trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:38 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

This is a 'new' design based on the TMB 18 standard. s2 & I have changed the TMB design to:

1) eliminate the dreaded and awful TMB squeal
2) slightly reduce the TMB channel gain for more versatility & range
3) provide more plexi-like tone
4) replaced the Normal channel with the original 18W Tremolo design
5) put all the tubes in the correct chassis positions v1-v2-v3 etc.
6) two different channels have great tonal versatility
7) make it even quieter with a slightly altered grounding scheme

This design really responds to different pickups very well. Two amps have been built to rave reviews by the customers and players alike. We're feeling pretty good about it so it's being called the sIII (stephen & s2 = sIII). Of course they both use s2 trasnformers!

Clips by lbet are posted below.

Normal Channel

Trinity18_sIII_Normal_10 - is the normal channel of the amp set with volume on 10 and the tone on 4 using a historic '59 reissue 335 with wcr crossroads pickups in it. This clip was done on the bridge pickup only. It was through an Avatar 2x12. The cab is loaded with one BBQ G1230-55 and one Scumbag SA-12-75. Only the Scumbag was miked with an sm57 and a Apex 430 condenser.

http://www.trinityamps.com/ForumGallery ... mal_10.mp3

TMB Channel

Trinity18_sIII_TMB_clean_335_tmb - is just that volume at 6 master at 6 into the same cab and same mike positions as the Normal clip.

http://www.trinityamps.com/ForumGallery ... 35_tmb.mp3

Trinity18_sIII_TMB_335rhy_lesPaulLead - is a little messing around lbet did with a 335 with wcr crossroads on the rhythm. The acdc riff shows off the plexi nature of the tmb channel now. The lead is the les paul with darkburst pickups mostly the neck position channelling slash. The TMB controls were Bass 4 mids 8 treble 4 volume 8 master 7.

http://www.trinityamps.com/ForumGallery ... ulLead.mp3

More clips to come soon.

As always, all comments are welcome! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:02 pm 
Expert
Expert

Sweet sounding amp, well done guys.
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:54 pm 
Expert
Expert

Yeah, I second the motion....sounds great!

Now the big question is will this design/layout be available for download over at 18watt? or is this amp going to be a trinity/s2 only thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:38 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Well, I'm thinking it will be a Trinity Forum Exclusive to start. We're still doing some minor tweaking but it would be good to get some other builders to try it out and get some feedback on it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:34 pm 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
Well, I'm thinking it will be a Trinity Forum Exclusive to start. We're still doing some minor tweaking but it would be good to get some other builders to try it out and get some feedback on it

Oh, that's what i meant.

Was it going to be free for others to build...or was it only going to be in amps that you two build.

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:56 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Thats good to hear. I think the design modifications give a much wider range of clean tones than the stock TMB. Having said that, if your thing is pure grind and distortion the stock TMB is probably for you. It has all the distortion you need and a little bit more. The new mods make the TMB channel MUCH cleaner until it is nearly maxed out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:33 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

And now, some strat clips from Mr. lbet ... I think you can really hear the plexi tones subtly coming through. Check out strat2. These clips also demonstrate the amps TMB channel versatility in easily being able to go from clean to dirty.

Generally, the controls were: Bass 7, Mids 4, Treble 7 (a bit too high maybe) Volume 8 or so Master 6. There was some variation from clip to clip but most of the clean to dirty changes were all done from the guitar.

Trinity_18_sIII_TMB_Strat1 - is a little messing around lbet did with a strat.

http://www.trinityamps.com/ForumGallery ... Strat1.mp3

Trinity_18_sIII_TMB_Strat2 - is a little more messing around lbet did with a strat. Some reverb added.

http://www.trinityamps.com/ForumGallery ... Strat2.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:34 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Nice clips, lbet! Let me know when you guys get those pedals...

This was a fun project. Stephen and I have been collaborating quite a bit lately it seems, and it is nice to have one turn out really well--especially considering the distance between Toronto and the big D.

Seriously, this really is a better design than some of the other TMBs. It sounds better and is easier to build. I think we have a winner here if I do say so myself :)

Back to your regular programming...

