trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:49 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hello folks

I came across the scale control while reading through Merlin's pre-amp book some time ago. It's such a simple mod in that all you have to do is replace the upper resistor in the long tail pair with a potentiometer. Some users over at AX84 have reported that it works very well in preserving the power amp vibe at lower volumes. Anyway, I gave it a shot and ... well I was kind of disappointed. I understand what it attempts to achieve but the power amp mojo from my 18W plexi just wasn't there for me at lower volumes.

So before I look at installing the Trinity VRM or similar VVR mechanism, I am wondering if all these solutions to reducing volume and "preserving" power amp vibe are just snake oil? Does it really work?

Has anyone compared a scale control vs. VVR in the same amp? I'm curious to know what the general opinion is on this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:24 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Never compared them side by side but found the VRM worked quite well with good results.
I think one of the issues i that peoples hearing is not great at low levels and the perception of the results are affected by that. The sensitivity of the human ear changes as a function of frequency and SPL.