trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another sIII lives
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:34 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I got my sIII up and running tonight with some help from a friend who is an EE and Stephen. I'm an ME, so as far as I'm concerned, electricity is magic that the Keebler elves work on when they aren't busy with cookies.

It is an sIII kit with S2 iron, Sgtoverdrive tubes, GE rectifier, old Ei ECC-83 pre's and old russian military 6n-14n power tubes.

This is my first amp, first soldering job, first electronics build. I had a lot of questions that Stephen was very patient with. I don't have my cab in yet so I hooked up a Peavey 110 to it for testing. I know, but now you know why I built the sIII.

The amp is dead quiet, no transformer hum at all. My EE friend was impressed, turned both channels up to about three and the amp sounds great so far. As soon as the cab gets in, I'll give a follow up. I'll post pin voltages in the next few days.

As far as pictures, I don't have a digital camera, I'll see if I can borrow one when the cab gets in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:35 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Congratulations on your first ever electronics build. That's a real accomplishment. Now, I bet you can't wait to hear it cranked up. :D

Some time, a posting of your learnings from a new builder perspective would be helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:10 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I'm working on a write up of what I went through and tips I learned as a first timer. It will be up in a day or so. You can't get much more first timer than me I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:59 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

jcny, Glad to hear none of the little Keebler fellows jumped up and bit you during the build. They are little but they pack a punch!

What kind of speaker are you using with the amp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:19 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I'm waiting on the cabs to show up, should be this week, I hope. I have a 2 X 12 with Celestions, a G12H30 and V30 combination.

Once I get those in, I'll post my voltage chart and some of the things I learned buiding my first amp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:48 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Well, I believe that cab will ROCK! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:14 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Update on the cabs, builder had a minor problem with the grill cloth and redid them, they should be shipping tomorrow.

Since I am just learning to play guitar, been playing just over a year and have prgressed from "bloody horrendous" to "don't suck too bad", I went non-traditional. The cabs aren't tolexed. They are mahogony finished pine to look more like furniture and fit into the house.

I hope to have pictures when everything comes in.