trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:42 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

brwnsnd wrote:
1)can I control cascade function(and boost)with push pull dpdt pots mounted on front panel?(had a couple 500k push/pull dpdt on hand)
what rating does cascade switch need to be

Yes you can. One dpdt switch is enough for each. Low current so those should work fine.

brwnsnd wrote:
2)what changes do I need to make to my board(board is populated as per plexi schematic/layout but not soldered yet?.I see on schematic(for cascade mod) possibly need to change cap that leads to pin 7 of PI(excuse me still just learning amp construction)from photo's of board in amp built for Rune looks like a couple changes made with caps going to and from PI(the 2 caps between PI +EL84's,not shown on schematic for this mod,what are their value?)

You need to feed From the channel you want to cascade To the other. Where you connect on the board depends on that decision. Runes went from TMB channel into the Normal channel. Use shielded cable for sure though.

I suggest that you get the amp going and then make these mods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:50 am 

Hi
What is the difference between feeding the tmb channel into the normal or vice versa?
If I want to feed the tmb into the normal channel is the tmb channel taken before or after the tone stack?

/Taz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:22 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The last channel becomes the "Master channel" meaning, it can control the volume and also it depends on what channel you want to play and then switch to.
In this case, the TMB channel was the main channel with the Normal as the cascade . When cascade is kicked in, remember that channel input is not active.

Tone wise, it can make a difference due to the voicing of the channel.

But bottom line is, in cascade mode, every control in the sound chain is active with one input and one extra gain stage. Very cool indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:35 am 

Is this being included in a kit yet?? or just mod the Plexi?? Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The mod in it's simplest form only needs a DPDT toggle switch, 100K resistor and some wire. It's not in the standard kit. I guess it could be an option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:40 pm 

OK. I'm guessing no relays if just using the switch, right??

Also, what is the volume increase like with a cascade as opposed to an additional gain stage (triode)?? Thanks again!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:51 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

No relays required with the DPDT switch. The volume increase is not huge, but the gain and distortion factor increases significantly. That's the intention of the mod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:22 pm 

Sounds sweet!, my kinda amp.Now if that job application goes through we'll be good to go!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:45 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Quote:
The mod in it's simplest form only needs a DPDT toggle switch, 100K resistor and some wire. It's not in the standard kit. I guess it could be an option.

Is this an option yet? Still no Tramp pricing and kits, so the itch is taking me to 18w models now, must build something and I really like this idea.
So how much for this option, oh with say an amp kit with iron and new panel with level control? I will be watching my email.

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:22 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

This is an easy mod as long as you don't need to relay switch it. A toggle switch works fine. The relay is more involved.

Tramp pricing is coming very soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:47 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

So, I have two tramps, a triwatt and a tweed, so its either this or a TC-15. And a head cab, when did you say holidays were done? Do you have anymore pnls like you used on this one?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:44 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Taz13 wrote:
So, I have two tramps, a triwatt and a tweed, so its either this or a TC-15. And a head cab, when did you say holidays were done? Do you have anymore pnls like you used on this one?

This was a custom job but we did get one extra panel. Costs a little more but you might like it. The cascade was easy enough with a toggle switch but a bit tough with a relay footswitch.

Send email for details.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:53 am 
Experienced
Experienced

This will be interesting.
Rune, are still using a 4x12 with scumbacks?
I'll be going 2x12 closed back, speakers to be determined but I am leaning towards speakers from WGS but I also have a couple of Hellatone 60s ( Celstion vintage 30 that have been aged and excersized). I also have a whole bunch of blue marvel peavey speakers, I like peavey amps but hate peavey blue marvels.
Purple tolex with white piping for the head cab 2x12 to be covered in ?, the only certainty is that it won't be blackor white and won't have a black grill.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:15 am 
Friend
Friend

Okay, since I have had the amp a good while now, I can answer some questions. :)

Still Using the 18watt with my Scumback 4X12 loaded cab yup! :D
But I am starting to think that the 4X12 Marshall cab ist not that kind of tone-machine that I want, something about the construction perhaps??

