trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:12 pm 
Novice
Novice

Man....thank you for posting these mixes! This is a VERY cool opportunity. Being able to A-B these mixes has been a fascinating exercise.
First quick thoughts, subject to re-evaluation:
I started out by giving each one a full-length listen without putting much analysis to it. First impression is that there are definite differences, but that these differences are fairly subtle.
I A-B'd the intro ~6 times & really listened. The impressions I got were that the individual instruments had more presence & separation in the master. The "positions" of the instruments on the "stage", esp. the drums, is more defined. The guitar feels slightly further back in the mix, keys a bit larger sounding....may be an EQ-thing.

That's it for now. I'm definitely gonna give this some more time, but it's my son's birthday and it's time for CAKE!!!!! :happydance:

- This Space For Rent -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:32 am 
Experienced
Experienced

b0b0 wrote:
Man....thank you for posting these mixes! This is a VERY cool opportunity. Being able to A-B these mixes has been a fascinating exercise.
First quick thoughts, subject to re-evaluation:
I started out by giving each one a full-length listen without putting much analysis to it. First impression is that there are definite differences, but that these differences are fairly subtle.
I A-B'd the intro ~6 times & really listened. The impressions I got were that the individual instruments had more presence & separation in the master. The "positions" of the instruments on the "stage", esp. the drums, is more defined. The guitar feels slightly further back in the mix, keys a bit larger sounding....may be an EQ-thing.

That's it for now. I'm definitely gonna give this some more time, but it's my son's birthday and it's time for CAKE!!!!! :happydance:

My pleasure! Glad they're useful. :)

And just so everyone's clear on what the mastering process is/does, both of these files are the SAME mix... the master file is the mix file but with further processing. So, any perceived differences between the two files are the result of any EQ, compression/limiting and widening the mastering engineer applied... :?

I agree that the differences between these two files is subtle. That should be an indication that the mix was pretty close to "finished". If you start with a weaker mix, then the differences would be more dramatic. As I mentioned somewhere else, early in my career when my mixes weren't as good, mastering made a HUGE difference... these days because my mixing is better, the difference mastering makes is significantly more subtle, perhaps in some cases unnecessary...

The "presence" could be attributed to some EQ-ing he did in the upper mids and also to the compression/limiting he applied to make it "louder" - this would also account for "larger". The "separation" and "positions" would be due to the widening he does - he not only has a widening knob on his console, but he also EQ's the "middle" and "sides" of the mix separately, so by boosting certain frequencies at the edges he can make things that are panned hard L/R stand out more... there is a casualty though - by making things wide and turning up the edges, you can lose a bit of the middle, and usually things like kick/snare drum, bass, and vocals are panned down the center. On the master for this project, as much as I like what the widening does, I also feel like the snare presence took a hit which I don't love (this song actually sounds pretty good, I'm speaking more about the other songs on the disc)...

mmmm cake... happy belated birthday to your son!!

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:00 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I gave them both a listen and they are very close. I did think the Master had a 'wider' sound, but did not pick up the 'casulties. My ears arent as good as they used to be.

The song is a long way from the raw mix which is what I find very interesting. Modern technology!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:40 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

If anyone's interested (and in the Toronto area), the Make Your Exit release party is set:

"So the time has come to celebrate the recording and release of our sophomore, 7 song EP "Remind Me The Reason I Came". It has been a very fun year for us, and this couldn't have happened without the support of our fans and friends. We would love to party with you all, so come on out.

Joining us will be our great friends, and very talented musicians in The Paint Movement and Corduroy. Be sure to check them out....

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 9:00pm
Sneaky Dee's (upstairs)
431 College Street"

I'll be doing sound (and possibly recording the show) so if you're there come and say hi!!

Some early reviews of the record:

http://www.ontarioscene.com/reviews/mak ... _came.html

http://www.blogto.com/music/2009/09/if_ ... /#comments

http://historyjen.blogspot.com/2009/09/ ... -exit.html

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:10 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Cool. We'll be there. Do they need a TRIWATT for the show??

