trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:33 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi everyone,

Just picked up a Celestion Heritage G12M. The speaker has a 20 watt rating and I'm planning on using it as the only speaker for my Trinity TMB. Am I pushing my luck with this speaker since I'm pretty sure my amp is putting out more than 18 watts? I mean, if I'm running either channel on 10 (or jumping them) and/or using a tubescreamer or fuzz in front as a boost, will I blow the speaker? This is apparently the same speaker that's in the Marshall 1974x reissue (although that one has been pre-aged).

How conservative are Celestion power ratings anyway? I'm pretty sure an AC30 cranked is putting out way more than 30 watts into 2 Blues that are rated at 15 watts each.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:38 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I have used 25W Celestions with no problems. You should be fine with 20. The ratings are quite conservative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:16 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks Stephen,

The speaker sounds great. I turned the amp up to 10 and it doesn't sound like I'm doing any damage - to the speaker, at least. I'm sure I'm doing some damage to my hearing! Even though this speaker is rated at 96db's, it's still plenty loud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:29 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The heriatagesssss are great speakers. The only one that I know of that compartes is the Scumback and they are cheaper then the Herri's and the real thing (most of the time.

LB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:55 pm 
Friend
Friend

Yeah, definitely a good speaker and definitely expensive! I was looking for a replacement for a G12H100 that practically fell apart (it was about 15 years old)...there was about a 4 inch section of the speaker that was no longer attached to the suspension. Yikes.

The Heritage G12M is made in England, unlike the 25W G12M's if that means anything (they're made in China now, I think). I haven't compared it to the less expensive 25 watters. The speaker is really bright. It sounds awesome with an SG through the normal channel. It's honestly the best tone I've gotten out of my Trinity. It's very bright with a tele. On the normal channel, I have to turn the tone almost all the way down and even turn down the tone slightly on the tele bridge pickup. It's weird, with the G12H100 and an Eminence Governor I was using the SG primarily with the TMB channel and the tele with the normal - with the greenback I'm doing the exact opposite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:42 pm 

Why didn't you just have your G12H100 speaker reconed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:47 pm 
Friend
Friend

That's a good suggestion. Honestly, I've been so happy with the greenback I haven't even thought about using my other speakers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:44 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

There is going to be a massive difference in top end response between a 20 greenback and a g12h100. The h100 highs are rolled WAY off in support of smoother tone with high gain amps. I am using one right now with an amp and I can have all the bright swtiches on (2 of them) presence and treble cranked and still have a dark warm tone. Once your ear gets used to that everything sounds brighter.

As for the original wattage question, the combo's I have seen at the local music store have the Heriatage 20 watt greenback. You should have no problems with damaging the speaker.