trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Just finished this one tonight. Probably gig her this friday/saturday at a local bar gig.

I am a machine! lol!

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:11 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Nice, Andrew! Love the tailpiece/bridge in one!

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

I've been tempted to try the Baby Grand bridge for a while now....never pulled the trigger, though. I have Hipshot's fixed bridge on one of my guitars & Grip-Lock tuners on two others & have been quite pleased. I'm also considering Pigtail Music's aluminum wrap-around for my PRS Soapbar. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the BG bridge once you have a few miles on it.

- This Space For Rent -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:19 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Beautiful
What kind of PUPs are they?
While people seem to love the looks of a hipshot baby grand, I have had nothing but bad luck with hipshot. all the bby grands I have tried cracked on the bass side. I switched to using schallers
Personal preference really.
What are you using for finish? Tints? I am trying to switch to waterbased using the system Dan Erlewine wrote the book on. I still prefer nitro but am learning to use water based.
I have been experimenting using roasted maple for necks(from A&M woods) it seems to be just as strong and gives a different look when used with a translucent finish. I think it looks good and they go quick with an ebony fretboard. What radius do you use, I prefer an 8 - 10" compound, but build to whatever the client wants. I stick more to bolt on necks but will do set neck guitars.
Inlay is still what I hate doing but should learn. Headstock uses a decal ala fender. Made my first tele copy just over 40 years ago in wood shop and have never stopped. And learned really quick a built guitar is not cheaper then a bought one, but it plays and looks like you want.
Then I found out most guitarists can barely change strings, I started a repair business, small store and have been driven crazy by musicians ever since.

Tele's make the best noise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

Man AJ, you make me wish I had 2K lying around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:47 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

This is my 1st baby grand... if it cracks, Stewart Macdonald will hear from me! They aint cheap!

I have a pigtail wraparound on order, to put on my LP jr to replace the gotoh.

The stain is NGR I mixed up, sprayed on, and then some added to the lacquer to deepen the finish before clear coats. Of course this is a satin finish, as sprayed without any wet sanding/polishing.

The pickups are custom wound by Bryan Gunsher, who runs BG Custom Pickups. He got a box of old stock Gibson clear T top bobbins and made a limited run of these. They are low output PAF's. Very nice, but I loike his stuff. Have about 4 or 5 guitars with his pickups in them.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:50 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

by the way, specs are pretty much copied from a PRS singlecut...

25" scale length, 22 medium jumbo frets - same profile as the wide/fat PRS carve but a little bit wider. 12" constant radius
RW board, MOP front and side markers
dual action rod
RW headstock overlay
Graphite nut
Korina neck and body, maple cap
2 tone, 2 volume with tones having a coil cut (push pull pot) for each pickup
bridge volume also has an N-tune tuner installed.
Schaller mini tuners with MOP buttons.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:03 pm 
Expert
Expert

Very nice Andrew! No surprise there though... :)

Taz13 wrote:
While people seem to love the looks of a hipshot baby grand, I have had nothing but bad luck with hipshot. all the bby grands I have tried cracked on the bass side.

When I saw the pic the first thing I thought was "Golly - won't that create a lot of torque stress on the bass side of the bridge?". Hopefully it'll work out. It certainly looks trick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:27 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Bee-utiful. Can they get any nicer? I thought you were not making any more guitars?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:42 pm 
Expert
Expert

Very nice indeed. I like that neck joint, haven't seen you do any set necks (I think).

That bridge reminds me of old Gibson jazz guitar bridges, but smaller. Kind of reminds me of a L-5 bridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:59 pm 
Expert
Expert

How's the N-tune working out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:22 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I have made more set neck guitars than bolt ons....

The N tune seems to work REALLY well... too bad they are almost a $100 with tax and postage, or all my guitars would get them.

I used Tone pros locking stids on the bridge - hopefully thefact the the bridge is tightened down snug and cannot wiggle will help prevent any cracks. Its all machined aluminum, so it should be plenty strong IMO - and I tried to find some more info of problems but couldnt... they arent super popular.

Anyhow, its all good for now :)

AJC

PS Stephen, thats it for now... really!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:49 am 
Expert
Expert

Cool. I've thought about getting those for my Gibsons. They should make a model specifically for the GD G string on Gibsons! Drives me nuts.

Make sure you don't over-tighten the TonePros lock screws. They have a design flaw that makes them prone to snapping under stress if overtightened. Found that out the hard way on my Schecter! :) If you got the ones specifically for wrap-around bridges you should be OK. If it's the one designed for a TOM, be careful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:24 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

They are the ones sold through Stew mac... and recommended on the website.

I dont know the difference as this is the first time I bought studs/screws other than what comes with the bridge (the Baby grand doesnt come with anything).

If they fail, I will just machine some of my own from stainless... having a lathe and a milling machine (and the knowledge to use it) can be an asset...

I actually want to start making some of my own guitar hardware - but time is my enemy. Spending a weekend making (milling) a bridge I can buy for $80 isnt worth it at this point in time... but studs would be an easy turning operation.

Oh well... I am of the type not to worry too much about things untill they happen. If the bridge and/or studs break, I will just change to something else. Just hope the bridge doesnt let go at a gig :)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:50 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk-are you putting any graphite in the G string slot on the nut?

Gibsons all seem to have too tight slots on the nuts, especially the G :roll:

Little bit of graphite stopped all the pinging on my Studio, never had a problem on the R6 and R8 :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:55 pm 
Expert
Expert

Right on. Hopefully you'll have no issues. It certainly looks great!

Just an FYI - the issue with the screws is they're brass (some of them are anyway) and that deep groove they have cut into them for screwing them down is coincidentally about the same width as the threads. The thin layer of brass remaining at the top of the threads can weaken & fail.

I don't know why they didn't just use thumbscrews. Would have been more stable and you don't need to wind them down real tight anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:37 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I am an idiot. The baby grand DOES come with studs. Its the pigtail wraparound that doesnt... which was backordered. I decided to use the tonepros studs instead.

SOrry if I mislead anyone looking at the baby grand... it does come with studs.

AJC

PS I just tightened the tone pros ones with a quarter. I didnt reef on it too hard as I didnt want to damage the finish, I know plated brass is SO easy to ding up with a screwdriver...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

SPAM!!