trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grounding question
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:21 pm 
Novice
Novice

Im in the begining stages of putting all the parts on the chassis & I see included in the kit 2 sets of fiber washers for insulating cliff jacks form the chassis. I dont see anywhere in the documentation where it says to use these, (dosnt mean its not there) If they do get used all I can figure is they are for the effects loop send & return jacks? If I do use them where should I ground the jacks? (& lug 3 on the trim pot) Or just dont use them, or are they for something else? Thanks _ Joe

Post subject: Re: Grounding question
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:58 pm 

I'm at the same point, I am assuming it is used as referred to on page 19 under insulated jacks. It states the input and output jacks need to be isolated from the chassis so i'm assuming and hoping that this means to use these on the speaker out jacks. The instrument input jack is all plastic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:13 am 
Novice
Novice

Ive never insulated output jacks on any amp ive built, input yes output no, that is the ground point for the output transformer. None of the holes are sized for the insulating washers. Looking at the pictures of Stephens amp it does not look like they were used on his. I did see on the OSD "preliminary" layout a seperate ground wire for the send & return jacks and different wiering on the trim pot. I think they were originally going to be used there. . Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:44 am 

You make good points. As this is my first build ever I will remove those insulators from the speaker jacks. I think my excitement is making me work too fast and I am possibly foo far ahead of myself for my own good. I don't want to bother Stephen too much with my newbie questions either. I'm now at the relay testing and I am not getting my LEDs to light up. I'm not sure if I should trouble shoot the relay but I suspect the LED's polarity may be incorrect. I could not identify the positive end as described in the manual but went with the appearance of the elements that looked the closest to the image in the manual. I dread the thought that my soldering skills have damaged the parts for the relay.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:24 pm 
Novice
Novice

Attachment:
Capture1.0.PNG
Capture1.0.PNG [ 754.22 KiB | Viewed 11293 times ]
I hope Stephen chimes in here if not you may want to Email him. . . I Think some changes were made to the way the relay was originally wired and activated, & he never changed the test procedure. The way it is wired on the layout it is now activaed by connecting the ground, the test procedure shows connecting the 5volt B+. When you wire the footswitch it is connecting & disconnecting the ground. Try using a small peice of wire to connect the footswitch wires to ground, If you followed the layout the wires that go to the footswitch can be connected to either of the locatios I have circuled. Jump that to ground. That is the connection that will be made by the footswitch . . The layout does not match "Exactly" the connection points on the relay board so care must be taken to get those connections right. . . Try to take your time , this amp is more difficult to build than most & the relay adds another layer to it. I Think it would be helpful if Stephen could add a good picture of his completed relay board as the pictures he has show the board very well but it is not finished. . Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:04 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Sorry I missed the conversation. The relay wiring and test procedure has been corrected pand updated and if you didn't get a notification, let me know.

Attachment:
IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_0423.JPG [ 2.17 MiB | Viewed 11206 times ]

To Test the Overdrive RELAY Board
WITH NO TUBES INSTALLED
To test the RELAY board, you need to first confirm that
the PCB power supply is developing 5VDC.
Turn the power on and measure the DC voltage between
the PCB pad labelled B+ (this is not amp B+!)on the board
and the pad labelled G (ground) .
You should have measured 5VDC between the RELAY
board B+ and G (ground).
Apply 5VDC to each
RELAY coil by means
of small jumper. Run
the jumper between the
LED Cathode to the
ground bus to test.
When applied, the LED
should illuminate as you
energize each coil.

TIP: If you build the
Footswitch now, you can also test the RELAY board using
the footswitch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ros8mhisbm22 ... d.pdf?dl=0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:23 pm 

Joe 6v6 wrote:
Im in the begining stages of putting all the parts on the chassis & I see included in the kit 2 sets of fiber washers for insulating cliff jacks form the chassis. I dont Carton déménagement pour bouteille see anywhere in the documentation where it says to use these, (dosnt mean its not there) If they do get used all I can figure is they are for the effects loop send & return jacks? If I do use them where should I ground the jacks? (& lug 3 on the trim pot) Or just dont use them, or are they for something else? Thanks _ Joe

Hello!
This is a good article because there are many tips and also many advices that will be very useful to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:23 am 

Joe 6v6 wrote:
Ive never insulated output jacks on any amp ive built, input yes output no, that is the ground point for the output transformer. None of the holes are sized for the insulating washers. Looking at the pictures of Stephens amp it does not look like they were used on his. I did see on the OSD "preliminary" layout a seperate ground wire for the send & return jacks and different wiring on the trim pot. I think they were originally going to be used there. . Joe

Finished assembling the amp, all tests and voltages ran Ok, but when I finally plugged in a guitar, amp was blending "farting" sounds to normal signal when I used moderate to heavy attack to strings. I checked again all connections, swapped the tubes, but nothing helped. Then I start to read the forum and found this thread. And I had the same doubt when I was installing the hardware, but the Manual says that all input and output jacks to be isolated from chassis, so I put these washers to both speaker jacks. I tried to remove them and amp started to sing! Now I see that OT is grounded through output jacks so Manual needs a revision regarding this issue.

Thank you Joe 6v6!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:17 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Joe, so you're running with no insulting washers, correct? That should be correct.
The build preamble does mention input and output jacks. However it my experience the OSD jacks are not grounded.