trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:01 pm 
Friend
Friend

Just wanted to share my experience with building the 18 Watt TMB version. This is my first guitar amp build ever, but I have experience with pedals and various amateur radio transceivers. The instructions were top notch, and I personally feel that with just a bit of reading and maybe practicing soldering with a couple "dummy" components that even a beginner could have success with this amp. The board is very clean looking without a large ground buss hanging in the breeze, all components are top notch and very well thought out.

I opened her up and the first night, despite chomping at the bit to get going, I just sat down with the box and the BOM and just made sure everything that was needed was included. Everything that should have been in there was, as well as a couple extra components for adding the V6 option later and a couple "tweaking" components. I was able to hook up and test the power supply section and everything worked well so far.

I completed everything, and double checked my wiring and did the initial power up test while hooked up to a light bulb tester. All was well until I hooked up the guitar and absolutely zero signal! Frustrated, I went and checked all the voltages and they looked decently fine so I looked over my schematic and layout which I'd highlighted as I went. Not surprisingly...there was a small ground connection to the main power ground that I'd not highlighted.

After making this connection, and firing it up again...this thing really sings! The tones that you can squeeze out of it are amazing and the way it responds to just slight changes in picking is just phenomenal and borderline indescribable. This amp is a complete joy to play, was a blast to put together and overall, I'm just proud of it...

Two bits of advice to anyone wanting to get this kit or who just don't know...18 Watts is still QUITE LOUD...plan accordingly. Secondly...the builders guide mentions checking all connections no fewer that 5 times, make sure you do that...and then check them once more. Even a seasoned builder of electronics can overlook something when giddy with excitement to get going.

Thank you Trinity for an amazing instrument!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:09 pm 
Friend
Friend

Now, already I'm wanting to tinker...

I was just wondering if anyone has installed the boost option on the TMB version...I'm looking at it and just assuming it adjusts the bias on the sIII version. Taking note that the first cathode resistor on v2 on the TMB version is already a lower value than on the sIII, would this be something worthwhile to do? If so, what values of components should I use

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:04 pm 
Friend
Friend

Just playing with it even more, and it's still amazing me what it'll do...plugged in to the high sensitivity input on TMB channel, I can subtly alter some overdrive and punch by playing with the volume on the normal channel even with no jumper installed...this thing rocks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:15 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Capn_starsky wrote:
Now, already I'm wanting to tinker...

I was just wondering if anyone has installed the boost option on the TMB version...I'm looking at it and just assuming it adjusts the bias on the sIII version. Taking note that the first cathode resistor on v2 on the TMB version is already a lower value than on the sIII, would this be something worthwhile to do? If so, what values of components should I use

The gain on that channel is quite substantial so not aure how much more you will get before oscillation kicks in! Just try it and see but in baby steps!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:18 am 
Friend
Friend

Stephen, you're definitely right about that...after playing with quite a few components. What I ended up settling on was...a fat switch! I paralleled quite a few resistors and found that it would start oscillating with anything really under a total value of around 780 or so and I really liked the sound of anything from .68 to 2.2 uf on the capacitor. All said and done, I have the fat switch found on the plexi mkII...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:36 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Capn_starsky wrote:
Stephen, you're definitely right about that...after playing with quite a few components. What I ended up settling on was...a fat switch! I paralleled quite a few resistors and found that it would start oscillating with anything really under a total value of around 780 or so and I really liked the sound of anything from .68 to 2.2 uf on the capacitor. All said and done, I have the fat switch found on the plexi mkII...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: