Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5F1 tweaks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:27 am 
Novice
Novice

Greetings to all!

I have built a Trinity TC-15 and Tweed Deluxe and enjoyed them immensely. Recently built a 5F1 Champ with some old Supro components and small Supro combo cab. It sounds good but I am now building a cab following Stephen's nice Tramp design so I can employ a 10" speaker. I'm also looking for a tweak or two to increase the high frequencies a bit, if possible. The very small Supro cab sounds a tad boxy and has an annoying resonant frequency at the low B.

My present combo has an 8" TT Humboldt, variable resistance pot for negative feedback, and a switch to reduce the stock 25 uF/470 ohm capacitance/resistance in the 6V6 cathode bypass. The trannies are beefy so could take a 6L6 with a few small changes. 12AX7 in the preamp circuit.

Any suggestions to reduce bass or increase treble a tad? I'm considering the TT Silver Bullet 10" in the new cab, but open to other ideas (I like the 12" TT Alnico in my TC-15 but don't want to spend $300 again). I'm not looking for a lot of crunch, since I usually prefer to use pedal OD for that - rather, a mostly clean sound with the ability to adjust as I have now with the variable NFB and switchable cathode bypass.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: 5F1 tweaks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:03 pm 

HarmonyoftheSpheres wrote:
Greetings to all! soccer skills world cup

I have built a Trinity TC-15 and Tweed Deluxe and enjoyed them immensely. Recently built a 5F1 Champ with some old Supro components and small Supro combo cab. It sounds good but I am now building a cab following Stephen's nice Tramp design so I can employ a 10" speaker. I'm also looking for a tweak or two to increase the high frequencies a bit, if possible. The very small Supro cab sounds a tad boxy and has an annoying resonant frequency at the low B.

My present combo has an 8" TT Humboldt, variable resistance pot for negative feedback, and a switch to reduce the stock 25 uF/470 ohm capacitance/resistance in the 6V6 cathode bypass. The trannies are beefy so could take a 6L6 with a few small changes. 12AX7 in the preamp circuit.

Any suggestions to reduce bass or increase treble a tad? I'm considering the TT Silver Bullet 10" in the new cab, but open to other ideas (I like the 12" TT Alnico in my TC-15 but don't want to spend $300 again). I'm not looking for a lot of crunch, since I usually prefer to use pedal OD for that - rather, a mostly clean sound with the ability to adjust as I have now with the variable NFB and switchable cathode bypass.

Thanks in advance!

The tonal qualities of your amplifier may be greatly influenced by the speaker you choose. You're thinking about the TT Silver Bullet 10", and it's a fantastic option because of its features, which could fit well with your intended tone modifications.