Last edited by s2 on Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:17 pm 
Expert
Expert

I think Frank and I hold the collaboration distance record with Perth to NY :-) I would definately be interested in building the sIII, however I would be stuck using Hammond trannies until S2 gets his sh*t together and provides some 240V primaries ;-)
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:21 pm 
Expert
Expert

Legin wrote:
I think Frank and I hold the collaboration distance record with Perth to NY :-) I would definately be interested in building the sIII, however I would be stuck using Hammond trannies until S2 gets his sh*t together and provides some 240V primaries ;-)
Nigel

Oh dayum!

Them's some fightin words!

Nigel 1
Steve 0

Post subject: TMB sIII?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:54 pm 
Friend
Friend

"This is a 'new' design based on the TMB 18 standard. s2 & I have changed the TMB to"

That's the ticket...always felt like the normal side/channel of the TMB designs could use something.

Those are great clips, great job!

Regards,

Johnny M
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:35 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Legin wrote:
Nigel

Man, I would love to do that and am contemplating it for my European customers. The thing is I don't have enough room for the extra windings unless I either eliminate the 5V rectifier tap or bring the current rating way down to the point it will only support a 5Y3 like the Heyboer. I use the same PT for the Lightning and 18 Watt, so that would force me to stock 2 different versions and there just hasn't been enough demand for them. Hammond PTs seem to be very inexpensive in Europe, so most of my customers from across the pond use Hammond PTs and my OTs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:38 am 
Expert
Expert

Well, I'm just investigating whether we can do a PT here that will do the trick. One of my parts suppliers has in the past had specials done for radios and was able to supply me with a couple of Hammond clones that were spec'd up a bit. Usual stuff though, to make it work there has to be a bit of demand.
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:41 am 
Expert
Expert

The good thing about the hammond 300 series, is that it offers multiple tap options on the primary.

You can select 115v, 120v, 220v, 240v etc....Since you have an option to match the primary with actual income voltage, the PT doesn't deliver overblown secondary numbers.

So a hammond PT is still a good option for over seas stuff.

One other option, Nigel...is to shoot an email over to Nik @ Ceri@tone. He's got his own line of trannies...and perhaps his PT might fit the bill. I know his prices for the PT are awesome...just the shipping is costly...to the US. But to down under from where he is...it might be quiet reasonable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:02 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'll do just that Frank, thanks. He's in Singapore or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

Legin wrote:
I'll do just that Frank, thanks. He's in Singapore or something?

Malaysia is where Nik be.

CR ><>

http://www.geocities.com/woodcrossamps/

Post subject: Re: TMB sIII?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:12 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

littlejohn wrote:
That's the ticket...always felt like the normal side/channel of the TMB designs could use something.
Those are great clips, great job! Johnny M)

Well, just today, I went another step further. I put a second bypass resistor on a toggle switch so lbet can switch the TMB tone at will (Clean - Grit) . I'm hoping to get some demo clips of that so you can hear what it sounds like. I know he says he likes it so far. It might become standard if it sounds good enough.

As far as the normal channel goes. I really recommend the change from the standard 18W.com design. Just a reconfig with minor parts change.

The sIII is an improvement on a good design and it is proving to be like having a little plexi with extra grind (via the MV) on demand.

Post subject: Wow!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:59 pm 
Friend
Friend

Wow this sounds incredible. This has it all. Brillant sounds and beautiful distortion.

A+

Post subject: Re: TMB sIII?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:32 am 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
As far as the normal channel goes. I really recommend the change from the standard 18W.com design. Just a reconfig with minor parts change.

Stephen,

what's the change that's made to the normal channel?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:15 pm 
Friend
Friend

If I read the posts right, the "normal side" of the TMB-MV will now sound "more like" the Normal Channel of his Standard 18Trem model.

The TMB side of the TMB-MV will lose a little gain...I think this means we will be almost be getting the best of both amps...but no Trem of course.

I guess S2 transformers will be standard as well now?

Maybe Stephen can chime is if my take is right?

Rock On,

JM :?: