Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Volume/Tone Mod
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:49 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

ScottMellor wrote:
Ok thanks Stephen. I was just going to go ahead and make the amp with the mods based on your post saying " I would like to ship all amps this way".
Why should I build it stock first if you recommend it modified?

Scott, over the decades since it's inception, many, many more people have enjoyed owning, playing and hearing a stock 5E3 as compared to an "improved" modified version, in person and on countless recordings. It gets to be pretty subjective as to what actually entails an improvement, that may be why after all those years there's no carved in stone, definitive "improved version". There's a better than excellent chance that you will also be one of the people who loves the Tweed Deluxe tone and functionality stock, at the very least you would have a solid "frame of reference" for your amp to compare the "improvements" should you then decide to modify it.

Also, I don't know what build experience you have, but, if you are new to amp building and you have any issues at start-up that need trouble-shooting, it can become increasingly more difficult to find the problem(s) if you have built mods in from the start. Often if that's the case then even very experienced people trying to help out with troubleshooting will often suggest a return to stock as part of the process to get the amp running properly first.

That's just my take on it anyway.

Snowy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:29 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Well, there is a lot of Mojo surrounding the 5E3 design so we've stuck to it. For now, anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:41 pm 
Friend
Friend

You guys are great.
This IS my first build. I should probably make sure it does not catch on fire when I start it up before going nuts.:)
I'm not a very good guitar player, so I was just hoping to go to the fiish line from the get-go.
Thanks guys.
Scott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:20 pm 
Friend
Friend

Just double checking:
The 470K resistor goes to pin 7.
The picture you posted shows it going to pin 3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:03 pm 
Expert
Expert

Yes it goes to pin 7.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:13 am 
Expert
Expert

No457 Snowy wrote:
... over the decades since it's inception, many, many more people have enjoyed owning, playing and hearing a stock 5E3 as compared to an "improved" modified version, in person and on countless recordings. It gets to be pretty subjective as to what actually entails an improvement, that may be why after all those years there's no carved in stone, definitive "improved version". There's a better than excellent chance that you will also be one of the people who loves the Tweed Deluxe tone and functionality stock, at the very least you would have a solid "frame of reference" for your amp to compare the "improvements" should you then decide to modify it.

It's always good practice to try out an amp stock before trying any mods. And there are a lot out there for the 5E3. Opinions on the Volume/tone mod appear to be quite divided in general. Some folks love the mod, while others prefer the way they can control the amp with the stock volume/tone controls. The "Paul C" PI mod is another popular mod for the 5E3, which makes the distortion sound less ragged and ratty, with a smoother transition between the clean and dirt tones - http://music-electronics-forum.com/atta ... arison.jpg However, if you want the Neil Young "amp falling apart and about to melt down" vibe, then this mod won't be for you.

Having said that, even for a "non-modded" 5E3, I would still change out the 0.1uF signal caps for 0.022uF or at least 0.047uF, to reduce low end flabbiness and fart-out.

Personally, I've got a hankering to see if you could build a 5D3 Deluxe out of a Trinity 5E3 kit, given a few changes. Here's a great 5D3 clip, which shows what I like about the 5D3 tone - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUHaEJ5pzUM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:32 am 
Novice
Novice

Wow, if you can make the Trinity Deluxe sound like that clip, I'll buy one!
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:09 am 

Two resistors and a four pole two position toggle switch will get you both the %e3 and the 5D3. Best to switch it with the amp off otherwise you will get a pop.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:09 am 
Friend
Friend

Hi,

I'm interested in trying this mod but I'm not sure what type of orange drop caps I need, will 400v 715p be ok and what wattage do I need for the resistor?

Many thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:23 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

715 or716 Orange drop 400V will be fine. 1/2 watt carbon comps as well. Let us know how it works out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:16 am 
Friend
Friend

Will do.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:51 am 
Friend
Friend

Hi,

Completed the mod today and it does everything that has already been said. I was worried that it was going to be too bright but that is not the case.

More usable volume control and better range of the tone control. This allows for an even greater range of usable tones to explore.

Well worth trying as it's an easy mod to do and easy to reverse if needed.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:41 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Cool. Any pictures of your installation? Did you follow the schematic exactly and was it accurate?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:27 pm 
Friend
Friend

Certainly followed the layout diagram you had posted. Nothing caught fire so it must be accurate :+)

Can do some pictures if you want but it doesn't look much different from the original. Two smaller caps, one missing cap and an extra resistor.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:42 am 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
I hope this makes the mods very clear. I doubt RS has them but you can try. We used Orange Drop caps and carbon comp resistor in keeping with the Tweed design.

Try it the original way for a while. Then make the mods(s) if you want to try it, but I do recommend you try it first.

TWEED MODS

Attachment:
Tweed_Mods.jpg

I don't quite understand how the resistor is added to V2 pin 7. Do both leads on the resistor attach to V2 pin 7 ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:45 am 
Friend
Friend

No, one end goes to pin 7 and the other end is connected to the wire that is disconnected from pin 7.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:39 pm 
Friend
Friend

mayburyds wrote:
No, one end goes to pin 7 and the other end is connected to the wire that is disconnected from pin 7.

Cheers.

D'oh! Now that makes sense. Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:07 pm 
Friend
Friend

Ok, glad to help.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:34 pm 
Friend
Friend

Can someone please confirm the installation on the 470k resistor on pin 7. I'm not sure if I gave the right information on this.

Do you disconnect the lead on pin 7, solder one end of the resistor to pin 7 and the other end to lead that was connected to pin 7.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:04 pm 
Expert
Expert

mayburyds wrote:
Can someone please confirm the installation on the 470k resistor on pin 7. I'm not sure if I gave the right information on this.

Do you disconnect the lead on pin 7, solder one end of the resistor to pin 7 and the other end to lead that was connected to pin 7.

Thanks.

Correct