trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:44 pm 
Friend
Friend

I will be ordering a kit, cab, speakers and VRM kit in late April/Early May. (Tax return :D )
And since this is my first try at an amp I've been looking at 5E3 schematics and layouts and options. I've put a bunch of pedal kits together and a couple guitars so I'm pretty comfortable with a soldering iron and have confidence I can pull it off. I'm not looking at any wild mods off the bat I want to stay pretty much stock kit for a starting point. The only add on would be the VRM.
The two speakers suggested where a Tone Tubby Low Wattage and the Chicago Blue. I'm guessing both are the Alnico choice but wondered about the differences. From the description the Low Wattage speaker might break up a little sooner than the Chicago Blue? Would that be a correct assumption? I'm not looking for allot of headroom but if I could squeeze a little out of one speaker over the other I'd be inclined to go that route. It's more important to me that I can get some of those classic 70's rock tones but a little headroom would be nice for versatility. So any input on speaker choice would be appreciated.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:44 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We've had good responses from those who bought the Low Watt. But the Chicago Blue is a new speaker in the same style as the red. It is good also but We have yet to try it in a Tweed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm 
Friend
Friend

Going from the specs I decided to go with the Chicago Blue. I guess I get to be the guinea pig. :D
Looking forward to putting this together. :thumbsup: Thanks to some unexpected income I was able to order early. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:29 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The Red is more efficient than the Blue.The Blue breaks up almost immediately and has a loose, throaty, Alnico sound. It is very forgiving and will hide less than perfect technique or sloopy technique!