trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:04 pm 

Hi Guys, Has anyone built one of these?
I have just finished one and it sounds great, basically just the EF86 channel from an AC30/4. The only thing missing was a tone pot to go with the Cut control, so I used the 18 watt tone pot circuit but unfortunately it seems to have a very limited tonal range and doesn't really do any more than the Cut control. Have I done something wrong OR does anyone have a better suggestion for an alternative tone stack?
Hope you can help.

Cheers,

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:05 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Can you tell us more about the design? There were some DC30's made around here but they are two channel. The second channel has a rotary tone selector switch which would be interesting.
Is this a single control tone circuit then? No place for a second control?

A circuit diagram would help too.

We did a 30 watt but it didn't use the EF86.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:21 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi Allan,
Take some pics or a schemo and that will make it easier for us to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:06 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I'd certainly be interested in that. If you want, email it to me & I'll post it or just link to a site where it is posted.

Post subject: AC30/4 EF86 Update
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:25 am 

Hi Guys, sorry for the delay, work gets in the way.

The idea came about after I built a Lightning about a ago and although it gets used for a lot of quieter gigs it doesn't quite cut it with a blues band in full swing. After looking around for something similar but louder I heard about the Dr Z Stang Ray and Brad Paisly has a fantastic tone so that was my starting point.

This forum has been a fantastic source of info and advice and most of what I found was from here..thanks, I've been a long time lurker here but never posted.

For the chassis I used a Ceri@tone DC30 Chassis and set of boards which means I have plenty of spare real estate to include Reverb, 2nd channel or tremelo or all of the above, but for now it's just the Normal channel from an AC30/4, BTW, I also used Niks tranny set POC and so far I have to say they are really good. I used the Westlabs for the Lightning and although they sound awesome, the Ceriatones stack up pretty well.

I'm not too sure how to post circuits or photos but I can email what I used if anyone is interested, I've also got some pics of the completed chassis but it is still a work in progress as the lead dress was my own creation as I had nothing to go on as the Vox one didn't really work and the DC30 has too much other stuff in there. Every time I look at it I see another small way to improve it!

Regarding the tone pot query, I wanted to keep it simple like the Stang Ray, Vol, Tone, Cut but I have tried several single tone circuits, the AC15, the 18watter but they don't really do much as per the original post. Another forum friend has come back with a modded 18 watt circuit that has a TMB stack after an EF86, so that's the next option I'm going to try.

One final thing, the amp fired up first time which is always a bonus, but there is a faint hum that gets louder as you turn up the volume but the strange thing is that with a guitar plugged in it goes away if you turn the guitar's volume all the way up. The general concensus is that I have a problem with the way I've wired up the input jacks so I'm still trying to fix that as well.

Final verdict is that apart from the slight hum and tone pot issue this amp sounds great even with just the Cut control and is LOUD. I've put my Teles and Les Paul through it and love the sound of it. It is going to be a head so I'll work out how to post pics and give some progress reports.

Sorry for the war and peace, please email me if you want the circuit or pics. One last thing, valves used are JJs for the 12AX7, EL84s, GZ34 and a NOS Dario EF86.

Cheers,

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:48 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Alan,

I guess the wiring worked out then. Good news.

Sounds like a pre amp humm.
a) did you use a choke?
b) is there sheilded cable to the inputs; shield connectd at one end
c) are the grid resistors for v1 at the pin of the tube.

Send me whatever pics / schematic & I'll post it here. Another 30 watt option is always good.

Post subject: Hum fixed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:10 am 

Stephen,

Basic fix, I ran shielded cable to the preamp and grounded one end, the amp is now dead quiet! Will send through schematic and pics.

Thanks & Cheers,

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:06 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Here's the schematic for the AC30/4. Thanks Allan.

Allan, what value of choke did you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

This is interesting..
Now we need a trinity ac-30-4 :D , ya know the new and improved version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:18 pm 
Novice
Novice

Doesn't the guy who plays a doctor on TV use the same stack as on the VW? I'd give that a go.

Bear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:09 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

:lol: Try this [VW] tone stack if you have the parts. It's very flexible and has a lot of effect on the tone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:06 am 
Friend
Friend

This is intriguing.
We now require a Trinity AC-30-4.
 build now gg