trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:14 pm 
Novice
Novice

After several long nights and a few weekends, my TC-15 combo cabinet is nearly finished. I built the chassis a couple months ago and have been playing it only in house without any installation (and worrying about my kids getting electrocuted :( ). It only needs the front grill and handle to be complete. The cabinet is dovetailed walnut and grill is woven caning (like Mesa and others use on some of their amps). Single TT Alnico. I'll post some pix as soon as it is completely finished. Many thanks to Stephen for great technical help and to Dan Tonjes for his helpful build pictures.

Two questions in the meantime:

1) Anyone have experience staining or shellacking woven wicker cane? I'm assuming it can be sprayed with an amber shellac or wiped with a stain to darken it just a bit. It is stretched on a removable wooden frame. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2) Coco, is the handle in the mail? It will be nice to pick it up with a handle... :lol:

I really like this amp, and can't wait to take it out on the town!

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:49 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Quote:
Anyone have experience staining or shellacking woven wicker cane?

I did several cane bar stool seats in a very light color stain and sprayed shellack over 20 years ago and no problems, even in a sun room with a spa, high humidity, etc.

Looking forward to pictures of your cab! Man, you guys must have been seriously playing with your Lincoln Logs while I was ripping apart anything in the house that had wires in it :lol: Some things were even broken :shock:

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:50 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Handle long sent!

I have found shellac, thinned 50% with alcohol is so light its really easy to brush it on, but you could spray it easily too. Dries very fast as well.

Can't wait to see this !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

Oops, hit the wrong send button. My thanks to Stephen and Joe sent in a new post, should have been a "reply."

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:20 pm 
Novice
Novice

Several photos of my just completed TC-15 combo cabinet:

The finished combo weighs 42 lbs, about half the weight of my old Boogie Mark I - and better sounding. The speaker is 12" TT Alnico (but the rear photo is a dead giveaway!). Walnut sides, top and bottom are 11/16" and back pieces are 1/2". Dimensions match the production model except about 3/8" wider and 3/8" taller because of the slightly thicker boards. Also about one inch deeper to accommodate a thicker front baffle (3/4" birch ply is what I had already) and the wicker caned grill.

It was fun making this, but I sure would hate to do hand cut dovetails for a living! I don't own a dovetail jig. I do really like walnut - I think it's my favorite wood, and this came from trees in my own state of Virginia.

Now on to the better part, playing it! It's especially sweet running the TC-15 along with my Trinity Deluxe using an ABY pedal; or the same setup but linked with a Boss stereo delay. Thanks again to Stephen and several others for excellent guidance. We get by with a little help from our friends...

Regards,
Jim (the old guy in the last picture)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:08 pm 
Friend
Friend

:shock: Wow!!! That's really gorgeous!! I'm so impressed by the woodworking skills around here. Stephen built me a beautiful cabinet as well, but I really wish I could do this kind of work for myself. If I had the tools, and the time, and the skills, and the space...blah blah blah. Congratulations on such a beautiful amp!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:37 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

That is just stunning Jim (the old guy in the last picture) :D Great job!!!

(damn you hewers of wood... I shall crush you with my superior wiring skills... Nothing sticks to Teflon™...NOTHING :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:)

Joe G :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:05 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Very nice indeed! Good job on the hand-cut dovetails. Very impressive!

Thanks for sharing it with us you and "the old guy in the last picture."