Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plexi MKII too loud
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:06 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hello all,

I built a Plexi MKII last winter and it sounds great; I love the crisp/clean Marshall sound.

However, it is just too loud. I am using the lower gain input and the channel master is on 1 and it is still roaring like a lion.
I have a Tramp and a TRifly - both great, but very different general sound. And much quiter, manageable. Have I bought the wrong amp?

Is there a way to tame the beast? A modification, which somehow keeps the sound, but reduces the loudness? 5 Watts like the tramp?
Or do I need a powersoak? or a low efficiency speaker? Like a Jensen 12'?
All help is appreciated.
Bests

Lars

Post subject: Re: Plexi MKII too loud
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:33 pm 
Friend
Friend

Lars,

Have you considered the Voltage Regulation Module from Trinity Amps? This allows you to dial down the power which translates to a decrease in volume. I have it on my MkII and with a little adjustment between the VRM, gain and volume, I can get a decent tone at lower volumes.

Just a suggestion.....

steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:04 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi Steve,

thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I am aware of VRM and have it on my Tramp, and it works ok. However I find the amount of reduction not really sufficient in order to have a workable loudness reduction.
Would it be possible to increase the resistance of the decoupling resistors between the two inputs and the power stage?
Thank you

Lars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:14 pm 
Friend
Friend

Not sure. Perhaps Coco can answer?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:03 am 
Friend
Friend

Oh my yes, 18 watts is loud. The real charachter of the 18 watt comes from the power tubes, and they gotta cook! I have the VRM on my Plexi (and Tweed), and it does a great job of knocking it down a few dbs, but to truly tame the beast I have a Fryette Power Station. There are less expensive attenuator options, but that's what work's for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:25 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Lars, you really would need to drop the voltage levels with a voltage divider to get reduction there. Like we do in the sIII. I would have suggested a VRM or even consider a PPIMV which reduces the drive right at the power tube grids. It works very well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:03 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hello folks,

Apologies for the late acknowledgement and thank you for all your replies. I will investigate and try your suggestions.
Best wishes

Lars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:29 am 

As I mention in another thread, I have low efficiency speakers (2x10, GB 10s), and I can attest that it makes a noticeable difference. I have compared that to a 2x12 Emi Pvt Jack cab, and a 2x10 Emi Ramrod cab, both quite efficient. For me it meant the difference between having to choke my amp in a small venue with efficient speakers as opposed to letting hang out with the less efficient Celestions.

That's more a matter of degrees rather than radical, so I don't know if that is a solution for you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:50 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Laughing kookaburra wrote:
As I mention in another thread, I have low efficiency speakers (2x10, GB 10s), and I can attest that it makes a noticeable difference. I have compared that to a 2x12 Emi Pvt Jack cab, and a 2x10 Emi Ramrod cab, both quite efficient. For me it meant the difference between having to choke my amp in a small venue with efficient speakers as opposed to letting hang out with the less efficient Celestions.

That's more a matter of degrees rather than radical, so I don't know if that is a solution for you.

Lower efficiency speakers are always an option if you like the tone, go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:31 pm 
Friend
Friend

Low efficiency speakers seem to be a really good idea. I had a Jensen speaker of which the sound I really liked... But not was too low efficiency for the Trifly, so it might be ideal for the Plexi!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:09 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I have a Trinity VRM that I installed in a self-built 18W amp and I am very happy with how the VRM works. I have it set up to only reduce the phase inverter and the poweramp but I know there are others who prefer to regulate all of the tubes. I had one in my TC15 as well but ended up removing that one to put in another amp because there was no difference between the effectiveness of the VRM and the master volume, at least to my ears. (without looking it up --- I believe the MV in the TC15 is a PPIMV...)

So if you are not happy with the VRM, then I would highly suggest (as coco did) a PPIMV. They are extremely easy to install and there are a few different types to try. They are very effective in designs where the power tubes are the source of the "tube sound." I would remove the standby switch and install the PPIMV pot there or do a switching-type pot like in the VRM and replace the power switch. I like them very much in every amp I've tried them in.

But at some point you also just need to realize that our brains are wired to interpret "louder" music as "better sounding" music (unless it's "louder" to the point of unpleasant distortion or pain of course.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:12 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

PPIMV do work well. WE can send you a schematic if you want. Just email us.