All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OSD is Live
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:15 am 
Novice
Novice

Attachment:
1021OSD4.jpg
1021OSD4.jpg [ 243.59 KiB | Viewed 3348 times ]
I finished my OSD build a few dqys ago. I had a couple of minor teething problems - the biggest issue was the NFB loop. I guess I've always been lucky with the amps I've built previously - I've never had to switch the plate leads on the power tubes before. I had a hard time understanding the issue because I believed that having positive bias would be obvious with noise and squealing - it wasn't, it only happened when a certain note was played through a specific amp/cabinet combination. I'm posting this hoping that I may help another builder down the road.

It pains me to say it, but I'm sorely disappointed in the support on this forum. My first build was back in 2011 and it was a Trinity 18 Watt sIII. I had a tremendous amount of help online here. I built a Triwatt in 2012 and found much support again. Then I branched out and built a few other amps and had a ton of suuport on the Amp Garage putting together a Trainwreck inspired amp from a chassis I bought and a pile of parts. Not so much help or interest here. I hope home-built amps are not in decline, but forum activity makes me wonder.

BTW - the OSD is awesome! I might modify the Presence to make it less subtle, but otherwise the cleans are great and the overdrive is creamy smooth. It's also very quiet with no hiss unless I have the volume and master master volume up around three o'oclock or higher.

Attachments:
1018OSD1.jpg
1018OSD1.jpg [ 211.38 KiB | Viewed 3348 times ]
1021OSD1.jpg
1021OSD1.jpg [ 209.29 KiB | Viewed 3348 times ]
1021OSD2.jpg
1021OSD2.jpg [ 202.3 KiB | Viewed 3348 times ]
1021OSD3.jpg
1021OSD3.jpg [ 230.31 KiB | Viewed 3348 times ]

Post subject: Re: OSD is Live
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:20 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Your OSD looks great! I've built a Triwatt and a Tramp, and the OSD may be on my list for next year. A couple of Plexi-style builds have occupied my time and money this year but the overdrive special has always interested me.

I agree about the activity on this forum...it is hit or miss lately. I haven't seen the old regulars like Zaphod Phil and Kurtlives in quite some time...they always gave pretty quick and extremely helpful responses. However, I've always gotten pretty quick responses when communicating directly with Stephen.

amp garage is pretty good. I also recommend the forum on Hoffman amps. Very active board with extremely knowledgeable moderators. I follow along on most of the threads mainly for the learning benefit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks. I visit Amp Garage frequently and also The Gear Page. I used to follow EL84 - Hofman's forum, but not so much lately. They're all educational for sure. Build an OSD - I'm glad I did.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:13 am 
Novice
Novice

I have to add a testimonial. I never thought an amp would knock my Trainwreck insipired amp off of the top rung, but this amp has. It's an incredible amp - the cleans are good, the OD is incredible and I can imagine the PAB would work well in a band mix - I haven't gigged in a while, so I'm just playing for enjoyment - and I absolutely enjoy this amp.