trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fried PI trim pot
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

By the way, it sounds great so far, even without the trim pot on the PI!

I tried a few different power tubes and so far have settled on JJ 6V6's. The Tung Sols seemed a bit brittle surprisingly in comparison. Maybe it is just the pair I have but the JJ's were fuller and rounder yet with good clarity. I followed trinity's advice for V2 and V3 (mullard RI and tung sol RI) and those seem to sound good. In V1 I put in an old 62 NOS Raytheon and it sounds great. I'll probably test with a few other NOS tubes I have in V1 and V2 but so far I'm very happy with the sound!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:48 pm 
Friend
Friend

Anyone like 6L6's in these amps? I haven't tried them yet. I tend to like 6L6 amps with that tight powerful bottom end. But at the volumes you need to get the sweet spot it is usually too loud for smaller clubs or jamming at home.

But with a preamp based distortion circuit like the OSD, does that matter as much? I guess I should just try it. I've got JJ's but also a couple pair of old sylvania and GE's that might sound great.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:34 pm 
Friend
Friend

JoshD wrote:
Anyone like 6L6's in these amps? I haven't tried them yet. I tend to like 6L6 amps with that tight powerful bottom end. But at the volumes you need to get the sweet spot it is usually too loud for smaller clubs or jamming at home.

But with a preamp based distortion circuit like the OSD, does that matter as much? I guess I should just try it. I've got JJ's but also a couple pair of old sylvania and GE's that might sound great.

You totally gotta try it. I’m using 6L6s in my amp and I quite enjoy it. Currently I’m using Sovtek WXT+ and I’m pretty happy with it. I’m going to try some JJs next, I find I like JJ power tubes the most. I think power tube distortion is extra gravy but not necessary in an amp like this.

One of the best purchases I ever made was a UA OX. You can really crank your amp, but with headphones.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:23 am 

mitch m wrote:
Hi Josh, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like your power supply is working, which is the good news.

I know you checked your wiring three times, but check again. Make sure the middle lug of the P1 pot is connected to B+3. That's where the 1K2 and 22k resistors connect. Also meilleurs credits perso make sure the other two lugs connect to the 100K and 110K resistors. And make sure there are no accidental shorts in this area, or anywhere else on the board, or when the board got mounted to the chassis. Check for shorts at the tube sockets, too. Sometimes a stray bit of wire or solder is hard to see.

Also make sure the value of the pot was correct. The layout drawing says it's 5K. The schematic doesn't say what it is.

Were all the tubes in place when the pot fried?

I’m leery to measure pins directly because of proximity to the other lugs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Just catching up on this.We had a few boards get through with extra eyelets. The newest boards have lead dress holes and no extra eyelets.