Friend

Attachment:
Siii Complete board.jpg
Siii Complete board.jpg [ 2.13 MiB | Viewed 4522 times ]
Attachment:
Siii Complete board.jpg
Siii Complete board.jpg [ 2.13 MiB | Viewed 4522 times ]
Hi Guys
I have finished populating my turret board as per Trinity 18Watt v6 Layout v7.
Any positive criticism appreciated I know my soldering is not as neat as it should be and for some reason I couldn't get hold of any 200k resistors so I have joined 2x 100k in series
I,m still working on the chassis cutouts so that is why I have left wire sticking out everywhere
I hope I haven't made too many obvious mistakes
Tim

Post subject: Re: New Build sIII
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:31 am 
Expert
Expert

The board and your soldering look good. 200K isn't a common resistor value. The closest ones in the standard E12 series are 180K and 220K. 200K is available in the E24 series, but that's not as common, so I'm not surprised you couldn't find any.

Incidentally, according to the sIII schematic, the resistors are 470K in the two locations where you have the 100k resistors in series. Was that intentional?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:57 am 
Friend
Friend

Hi Mitch
I looked at the sIII layout and it does show 470K whereas the layout I used (Trinity 18Watt v6 Layout v7.pdf ) from the New 18 Watt Docs- Layouts and Schematics post shows 200k in these positions as does the schematic Trinity 18Watt v6 Schematic v8.pdf
I hope Stephen can clarify which values to use and if this is a deliberate change or a typo
Thank you for your sharp eyes well spotted
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:43 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Going by your screen name, you seem to be Down Under. Antique Electronic Supply in Tempe, AZ, US has them and ships internationally (see Customer Service> Shipping and Delivery), but don't know if it's worth it with customs and duties on top of shipping. The ones on Mouser's site are manufactured by Kamaya, which may be available in Eastern Pacific area. Your solution may be the best option, and you may need to PM Stephen (Coco) thru the User Control Panel to get an definite answer. Sorry I can't help more :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:37 am 
Friend
Friend

Hi Guys
I am picking back up this project after it being unceremoniously pushed onto the back-burner by a couple of health issues that have absorbed a lot of my time in the last year or two,
I initially thought that this was a sIII but it appears that I have actually built a v6 - Dual Power Tube with Boost rev 8 which is first on the list in the archived section which does look like a sIII with extra tubes
So far I have
Built the turret board and populated it
Bent up the chassis
Come up with layouts for the switching knobs etc and rear panel with the tubes
Sourced and acquired the majority of the parts
Started building a cabinet

Now a couple of questions
What is the usual layout of the lettering on the front panel of a top rear placed chassis on a combo?
Is it so the letters are the right way to read when standing in front of the amp? or are they laid out so that the reader is standing behind the amp.
Is there a preferable way of mounting the tubes I have designed it so the tubes are straight down underneath the chassis but if it is preferable to mount them so they face forward under the air vent I can do that as I have not drilled the holes yet. Where I live has hot summers so whichever is the best position for keeping them cool is what I will go with.
Is it possible to get clarification on which resistors values to use as mentioned a couple of posts ago on this thread
Is there any problems with mounting the boost and output tube cathode switches on the front panel so they are accessible when playing as opposed to delving around the underbelly of the amp?
Looking forward to hearing from you and getting back into the build
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:14 am 
Friend
Friend

Well I completed this amp a few months ago and have been playing it through some speakers with the chassis just sitting on top
I am currently attempting to build the Modulus 18 watt cabinet which is slowly coming along I haven't done woodwork since high school but I'm getting there.
What I have found is it is a beautiful amp really quiet and clean
Here is my problem I already have a few clean amps and I thought this one would supply a bit more crunch so I am thinking of changing it to a plexi circuit it appears that the basic board is the same just some rearrangement of some of the components and a few capacitor and resistor values.
PLEASE Correct me if I am wrong
The thing that is puzzling me is which plexi to go for I like classic hard rock in the AC/DC vein Bad Company etc I am not a death metal aficionado by any means
The Plexi mk 2 or the TMB are the frontrunners at the moment any suggestions as to which? would be appreciated, also will there be any issues with the 6v6 switching? I am happy to revert to just EL 34's if there is a conflict that I am not aware of at the moment
I have learnt a heck of a lot building this project and appreciate the support that this forum and 18watt.com has given me so a big thank you, Thinking of the OD kit in a while got a couple of other projects in the meantime
Will post some photos soon
Tim