trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strange Sound
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:34 pm 
Novice
Novice

I completed my Trinity OSD kit. When I play it through an Avatar 112 cabinet loaded with a Celestion Vintage 30, I get a weird oscillation when I play the 6th string, 5th fret (A). It's a bass tone that's louder than any other note. It doesn't happen anywhere else on the neck, only the 5th fret, 6th string.

I plugged it into my Marshall 112 cabinet loaded with a Celestion 70/80 and it doesn't happen. Then I hooked up my Trainwreck style amp to the Avatar cabinet - same guitar, same cabinet location and it doesn't happen. It's only the combo of the OSD playing through the Avatar cabinet that makes this sound. If I play loud with a strong pick attack the oscillation doesn't stop - I can mute the strings and it continues. I have no idea of what's going on here. Any ideas?

Last edited by Koop on Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Strange Sound
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

So, I played for another hour tonight with the OSD and Marshall cab - no issues, in fact thr OSD is one of the least noisy amps I've ever played. Then I played the Trainwreck into the Avatar cab and noticed an increase in hum and a couple of crackles. I suspect something is up with either the Avatar wiring or the speaker. I'll have to open it up for a look-see.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:38 pm 
Novice
Novice

I found the problem. I had positive feedback instead of negative feedback. I swapped the output wires on the plates of V4 and V5, problem solved. I had always assumed having them the wrong way around would result in a squealing, noisy amp that constantly oscillated. Not so in this case, it only happened at a certain frequency. I guess I've always been lucky with my other builds and never had to swap the leads before.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:30 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for posting this Koop. I'm building an OSD now and this is really good to know.