trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:51 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi Guys,

I got my Triwatt amp kit and have been studying the manual multiple times before I start building. I have a lot guitar pedal experience and have only built one other amp which was the Tube Depot 5e3. That was pretty straight forward with a lot of hand holding step by step. This build is a bit more involved. So I'm still learning terminology and such.

I got two questions with the Power Supply for the Overdrive foot switch.

1. As I was unpacking the Power Supply the two wires broke off the Perf Board. Doh! I didn't get a chance to see where they originally were. My guess is that Ground is on Terminal 1 of the transformer? It looks like it and it is marked with a little black marker. Hot I assume is Terminal 4?

2. Sorry if this question is answered elsewhere, in fact I know it was, but I just wanted to verify I completely understand it. The question was about how to wire the Power Supply up and the answer was

Quote:
One to the Power switch the other to line Neutral OR to just connect them to the Power transformer primary.

I have attached an image to verify if I understand what this means. The magenta is hot and green is ground. I actually can't figure out what the Power Transformer Primary is. I know newbie. I'd appreciate any help. Gonna take this nice and slow and will probably be asking a lot of question here.

Thanks everyone,

-Ralf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:50 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The power supply to the relay power board does come from the HOT and NEUTRAL and should be AFTER the switch i.e. turns on when the amp is on only. These are the two wires closest to the Transformer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:35 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for the reply Stephen,

So if I understand this right it should look like this? This would make it work in standby I assume.

The two wires closest to the Transformer on the switch PSU are what broke off, I also wanted to verify which one goes where. Red to Transformer lug 4 and black to transformer lug 1?

Appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:45 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

No, one wire to the power switch (Line) , the other to the neutral at the IEC chassis connector you identified previously.
It doesn't matter which goes to the OD PT terminals, so put the Line to pin 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:58 pm 
Friend
Friend

Ok great thank you. I don't mean to be so dense, new territory for me. :oops: Good to know it doesn't matter which wire goes to which on the Foot Switch transformer.

Just for extra verification, again apologies for being so dense. I do appreciate the help, not sure why this is so confusing for me. I can hook the wire to either one of the power switch terminals that is closest to the the food switch transformer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:03 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Wire it like this..

Attachment:
TRIWATT_OD_PSU_120V.jpg
TRIWATT_OD_PSU_120V.jpg [ 453 KiB | Viewed 9421 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:39 pm 
Friend
Friend

Oh man, my first one was correct. Talk about way overthinking it. Thanks Stephen for clearing all that up!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:18 am 

I recommend contacting an electrical expert for detailed instructions slither io on how to locate the correct Ground and Terminal 1 on the transformer, and how to reconnect your broken wires to ensure safety in performing electrical activities.