trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:28 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I received an s2 18watt output transformer on Friday. I finally got it installed and gave it a quick test drive this morning. I can't remember what anyone has said about it (other than s2 worked hard to create it) so I am testing blind in a way. Also, for reference sake, my Trinity 18 is equipped with a Heyboer transformer set shipped directly from GDS. I have been playing that amp almost every day for about 3 months. For these test I was driving a Bognor Shiva style 1x12 with a vintage 30 in it. The guitar was a historic '57 les paul custom with '57 classics in it.

Quick Summary.
Complex mids
Fast response to picked notes
Tighter Bass (Especially in the TMB channel
Better clean tones.
More harmonic overtones on held notes and chords.

Detailed Report.
So, I started my test in the normal channel. I immediately noticed a more complex midrange response and clarity. There was more grind in the normal channel than with the Heyboer. I don't know if these are the same thing but they were both there. The complex mids and clarity allowed me to play stuff like Stone Temple Pilots with great results. If you have ever tried to play major 7th chord in distortion mode you will know that it doesn't always work with all amps. It wasn't bad before but it is noticeably better now.

In terms of faster response, the notes just seemed to jump out of the speaker with a nice pop on the leading edge. The pop is that percussive note attack that I remember hearing from 100 watt plexi's. I like that. The really cool thing is it can be controlled with pick attack and palm muting. Can't stop the pop!

Tighter bass!!!
This was a very pleasant surprise. With the Heyboer, in the TMB channel I had to keep bass <3-4 to keep the channel from sounding muddy and loosing definition. The response of the s2OT was such that the bottom end is much more focused than before. No need for a 250M pot to try and trim back the bass. Not sure yet but the top end seemed less harsh too. I NEVER have the TMB treble above 5 but had it maxed and was loving it.!!!!

Better Cleans.
Clean sounds from an 18 watt? Well, previously the clean sounds were a little flat with no real sparkle in the sound. It was ok but a little lifeless compared with the cleans on other amps. With the s2OT the normal channel really came to life for clean sounds. Even with a les paul the sounds had more 3d qualities than before. Considering clean sounds are not the forte of this design it was a pleasant surprise. Because of this and the more complex mids, the range of tones available from the Normal channel just went up 2 fold.

Harmonic Overtones.
My favourite topic. I love my two rock opal because you hit a note, order a beer, and when you come back the note has bloomed into a higher harmonic. The Trinity 18 now has more of that quality than it ever had with the Heyboer OT. I was a little surprised when I hit two notes and within seconds had a different harmonics just jumping out of the amp. They were there before but now! Oh Boy! This is very cool and usually only found in the most responsive and finely tuned amps (like my Two Rock Opal (costing $4k) which does this even at bedroom levels).

Summary
I still have a bunch of A/B testing to do but my fist impression is thumbs up. My least favourite qualities of the 18 watt design have been mitigated and my most favourite have been enhanced. The amp has enhanced clarity, focus and complexity that didn’t come through with the old transformer. For me this is a keeper.!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:15 pm 
Expert
Expert

My 18watt lite II has one of steve's s2 trannies.

Can't comment about the Heyboer's, since I've never heard one...but the s2 sounds great from my end!

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:32 am 
Novice
Novice

S2, want to trade a Heyboeur OT for one of yours? :-)

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:32 am 
Experienced
Experienced

The s2 tranny is permanently mounted in my amp now.

I will be doing some clips this weekend of the Trinity 18 with the s2 output tranny. There will be lots of rock and roll in there played on various single and humbucking guitars. I will put a link in here when I post 'em.

lbet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:17 am 
Experienced
Experienced

As promised, here are a couple of clips of the s2 Transformer in the Trinity 18 Watt TMB.

The first is the normal channel with volume on 6 tone on 10.
The second is a 12 bar blues thing. Once again normal channel with the Volume on 10 and the tone on 1. It is one of my fav settings on this channel.

Salute
12 Bar

Also here is a link to the comments on the 18 Watt site. The same clips are posted there.

s2 Output Transformer; Sound Clips

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 3:43 am 

It's great to hear that you're pleased with the results of installing the S2 18-watt output transformer in your Trinity 18 amplifier! It sounds like the transformer has brought about several positive changes in the amp's performance.
The complex midrange response and increased clarity you mentioned can contribute to a more articulate and defined tone, allowing you to achieve better results when playing different styles of music, including more intricate chords and harmonies.
rankdle