trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tube Sockets?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:00 am 
Novice
Novice

I need to replace the preamp tube sockets that came with my (non-Trinity... :( )18W kit. First of all, the shield cans never did fit very well; secondly the collars to which the shields attach are flimsy and have gotten bent just from normal handling during assembly; thirdly the solder tags are flimsy; and finally, I've just discovered that I've got a couple of pins where solder wicked down into the socket while I was wiring them and I can't get it to all suck out.

So what are your favorite shielded 9-pin miniature tube sockets, and who's got 'em? I've looked at all the usual vendors, and you can't tell much from the online pictures and descriptions.

What are your favorite 9-pin power tube sockets too? I haven't had any problems with the ones that came with my kit, but the solder tabs on them are even flimsier than the shielded sockets.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:44 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hey dB, I've only used 3 or 4 different kinds of sockets in my builds. First, Angela Amps (angela.com) has their "China Nine Pin Noval J-Slot Ceramic Tube Socket With Matching Shield For Guitar Amps " for $1.50 each; I've used these several times and had no problems. I have also used sockets from triodeel.com , namely their "9 pin eramic Socket with Shield" for $1.95. I like these a bit better than Angela's... These also worked well, but the ceramic cores look sort of old (some would say "aged"...!). See http://www.triodeelectronics.com/9pincershld.html

I have also bought some surplus stuff from apexjr.com that worked well for EL84's, called 9-pin Minature Chassis Mount; see http://www.apexjr.com/miscellaneous.html. However, you will need to buy some sort of clip or retainer wires for these (I think Angela and Triodeel may sell these, too, only not so cheap). I like these because you can mount them under the chassis; they are low profile and look neat if you can cut/drill a good hole.

Hey are you in the central AR area? I know another guy who homebrews amps, too. We do lunch from time to time; would you like to join us?
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:03 pm 
Novice
Novice

bentonar18 wrote:

Hey are you in the central AR area? I know another guy who homebrews amps, too. We do lunch from time to time; would you like to join us?

Sounds like fun, I'd love to.

Do you know Johnny from Atomic Guitars? He's got a build under his belt, and is working on another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:55 pm 
Friend
Friend

I think I've seen him at the store; bring him along. Email me at jmcgee NOSPAMAT cei.net and we'll try and set up lunch sometime in the next week or so. Thanks!