trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:59 pm 

Hi guys, I'm ready to start wiring my Spitfire amp. But before I really get serious I wanted to pose the title question. Has anyone out there wired up any MAtchless other than theLighting or Spitfire? I really like the 2nd channel clip of the C-30 on the Matchless site. They're now making the Nighthawk which, I beleive, is a 15 watt version of the 2nd channel. Do you think it would sound the same as the c-30? I'd like to try one sometime but, while I can follow a diagram pretty good, I don't do layouts at all. Maybe someone out there in Homebrew land could help me out.
I think I'll like this site, I'm glad it's been started and that I was invited to join. I have built a couple of amps so far, an 18 watt and a single ended ADA Rocket type. I'll probably finish the chassis holes tomorrow nite and clean and sand the next. Will try to start wiring this weekend, should go fast from there.
Thanks for any input(pun intended).

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:14 am 
Friend
Friend

I've been thinking about doing one of the bigger ones myself. I havent had time to do a layout yet. And I havent seen any boards out there premade. I was thinking about making a lightning with extra power tubes in parallel, for some more umph. I currently have a 30 watt pt, and I am getting the ot and choke soon, I'm getting a good deal so it's hard to turn down. I really want a lightning right now, so I'm not sure what I'm going to build. :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:36 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I've thought about doing both of these projects - a 30 W, and what John Irvine calls a DC-15.

They would both be pretty straight forward, but the 30 watt would be the easiest.

You need a PT that can supply enough current to the extra EL84s; and
You need an OT that can take 30W. Both cost a bit more.

Then it should be a matter of punching two extra holes and sizing the chassis for the iron accordingly and adding the extra parts.

The 15 can be really loud, especially with an Alnico speaker. Good enough to gig in small - medium venues. So, I'm not sure what you'll gain with the extra power. If it's volume you're after, you could add an additional speaker and get 3 db i.e. 2X12 .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the DC-15, I think John Irvine wanted to build one. I have a small amp with an EF86 that I have tried, and it has a great tone all on it's own. To combine it into a second channel on a 15 would be very interesting. It would require about 10 parts, a new board layout, a bit of a chassis mod and would depend on how you designed the tone section.

EF86 had a bad rep for quality in the past. VOX started with them, and then moved to the ECC83. Maybe the quality and tone are better now.

Has anyone tried this a DC-15?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:23 am 
Friend
Friend

Steve,

There was someone on the AX84 site who built a "DC-15". I can't find the post right now, but I'll look some more later.

The problem with EF86s is microphonics. Some people have tried mounting them with some vibration isolation (shock absorbers :D ) which apparently helps.

Cheers,
Rick.

Post subject: DC15 / AC15
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:20 am 

Howdy all, glad this forum is here.

I was considering a DC15 build, but have run across a JMI AC15 project that will take precedent:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7307066262

I beleive the lightning is based on the vib/trem channel of a JMI AC15. I will definitely be looking for some help on this project once I get it (picking it up in europe in May). It's been converted into an AC30/4 with top boost instead of vib/trem. I will probably try to put it back to stock.

In terms of ef86's, I have a TopHat Club Deluxe that uses nice shock-mounted sockets that might be just the ticket for isolating a tube with microphonic tendencies.

Check out the super sweet wiring in there:
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeirvine/top2.jpg

-John I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:03 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'd certainly be interested in a dual channel version like the dc-30 or even badcat hot cat 30. I heard these are pretty similar but hotcat has even more gain??

I have a visio layout of the dc-30 I got somewhere but can’t view it as I have a mac. Anyone want it and sent me a jpg of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:39 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

daz wrote:
I have a visio layout of the dc-30 I got somewhere but can’t view it as I have a mac. Anyone want it and sent me a jpg of it?

Send it to me, I have Visio and I'll be happy to create a jpg of it and send it back to you and then post it.

stephen@trinityamps.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:05 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

If you are interested in a layout for a DC30, I posted them:

Layout at:
http://www.trinityamps.com/ForumGallery ... layout.gif

This is Ken Smith's prototype layout. I have emailed him to see if there is an update and will post any updates here as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

How!...everyone. Newbie here from 18W and PP tribes..