Brent, need a place to crash?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:29 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I think they're probably going to want to use their own gear that they're used to. Thanks though... and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that there was a discussion during the sessions about the entire band rocking Trinity Amps!!! Need that bass amp!! ;) :)

I'm probably going to have to head to my folks' after the show... even though I'll be partying like a rock star, my daughter's still have dance class in the AM on Saturday!!! :cry: Joan wouldn't want to hear my bad 3-chord jams all night either... :lol: :D

Look forward to seeing you there - you'll love these guys live!!

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:46 am 
Expert
Expert

Dammit, I didn't see this thread until after the gig was long over....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:41 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Hi Brent, I love the mastered version of the tune. It sounds quite good. Let me give this one a shot in terms of the anaysis.

The compression on the track sounds fantastic. It servers to bring out the vocals, the bu vocals as well as stabalizing, placing and fixing (securing) the level of the echo repeats and reverb tails. I suspect you messed with the threshold for a while. Did you use a multi band comp?

There sounds like there is a bit of Maximizer in there. There is a brightness and clarity that is not in the original mix. Might just be eq or might be both but I can hear it and it is nice. Kinda like a BBE on guitar.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say you used a stereo imager on the track too. It might be the combined effect of the comp and the maximizer/eq working on panned echo and reverb tails but the master sounds.....wider that the mix.

Am I close?

P.S. Sorry I missed the gig. These guys sound pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:00 am 
Experienced
Experienced

lbethune wrote:
Hi Brent, I love the mastered version of the tune. It sounds quite good. Let me give this one a shot in terms of the anaysis.

The compression on the track sounds fantastic. It servers to bring out the vocals, the bu vocals as well as stabalizing, placing and fixing (securing) the level of the echo repeats and reverb tails. I suspect you messed with the threshold for a while. Did you use a multi band comp?

There sounds like there is a bit of Maximizer in there. There is a brightness and clarity that is not in the original mix. Might just be eq or might be both but I can hear it and it is nice. Kinda like a BBE on guitar.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say you used a stereo imager on the track too. It might be the combined effect of the comp and the maximizer/eq working on panned echo and reverb tails but the master sounds.....wider that the mix.

Am I close?

P.S. Sorry I missed the gig. These guys sound pretty good.

Hey cool Larry! Thanks for checking it out - glad you like it! :)

The vast majority of the compression happened during tracking and mixing (I tend to use many instances of relatively subtle compression. There was also a Waves SSL Comp on my 2-Mix) - Noah the engineer that mastered this doesn't use more than a db or two overall when mastering and never uses multiband compression. Most of the level just comes from the gain staging of his (amazing) gear and then he hits a limiter at the end, but again it's only a db or two.

He does do the work in M/S so he has separate control over the center of the image and the sides. He has a widener in this one Dangerous box (I'm talking the brand here, not the risk!!), but he also sometimes brings up the level of the sides to make it sound wider. Sometimes he makes things too wide for me - I feel like width can detract from the power in a mix, but in this case I think it works...

No BBE, or any other funky box like that! Just the best EQ's on the planet - Neve, GML, Sontec. :)

As for the ambience in the track, didn't use a single delay or echo on the entire disc - the band didn't like them. If you hear reverb on a guitar track, it either came from my Twin Reverb or EHX Holy Grail pedal. There's very little artificial reverb on the mix - the vast majority of ambience was recorded from the room. I used a teeny bit of SPX90 on some of the lead vocals, and on a couple of tracks used the Holy Grail pedal again in the mix on some selected backgrounds to help them sit, but that's it - everything was recorded really roomy so most of it is natural. :) And no I didn't use any widening on any of the tracks - I find that if I record with a lot of the natural ambience of my studio, it ends up sounding really 3D... great room!

They are a fantastic band, and the buzz is building for them. We had a great time making this, and the response has been fantastic... hopefully you'll get to see them live at one point...

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and comment!

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:02 am 
Experienced
Experienced

This just in!!

http://www.jonkmusic.com/

8)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:42 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Some more nice words on the record...

http://www.iheartmusic.net/serendipity/ ... -Exit.html

http://www.cavacool.com/spotlight/make-your-exit/

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:10 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Nice feedback to the EP. Unfortunatley, I missed the first review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:02 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

http://www.southernsouls.ca/makeyourexit.html

www.slyfichapel.com