trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:58 pm 

I am planning my sIII build and had a wild hair. What all would be involved in mounting a sIII into a custom 2X12 cab ala matchless. I assume i would need to get the sIII head kit and construct it with TMB controls reversed and the normal channel pots reversed, are there any other obstacles or downsides to something like this? I like the look of a front accessible control panel.

This would be assuming of course that I can get Stephen to build a suitable cab for me :wink:

thanks,

Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:56 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The biggest challenge would be that the chassis front would have to be re-drilled to fit the panel because it would be upside down. A head chassis could be drilled it to suit the panel but it's pretty dicey. Some of the holes line up and the result would be some oblong holes.
Otherwise, buy a blank, box style, 20" X 6.5" X 2.5" chassis from Komboking and cut it to suit.

It's all quite doable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:15 pm 

If the pots are remounted to accomdate the chassis's change in orientation and custom faceplates are used, and power switches are assumed to be on the right instead of the left. Would you still need to make a custom chassis out of a blank?

A blank chassis seems mysteriously difficult...Don't you need some magical mojotone tools or something :lol:

Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:21 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You could just re-drill a head chassis & re-use the same panel. It's just that the with the way things line up, the final holes will end up being oblong and not round.

Yeah, to custom cut a chassis requires some special tools, particularily for the 7/8" socket holes. You could spend twice as much on tools as the chassis itself!

If there was more interest in it, I'd consider it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:34 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I would think it would be easier to have new faceplates made (with the lettering flipped) and leave the chassis the alone. Unless you really want the controls in the orientation, personally I like the having the input on the left, like Matchless/blackface Fenders etc. I did a TMB like this and I like it a lot.

Eddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:55 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yeah, I think you're right on. A custom faceplate is a lot easier and you get the inputs on the left just like the Matchless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:35 pm 

Thanks guys, its sounds like the custom faceplate idea will be the best route to take since I have no desire to overbuy expensive tools and create aluminum mulch :lol: