trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:07 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I gave my nephew his birthday present today, the sIII I built for him. For a number of reasons, it hasn't been used for about two months. When I first built it and ran it for about an hour it was dead quiet and the following noises were not present.

Today when we fired it up we got a "morse code" sound that cycled about every 3 seconds. Went "dah ---- dit dit - dah --- dit dit" on all four inputs, volume varied somewhat by where you stood in relation to the amp.

Also we gat a "tick" sound every 1 1/2 seconds, quiet sound but present.

He tried the amp out for about 10 minutes then we shut it down and came back to it about 30 minutes later, the "morse code" was gone, the "ticking" less noticable but still present. He says his Peavey 60 112 (tube amp) does the exact same thing.

So, is it possible that the "morse code" was morse code and we were picking up some RF interference?

Since both amps present the "tick" is it something house wiring related or is it amp related.

By the way, he really likes the amp, says it is the best thing he's heard. (I'll talk to my sister in about a week and find out what he says when I'm not there). Loves the crunch with his epi LP ( I showed him the jumper trick), his squier strat sounds good and his acoustic sounds really good and clear through it also, his Peavey can't do that. So far he's real pleased. He originally thought that an 18 watt wouldn't be loud enough, after playing it today he's talking about needing an attenuator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:17 pm 
Expert
Expert

Does it happen in every socket in the house? My amps pick up the washing machine switch if it is on sometimes. There was a post about problems with a treadmill causing noises. Lastly on of my guitars picks up a tick from my watch :-)
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:21 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I'll have him check other outlets in the house, the room he has his equipment in is an addition so there may be issues where they tied the electrical into the existing house wiring.