If I was you I wold get a convertible cab with 2X12 so you can run it booth openback combo-style and closed back in the same cab :D

I am somewhat hesitant to recommend the cascaded amp, If you build the amp yourself anyway, why not try it first as either a 18watt sIII or 18watt plexi without the cascade gain thing?? I have a feeling that you would like that just as good :D because I most regularly play out of the sIII JTM-45 type (TrebleMiddleBass)channel myself.. :D :D

I only play with my LesPaul Standard with aftermarket boutiqe PAF pickups straigt into the amp no pedals yet.. :)

But I only have one guitar(the LP) and don't really know if a strat or tele would sound completely diffrent with it though, and would make the Cascade thing "a really good mod" for theese guitars??

could the people who have tried booth my amp(18watt cascade) and the regular 18watt sIII give me a few EQ-setting to try out to better nail "the good tones" which vintage Jtm45/1962-bluesbreaker and plexi Marshalls are known for..
Thanks

I useally play with the VRM/VVR Power-Level on 1,5-3,5 and perhaps sometimes 4-6 ,but very seldom above the 3-4 mark :| ,
I find that if I sit on the floor close to the speaker cab It sounds "Really sublimely excellent" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: "
But when I stand up in the room playing it is not allways that good sounding sometimes it iss sounding a bit harsh.. or other times a bit muffled with harsh highs :(

How much would I change the tone/sound going from a 4X12 to 2X12 or 1X12 open or closed back???? :?: :| :hmmm:

ouch, that got a bit longwinded LOL :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:54 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I intend to get each part working as I build and have a few ideas on how I am going to do it.
I also plan on mating it with either an Eminence Reignmaker or Maverick. That allows adjusting the Speaker efficency from 90 - 99db, which gives even more tonal possibilities

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:49 am 
Friend
Friend

Hey Rick, :)
since you have both the "Trinity tweed Deluxe" and the "Trinity Tramp", would you say that I can can get Fender tweed Deluxe tones out of it?
also Fender tweed Bassman type tones and beatyfull Fender Deluxe Reverb Blackface type tones ?? also Do your tramp have the Jensen Blackbird alnico 10" speaker from Stephen ?
do you use it with 6v6 or 6L6-tubes ??

Also Is you Trinity Deluxe with VRM/VVR powerlevel output controll ?

Thanx

Regards
Rune

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:22 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

viewtopic.php?f=11&p=19716#p19716

I use mostly WGS speakers and in the Tweed I am using a G12C which is comparable to the Jensen C12n. It seems to be happy no matter what speaker/guitar or pedal combination I throw at it. With patence in learning the interactive controls you can go from champ 600 to a full blown blackface. And a whole lot more.
I just prefer the Tramp (6V6 in it now) as it is a tone monster. My second Tramp I am going to build as a head and put in a rotary switch to select several o/p tube types. It is also the only amp I use an alnico in, again a WGS speaker G10A. Quite often I run with a Vetran 10 ceramic WGS in parallel giving 2 great tones. The Tramp also works very well with my hellatone 60 in a split back Avatar cube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:51 pm 

Is it possible to get a copy of the full original schematic that is shown modded on the first page? I see that the normal channel output has a coupling cap (0.02-0.1) just before the phase inverter that I don't understand so i would like to compare it with the original full schematic.

regards
Taz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:29 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

tazwolf wrote:
Is it possible to get a copy of the full original schematic that is shown modded on the first page? I see that the normal channel output has a coupling cap (0.02-0.1) just before the phase inverter that I don't understand so i would like to compare it with the original full schematic.

regards
Taz

Just check the reference schematics. The originals are posted foreach amps type.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:36 pm 

I want to use a DPDT switch for this. What size fits in the Booster hole in the chassis, mini or full size? Thanks.