis were a bit too small for the bias probes, so they had to be enlarged. The same goes for the mounting holes in the relay board. I had to widen them slightly to get the board to fit into place.

- Matt J.

Attachments:
13.jpg
13.jpg [ 4.3 MiB | Viewed 13897 times ]
14.jpg
14.jpg [ 3.89 MiB | Viewed 13897 times ]
15.jpg
15.jpg [ 3.74 MiB | Viewed 13897 times ]
16.jpg
16.jpg [ 3.93 MiB | Viewed 13897 times ]
17.jpg
17.jpg [ 4.78 MiB | Viewed 13897 times ]
18.jpg
18.jpg [ 3.55 MiB | Viewed 13897 times ]
19.jpg
19.jpg [ 3.89 MiB | Viewed 13897 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:45 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We did make a couple of chassis adjustments, possibly your did no get the treatment! I will send you the LED specs too.
Put an email together with your feedback when done please!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:50 am 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
We did make a couple of chassis adjustments, possibly your did no get the treatment! I will send you the LED specs too.
Put an email together with your feedback when done please!

Thanks Stephen! I actually just sent you an email about the LEDs a moment ago.

Thanks again for your quick emails for all of the questions I have asked. I'm nearing the finish line on this amp. After the start up and testing procedures I'll write up a review for you! I can't wait to received the combo cab too! It's going to look killer in it.
I'm already working on a Dumble-Lator design to build in conjunction with it. Instead of a rack mounted unit I'm hoping to put it in a small chassis enclosure, something slightly larger than a Tweed Champ.

- Matt J.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:28 pm 
Friend
Friend

Update:

Finished wiring everything up. Checked all connections and made sure there were no shorts. Gave it a test run with the current limiter. Everything came out ok with. Switched on the Standby and checked the B+. The power supply voltages came out ok, within the specified ranges from the layout. I set the bias for the 6V6s and checked plugged in a guitar. The amp did work when I plugged in a guitar, but the volume started dropping pretty soon and eventually cut off. I doubled checked the plate voltages and found an issue with V1B. There, the plate voltage was well over ~310DVC, when it should be about ~210VDC.

I've checked over the plate resistor, it measured out to the correct 100k, same with the 1.5k/10uf cathode setup. I switched out tubes in case one was faulty and got the same results. This is the section where the LNFB is located, so I'm curious if that could be affecting the voltage. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

- Matt J.

Attachments:
20.jpg
20.jpg [ 3.66 MiB | Viewed 13828 times ]
21.jpg
21.jpg [ 4.7 MiB | Viewed 13828 times ]
22.jpg
22.jpg [ 2.59 MiB | Viewed 13828 times ]
23.jpg
23.jpg [ 2.78 MiB | Viewed 13828 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:22 pm 
Friend
Friend

Update:

IT'S ALIVE!

I replaced the ground wire for V1B and fired it up. Voltages were much better this time, right at ~200 VDC for V1A and V1B. Gave it a go with the guitar and everything checks out ok: channel switching and panel switches. The presence control really doesn't seem to have that much impact between zero and full, but that might just be from the stock design. There are, of course, LOTS more to do with tweaking the bias, setting the PI balance, OD trim, plus some good old fashioned burn-in time! I want to try it with the normal 6L6s as well. I'll post more pics once the cabinet arrives and start finalizing everything with it.

Right now I'm testing it with my Stratocaster. I picked up a 1990 Gibson Les Paul Studio last week and as soon as I put some new pickups in it and properly set it up I'll give it a go too. I'm really looking forward to seeing how a humbucker equipped guitar functions with the amp.

I took the ground wire I removed and tested it with the DMM, the continuity seemed to jump in and out with some slight flexing, so something must have shorted out within it.

Happy Easter everyone!
- Matt J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:04 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Good news! Neat build.

This was the ground from V1b/V1a cathode?

The presence is pretty subtle but true to original #124 design.

