trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Trinity Trifecta
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:27 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Since my 18W Custom 6V6 was my last build, I thought I'd just post this here...

Finally gave it a proper home:
Attachment:
PXL_20210321_024401261.jpg
PXL_20210321_024401261.jpg [ 3.79 MiB | Viewed 6943 times ]

Attachment:
PXL_20210321_030418277.jpg
PXL_20210321_030418277.jpg [ 3.88 MiB | Viewed 6942 times ]

The cabinet here is an Avatar that I assembled back when they used to sell their cabinets in a flat-pack. It has a Scumback in it... can't remember the model for the life of me... lol. The amp underneath it is my "Simple 20b"... a modified Simple Preamp married to the 20W PP power amp from AX84.com (may that site r.i.p.)

And my TC15 (first amp I ever built):
Attachment:
PXL_20210321_030320057.jpg
PXL_20210321_030320057.jpg [ 3.27 MiB | Viewed 6943 times ]

The cabinet here is the one from the AX84 website... an oversized 1x12 ported in the back. Huge sounding cabinet, but tough to lug-around. It has an old V30 in it, which believe it or not, actually sounds really good with the TC15.

And my OSD:
Attachment:
PXL_20210321_030506220.jpg
PXL_20210321_030506220.jpg [ 3.98 MiB | Viewed 6943 times ]

The OSD head cabinet was built by Coco. The speaker cab was built by TRM Guitar Cabinets and tolexed by me. It's his "3D Cabinet" and is loaded with a WGS ET65. Drat - that picture reminds me... I need to put the corners on that speaker cabinet!

Last edited by dtp on Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My Trinity Trifecta
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:45 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

A little bit about the 18 Watter... I did a couple of things differently in it.

First off, I used a set of ClassicTone 18W transformers only because I wanted to reduce the cost of the kit and I had these in an 18 Watt Lite IIb that I built way back and never really bonded with., so it was just collecting dust. I'm sure the Trinity/Heyboer set sounds amazing and if I didn't have these laying around collecting dust I would have absolutely gone with Trinity's Trannies. But, I am more than happy with these transformers and they dropped right in the chassis with no modifications required. Now I just have a wired-up Lite IIb chassis layin around collecting dust ;-p Oh and I have a Trinity VRM module that was in there at one time laying around too... it will probably eventually find its way into this 18-watter.

Secondly, I used a pretty large bypass capacitor on the output tubes - 1000uF if I remember correctly. I was never really a big fan of the "sag" sound so I wanted to stiffen-up the output section a bit and give it more of a fixed-bias feel. It delivers!

All in all, I am really loving this amp. I also bought a new (well hardly-ever-used really) Les Paul about a year ago and man it sounds great with this setup into the Avatar/Scumback cabinet. I never really was a fan of the "18-Watt Sound" mostly because of the EL84's (I'm more of a 6_6 guy which is strange because I really love the sound of the TC15 and its EL84's but its a totally different beast really and it never really leaves the "Matchless mode.") When I saw this amp was available with 6V6 tubes, I jumped at it and not regretting the decision at all. Now don't get me wrong, the Lite IIb certainly doesn't suck at all and it surely has its legion of fans and was a fantastic 2nd build for me... but oh man... this Trinity 6V6 Custom just blows its socks off!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:17 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Gret to hear about your builds. Really pleased about the Custom Plexi. I think it is the most authentic big sounding 18 watt amp out there. The 1000uF cap is a cool trick. I have done that as well, Might be worth trying it out. We went with a SS rectifier on this amp too. Did you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:17 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Yes... I forgot to mention that... I did go with the SS rectifier. I just went with the cheaper drop-in that you can get at Antique Electronics Supply and it works like a charm. That also helps a great deal with the sag!

I was thinking of trying it without any bypass cap at all too. I learned that trick from Merlin Blencowe over on AX84 when we were both frequent posters there but this is the first time I've actually tried a large cap in a build.

"Authentic big sounding 18 watt amp" is a great way to describe this thing for sure! Those 6V6's really put some ooommph in the signal. I'm wanting to try it with a couple of Greenbacks or the WGS or Scumback equivalents.

I'm kinda wishing I went ahead and just had you build me a combo cabinet for the OSD but I was going for economy there too, so I had to do the speaker cabinet much later, but oh well... maybe someday I will build one myself.

Those pictures don't do the "illusion cube" optical trickeries any justice. In-person the three different illusions you can get from it really pop out nicely. I laser-cut the pieces out of wood veneer with my mini 3018 CNC/Laser. Then I laminated the four background veneer areas and the illusion cube in the center on a piece of 1/4" plywood.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:24 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

dtp, the AX84 forum is now hosted by Guitar Amp Builders forum, however, not much going on there. And you can still get the docs at AX84.com/archive.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:34 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks Hankules. I am aware of the "new" location and the archive, but as you said... it is but a shell of its former glory. It's really sad... that was such a friendly and vibrant place. The knowledge that was exchanged there was 2nd to none on the Internet. I learned SO much from the fine folks there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:44 pm 
Friend
Friend

Wow those look fantastic and nice collection of amps to run the gamut of different tones!

The Custom 6v6 Plexi is a beast. That thing moves some air with a pair of 12s.

Enjoy!

-Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:19 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks Dan. Yes, I really get some great variety between those three and my custom builds. Can pretty much do it all now with the addition of the Plexi.

I do have to say though, my favorite one is probably the OSD. Most people kinda think of a D-Style as a pretty limited amp - great cleans and a great mid-gain - but this thing can really do higher gain stuff great well too if you take the time to dial it in right. Also a great pedal-platform on the clean channel if that's what you are after. The way I mostly use it is clean channel w/OD pedals for my strats and the clean channel and amp's OD channel w/no OD pedals with my Les Paul.

I find that the TC15 makes a great recording platform. There's just a special way that a Vox/Matchless circuit sits so well in a mix.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:53 pm 
Friend
Friend

That's great, I always like hearing people's opinions of different amps. I actually started down this road of amp building with Dumble type circuits as my goal. Felt like a solid Trinity kit was the best way to start and I did not have a Marshall style amp. Made sense all around.

I am working on a Two-Rock John Mayer Signature amp (firing up today). A big 100W clean pedal platform in the vein of Dumble style circuits. And I have 3 ODS style chassis waiting for me when I am ready for more builds. It is addictive!

I am really interested in Vox circuits too. I think I may build a Trainwreck Rocket clone one day. Too many amps and not enough time.

Have fun!

-Dan