trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

Really enjoying this build so far. I have just finished wiring up my output transformer. I checked the speaker output jacks to make sure they weren’t shorted per the manual, and I found continuity from the tip and sleeve to each other and to ground. Upon digging into this further, I found continuity across all metal parts of the impedence selector switch regardless of switch position, as well as to chassis ground. I’m assuming this means I have a faulty switch, but was hoping someone could confirm that for me.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:54 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Not familiar with OSD, but you might want to post a clear picture for the gurus and possibly bring attention to your problem by PM'ing Steven(Coco)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:30 am 
Expert
Expert

If the output transformer is wired to the impedance selector switch, you will see continuity between the various switch lugs and to ground. But you are just seeing the secondary windings on the OT. These have very low DC resistance, maybe an ohm or less, so they can easily be mistaken for a short.

If your meter can read these low resistances, measure across the tip and sleeve of the output jack. You should see the lowest reading when the impedance selector switch is on the 4-ohm setting. As I said, this might only be a fraction of an ohm, but it shouldn't read 0.

Switching to the 8-ohm setting should give a slightly higher reading, and the 16-ohm setting should be a bit higher still.

If your meter can't tell the difference between, say, half an ohm and a short, you will have to disconnect the OT secondary leads to test the impedance switch. It's unlikely that the switch is defective, though.

Good luck with your build!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:57 pm 
Friend
Friend

Mitch m, that is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:57 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Did you wire the switch correctly? Recheck to confirm which terminal is the common one that goes to the output jacks. I have seen this switch incorrectly wired more than once!