trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:09 pm 

Hey guys, got my kit and super excited. First amp build for me. First off, thanks to everyone who has posted these superb pictures of your builds as it is really very helpful to matchup what I read in the instructions with something visual. They also give me a bit more confidence that what I see in the wireing diagram I'm doing correctly. They really helped out when I was trying to orient the sockets.

Question: I keep seeing pictures that have (2) 630vdc .1uf caps going to V1, but nowhere in the build instructions are these mentioned. What are these and why are they there ? They are not mentioned in any of the "mod" paragraphs at the end of the build instructions either.

2nd Question: This is a dumb one but.....in the build instructions there is a reference to a sheilded cable (ground one end but not the other). This reference mentions a "sheilded cable going to volume pot OR input cables" (page 52, FAQ section, print is bolded). On the large color wiring diagram that came with my kit, I only see one shielded cable going from a volume pot to V2. I do NOT see a sheilded cable noted going to any input jacks. Might that reference in the FAQ section on page 52 be an outdated comment ?

My plan is to build the amp as is, without VRM or any other mods to start since this is my first amp build, then I can make small mods one at a time if warranted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:52 pm 
Expert
Expert

Those 0.1uF 630V caps going to V1 are there if you add the VRM. They block a bit of DC so you don't get a scratchy sound when you turn the volume control on your guitar when the VRM is real low.

Follow the layout regarding shielded cable.
You don't need any for the inputs, just that one little run to the volume pot.

Chris...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:56 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

need to update the docs regarding the shielded cables for the input

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:57 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

need to update the docs regarding the shielded cables for the input

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:04 am 

Thanks guys for the quick answers. I may be over analyzing things, but I figure if I ask now I won't regret later.

I don't know much about the VRM other than what I've read here in the forums. At present I use a THD Hotplate to attenuate my speaker on my Groove Tubes Solo75 amp when I need to keep levels down, which keeps the tubes pushed but attenuates the speaker. The VRM approach works differently, which I don't understand. I'll have to research that at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:28 am 
Expert
Expert

In your research look up VVR and London Power Scaling. The VRM is Trinity's variant of the VVR. London Power ScalingTM is also based on the same principle, but is somewhat more complex electronically. These systems vary the DC voltage in the amp to vary the output power level.