All the Rock/Jazz and Mid boost switches working properly? Doing what you expect them to?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:54 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
Good news! Neat build.

This was the ground from V1b/V1a cathode?

The presence is pretty subtle but true to original #124 design.

All the Rock/Jazz and Mid boost switches working properly? Doing what you expect them to?

Thanks for your response, Stephen!

Yep! The wire I installed from the 1.5k/10uf cathode combo to V1b's cathode was faulty. I tested it and found that the continuity would go in and out. After replacing it, V1b's voltages were just fine! So far, that's been the only error I'm encountered.

I played with it some more this evening after work and see what you mean about the presence control! I may try a 2.2uf presence cap and he how that compares.

All switches and footswitch work perfectly! Ill be testing out how they respond to different guitars this week.

Obviously, there is LOTS to learn about this amp. The more I tweak the controls, the more I learn about how it responds to different things. I can't wait for the combo cabinet I ordered to arrive so I can see how it reacts with the speaker installed. Right now the speaker (a Scumback H-75-LD I ordered) is just hooked up and sitting in a box to the side, so you have to take what you hear out of it with a grain of salt.

Once I've gotten some solid playing time in it, and allowed the circuit to burn in, I'll email you a lengthier review. Right now I've just got some stock "stunt tubes" I use when first powering up builds in case something goes wrong. Eventually I'll invest in some more appropriate glass, such as the makes you recommend.

I'm already wanting to build another one to pair with this one, probably with a different circuit topology, most likely a high-plate design like #183.

I'll post more stuff as I go along.
- Matt J.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:38 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Does your Bass control work properly in Rock and Jazz mode?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:14 am 
Friend
Friend

Hey Everyone!

I have been out of commission for a bit due to a kidney stone attack, but now that I am feeling better I've been able to spend some more time working on my OSD.
Everything works fine mechanically, switches, pots and controls. I did rewire the Trim pot so that full clockwise, looking from the back, sends the most signal into V2 and vice-versa. Also, I changed the presence cap to a 2.2uf tantalum to give the presence control a little more depth.

The amp has had some noise issues since I finished it. I the JJ 12Ax7 I used for V1 to be a little noisy, so I replaced it. I also plugged the amp in into a different outlet since my house is fairly old and, due to some older wiring, may have some grounding issues.

That cut down on much of the noise, but, there still remains a great bit of hum when you are only in the clean mode. The OD doesn't hiss or buzz anymore than you would expect from an overdrive circuit, but the clean side has a LOUD hum/buzz when it is only activated. The sound and scope of this noise changes when you wave your hand over the chassis. Also, the level of the noise increases when the PAB is engaged, or when you set the Rock/Jazz switch to Rock.

I've taken some more pictures of the area. If anyone spots any errors, questionable solder joints, or wires were they should not be, please let me know!

Thanks!
- Matt J.

Attachments:
45.jpg
45.jpg [ 2.41 MiB | Viewed 13486 times ]
46.jpg
46.jpg [ 2.59 MiB | Viewed 13486 times ]
47.jpg
47.jpg [ 2.29 MiB | Viewed 13486 times ]
48.jpg
48.jpg [ 2.23 MiB | Viewed 13486 times ]
49.jpg
49.jpg [ 2.54 MiB | Viewed 13486 times ]
50.jpg
50.jpg [ 2.57 MiB | Viewed 13486 times ]
51.jpg
51.jpg [ 2.65 MiB | Viewed 13486 times ]
52.jpg
52.jpg [ 2.66 MiB | Viewed 13486 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 am 
Friend
Friend

Oh, and I just noticed looking at those pictures that I wired the bright switch wrong too. I'll have to fix that when I get home! :roll:

- Matt J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

For what it's worth.
My OSD is really quiet.
And I play vintage style singlecoils mainly.

Anyway, go through all solderings. Wiggle the wire a bit, so you can confirm the solder is solid.
I found a couple of loose solderings that way myself.

Good luck:-)