trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:24 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Hi guys,

Just got my sIII kit from Stephen! I'm pumped! It took about three weeks to get here so anyone thinking about ordering know that it does not come fast.

Anyways, so far the wait has been worth it. The kit is well packaged, well thought out, and of high quality.

But i ran into my first snag. My package came short a few resistors. I somehow got 100ohm instead of 100k, and i'm short one 820r resistor. Anyways, i can easily temp in some radioshack cheapo resistors rather then wait three more weeks to get this amp running, but my problem is with the 820ohm ones. The closest match radiochack carries is 680ohm. Can any of the 820ohm resistors be swithed out for 680 without too much effect on the sound? Remember i'm only looking for a temporary solution until i get the proper parts from Stephen.

Thanks guys!

-Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:53 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Send an email to Stephen.He'll take care of it asap for sure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:06 am 
Experienced
Experienced

well of course stephen is terrific. I'm sure he will have it handled soon.

I just went ahead and used the 680 for now... i don't think i can get into too much trouble; just the tone might be off... since it's in the TMB circuit i'll stay in the normal channel until i get a solid answer i guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:12 am 
Novice
Novice

I purchased my sIII V6 from Coco in December. I got an Email from him before the kit arrived , stating that he thought that he had left out a resistor by mistake and that he had sent it on its way. I got the resistor two days before I received the kit. Sure enough, it was needed. I asked him how he knew. He said that he has a system of containers in which he collects all of the parts before he boxes it up. Contact him. I'll wager that he's already on the case.
Oh, and you're gonna love the amp.

LeeMo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:06 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Yeah thanks for the words of reasurance....

I'm sure Stephen will take care of it he has some of the best customer service i know of. I've never had a single doubt that he will help me fix this.

Anyways, finished up the board last night. Wiring up the tube sockets now... for the shielded sockets for v1, v2, v3, the mounting brackets don't quite sit flush on the chassis, is this normal or is there something im missing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:28 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Here's a shot of the board, it has at least one mistake on it; which i have already fixed. :)

And here is what i mean about the tube sockets; is it something im doing wrong? (sorry aobut the low quality pic here)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:40 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

That seems odd..do the sockets sit flush on the chassis without the screws? Maybe the holes are out of round a bit.Sometimes the chassis punch can distort the surrounding metal-maybe a bit of filing will fix it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:19 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

yeah they sit flush the problem is the ceramic tube sockets don't fit inside of them. It's not a bg deal they still hold the sockets in tightly and I bet i am the only one who ever notices it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:18 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Made lots of progress yesterday; everything is done except the pots!

Pictures up in a few minutes.

I can hear it already! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:18 am 
Experienced
Experienced

As promised:

Sorry i forgot to move the OT wires out of the way...

Rectifier socket, only one more lead to go.

Wiring up the cliff jacks to the impendance switch is probably the hardest part I've had yet, I dont have wire strippers and it was pretty hard to strip that wire; so i ended up just cutting a piece of wire off, stripping it, then soldering it to the lead from the OT.

At this point I was flying; it's my first time building an amp or anything electronic really (besides my computer) so it's a bit messy, but i was both happy with how it came out and surprised at how well I did.

I included this one to show how i hooked up the terminal strips; it was quite difficult getting those bolts tight, if i were to do it again i would have drilled holes for them in the chassis before i mounted everything.

Hope you guys enjoyed my photosession. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:53 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I’m enjoying your photo session.

Quote:
But i ran into my first snag. My package came short a few resistors. I somehow got 100ohm instead of 100k, and i'm short one 820r resistor.

I let my system down! I put 100 ohm resistors in the 100K parts bin. Problem corrected and parts on their way.
Carbon film are OK for now [some kits only use CF!!] . But better to use 1K instead of 680 for the 820 for now. Again, parts on their way.

Quote:
for the shielded sockets for v1, v2, v3, the mounting brackets don't quite sit flush on the chassis, is this normal or is there something im missing

There is a small indent in the retaining rings that sometimes causes the ceramic socket to not sit flat. But with pressure, they should sit flat. Might be a bit fiddly.

Quote:
I included this one to show how i hooked up the terminal strips; it was quite difficult getting those bolts tight, if i were to do it again i would have drilled holes for them in the chassis before i mounted everything.

Yes, terminal strips.. I sometimes have to trim the end of them so they will fit perpendicular to the socket. It’s a function of space and tolerances. I will add that tip to the FAQ in the manual.

BTW, the Mains Ground Strap should go to the #8 hole below the IEC socket and be secured with lockwasher/#8 nut/bolt. Should not be connected to IECs socket per the Electrical Code. What you've done is safe just not to code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:54 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Quote:
BTW, the Mains Ground Strap should go to the #8 hole below the IEC socket and be secured with lockwasher/#8 nut/bolt. Should not be connected to IECs socket per the Electrical Code. What you've done is safe just not to code.

Hmm just noticed that; I don't think i'll fix that as I'm happy with how clean it is right now.

Thanks for your comments and advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:24 pm 
Novice
Novice

Looks good so far. Great for a noob. 8)
You might want to re-heat the orange wire on V-2.
Awesome pics!

LeeMo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:58 am 
Experienced
Experienced

LeeMo wrote:
Looks good so far. Great for a noob. 8)
You might want to re-heat the orange wire on V-2.
Awesome pics!

LeeMo

Hey nice catch! That looks a little cold. Thanks for your kind words. Hopefully my noob built amp will sound good. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Anyone know where i can get coax cable locally?

I accidentally cut it for the power lead not realizing that it was coaxial and now I'm stuck with a bunch of lengths that i can't use...

If i use regular wire and twist will it be much worse? Maybe i can use normal wire and twist for now while i wait for some to come from some internet site...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:04 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Revv23 wrote:
Anyone know where i can get coax cable locally?

I accidentally cut it for the power lead not realizing that it was coaxial and now I'm stuck with a bunch of lengths that i can't use...

If i use regular wire and twist will it be much worse? Maybe i can use normal wire and twist for now while i wait for some to come from some internet site...

It's not 100% necessary to use coax because you're only using one conductor. It's more for noise and I like to keep things quiet. Most kits suppliers done even bother with it but we do. So you can just string regular wire there for now.

I have used RCA audio cable from stereo patch cords. $1 for 36" at the local 5 & dime! Dont get the really thick stuff.

If you want, I can send you more. email me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:18 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I've got some RCA I'm not using right here. Perfect, thanks Stephen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:53 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

nm figured it out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:21 am 
Experienced
Experienced

she is running; sounds great.

pics asap in the morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:47 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Running? Already? Whoa! Pics & Clips plz.

Congratulations. Can you post your voltages for reference?