I built an AC30 front end (Norm and TB) onto a Cheiftan PI and Pwr backend, utilized power supply topology inherent to Matchless and Vox. Used iron from 65 Blackface Bassman. I never used it, but my son uses it in various bands he's been in. Has a VERY sweet, glistening timbre clean and comes off like a raging HiWatt when dimed. Running into 2x12 Celest Greenies, closedback.
I'm threatening to take it back, but I got four more builds going....

Post subject: Re: DC15 / AC15
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:28 pm 
Novice
Novice

jetset wrote:

Check out the super sweet wiring in there:
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeirvine/top2.jpg

How 'bout a close-up of the isolated EF86 socket???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:09 pm 

I have a Club Royale with the isolated sockets, same preamp as the Club Deluxe, but it is all 12ax7s', no ef86 tube it in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:29 pm 
Friend
Friend

OK. I'm in the very early stages of buildig a HC-30. (DC-30 Head) to go with a 1972 Marshall 4-10 loaded with 15 watt greenbacks that Marshall made only for one year. The cabinet is almost the same size as a 4-12.

My first mistake: I ordered a Matchless PS Tranny from Angela.com that I mistakenly thought was for a DC-30 for $79.00. Upon further research, visiting the Westlab.com I discovered that the Matchless tranny has two high voltage taps which the DC-30 does not have. Upon further research I discover I probably have a PS tranny for a Matchless Clubster that uses a pair of EL34's and uses a B+ of 430 volts. Oh well an other Matchless amp project. Kind of an easy mistake especially if you are the creative artistic type, you know impulsive. BTW maybe the Angela delivery will arrive today?

Possible next mistake: I've been lurking on the bulliten boards at Plexi Palace. I enter Voxland to learn about Vox output trannies. I discover that Korg made about 550 Hand Wired AC30's, but made around 800 sets of tranny's for this limited edition. I bought one of these extras that was cloned by Korg. I was thinking of using this tranny instead of the one from Westlabs. Was this a bad idea. On another thread on this site Steven mentions how on the "Lightning" how Matchless mismatched their outputs and loads.

Any response? The tranny has two bell ends, is a drop in replacement for a JMI AC30 with one bell cover removed and is cloned from one of ten real JMI AC30's that was deemed the best. It is a copy of an Albion and was highly recomended by Mitch Colby as the Quisidential Vox AC30 output tranny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:52 pm 
Novice
Novice

Calzone
Just build something out of both.......doesn't HAVE to be Matchless.
Seems the mismatch was towards lopsided loading (8ohm spkr load on a 16ohm tap, etc)

the ghost of Jack Parsons
Jack Parsons Lab
Peenemunde Reservation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:08 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hey Jetset, It seems I ran into some guy in Europe who takes JMI no-Topboost AC30's and converts them into AC30/4's. Seems like ther's a demand for amps with that early circuit with the EF-86. You might also reconsider, but you already have an EF-86 in another amp.

I 've not ever played through that tube. It seems a like a popular tube in spite of the difficulties with micrphonics, noise and durability. Current builders like; Matchless. Badcat, Dr Z... seem to still like this tube. I'm wondering what I'm missing. Could you please describe some of the mystic that eludes from this Circuit/tube.

From what I gleen over the net is the NOS EF-86's seem to solve many of the problems. Is this true?

Also thanks for your suggestion. That PS tranny will serve some good one day. I think I'll use that handwound Vox tranny on my HC-30 clone even if I have to change and modify the circuit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:39 pm 
Expert
Expert

I am considering a Clubman-35 in the distant future...

I've got a schematic for it somewhere here...looks like alot of fun. It's going to have to happen long after my other two builds....but it will eventually happen...

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:54 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I have heard this is one Fine Amp! I'd like to do a 30W of some description pretty soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:21 pm 
Expert
Expert

From the looks of it, it's pretty much a 30 watt lightning with el34s...instead of 84s

-F

Post subject: AC15 ->AC30/4
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:08 pm 

Well, I finally got the hacked AC15 from Europe:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jeirvine/AC15.html

At this point I'm going to try to get it up and running on US current to see what it's like as-is. Looks a little too far gone to do an AC15 restoration - they had to enlarge the transformer mounting holes for the AC30 transformers.

If there's anyone in the Maryland area who's interesred, I'd love some help with this.

-John