trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My new sIII
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:50 am 

I completed my sIII combo build about 2 weeks ago (my first build!). Still have to finish the cabinet (have to choose between either picking up an early 70's blackback or a reconed 65ish greenback any thoughts???) but have been playing though other speakers I have here.

I found the kit was pretty straightforward to build - and Stephen was a BIG help in getting it done. I didn't have many questions (between the layout, schematic and instuctions its pretty well outlined), but when I did Stephen answered them promptly. To be honest I know my way around electronics but certainly not as well as most of you here.

Anyhow the tone is amazing! I am totally blown away. I've AB'd it against my buddy's Marshall and I think it beats it (he really likes it too!) - either way it looks like this bad boy can give a vintage marshall a run for its money. I'll have to post some sound clips (going over to record today - maybe I'll post an AB between the two??).

Just thought I'd pop my .02 cents in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:33 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Man-bot,

Great news on the amp. Looking forwrd to some sound clips for sure. Try to note the control settings when you do them.

Between the two speakers, I'd go for the greenback. Otherwise a V30 or an Alnico (Tone Tubby, Celestion Blue, Blue Dog or vintage Jensen. I have a twin Sammi that is almost done so maybe you should come over & try that out. It's supposed to be very close to the Greenback. Scumbacks are good too.

What Marshall amp were you comparing it to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well done, we want to see and hear it now ;-) I think an AB against a real Marshall would be good, I have only heard them seperatley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:16 am 

Well I was over at my buddy's today (His amp is a 1973 50 watt Marshall head w/ a basketweave & checkerboard cab - he just uses the basketweave though) - anyhow he certainly has been dialing his amp's tone since we first tested both and needless to say it has got 'it' (it'll be difficult to determine a hands down winner). It'll be interesting to record them head to head... when I get a chance we'll cut some tracks and I'll pop them up here (of course noting what each amp is set to).

Coco - I'd be more than happy to come and check out your twin sammi amp - it'll give me a good reference point for vintage vs newer speakers... maybe you'll have one of your trinity 15s to check out... you've piqued my interest!

Legin - The wiring isn't as pretty as other builds posted here (shyness) but it works/sounds great which is the important part... much to learn about how to do this neatly for the next build! I'll pop some pics up shortly - and as soon as we get to A/Bing the amps the sound files will go up.

Till then!