trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: to V6 or not to V6....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:27 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I have a trinity 18 watt transformer set that not surprisingly steers me to the 18 watters for the next build. Really going after the Plexi Brown sound this time around.

I'm sitting on the fence on whether to get the Plexi MkII EL84 only or to go with the option of also running 6V6 tubes, "v6". I'm curious as to how many folks out there with any (TMB, Plexi, sIII) of the 18 watt "v6" versions...
1. Do you use the EL84's or 6V6 more often?
2. Whats the tonal difference between the power tube options in a cranked amp with overdrive?
3. As far as tweaking the circuit, has the more complicated set up with the v6 limited your options as to what you wanted to try with the amp? For example, PPiMV, conjunctive filter, Ruby mod...

I have three EL84-based amps as it is right now...a 1974 clone, a modified "Foxy Brown" clone (sort of an AC15 EF86 channel), and a Mesa Mark 5/25 (which is a different beast all together). Just looking to broaden the tonal spectrum a bit. I've found a couple of sound clips here and there for the Plexi 6V6 but not much, but seems like a neat option to build. Any feedback much appreciated!

Thanks and Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:41 pm 
Expert
Expert

I feel like it is a very cool option but you are probably going to end up liking one tube more than the other and running with it 90% of the time.

I have an EL84 18W and though there is many many differences between it and my 6V6 18W I do prefer the 6V6 amp. Bit smoother overall feel with a cushier softer bottom end :rol .

I did a "Plexi" a couple years back with 6V6 that turned out really nice. If you do a quick search here you should be able to find it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:51 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I found the thread and the schematic, as well as the pics. That may be exactly what I'm looking for...I was at one point thinking of building a JTM so your 20w Plexi with the JTM switching may just do the trick. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:51 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

kirtlives amp is pretty awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:25 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Yeah the build looks incredible and the sound clips are really nice. I'm curious about the JTM/Plexi switching...it seems theres a slope resistor switch that changes from 56K to 33K (56 + 82 parallel). How much does this change the tone stack?...will it give a bit more of a mid/mid-bass boost?

As for the grid stopper on V2a...there is a 470K, but a 620K is switched in parallel for 260K. Does this equate to a "gainier" stage?

Thanks!...will be ordering a v6 kit soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:49 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

PharmRock wrote:
Yeah the build looks incredible and the sound clips are really nice. I'm curious about the JTM/Plexi switching...it seems theres a slope resistor switch that changes from 56K to 33K (56 + 82 parallel). How much does this change the tone stack?...will it give a bit more of a mid/mid-bass boost?

As for the grid stopper on V2a...there is a 470K, but a 620K is switched in parallel for 260K. Does this equate to a "gainier" stage?

kurtlives is on vacation for 4 weeks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:02 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I'm thinking I will go with a Plexi V6 and do some tweaking to get it the way I want it. Came across some info on "Rockstah's" (RIP) mod 5 and may try some of those values.

Start simple and then go from there....build in the "JTM" switching once I get the hot-rodded Plexi sound that I'm after.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:37 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

PharmRock wrote:
I'm thinking I will go with a Plexi V6 and do some tweaking to get it the way I want it. Came across some info on "Rockstah's" (RIP) mod 5 and may try some of those values.

Start simple and then go from there....build in the "JTM" switching once I get the hot-rodded Plexi sound that I'm after.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: