trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Trifly build!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:25 pm 

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum, greetings!

Got my hands on a Trifly kit last week and finished on Sunday, just wanted to share my experience!

Overall impression: What a great little amp! Came well packaged, well documented, is very peddle-friendly and surprisingly loud (I thought) considering the low wattage. I have a 12AU7 on order to see how that affects the overall volume, will be experimenting with some lower mu preamp tubes as well (my future goal is to get as high-gain and low-volume as possible).

The build was straightforward with great instructions. There are effects pedals more complicated to assemble (but likely not as dangerous :D ). Included is lots of extra info on how tubes work and how the different parts of the circuit affect the sound (will be trying out the switchable pre-amp gain mod for sure!)

Made a few errors along the way, namely the jumper layout on the reverse of the circuit board ('correct' layout in the pictures further down), as well as having some long component leads sticking out the bottom that were arcing with the tube sockets (sacrifices were made to the fuse-lord).

All-in-all sounds really nice for such a small package; very little hiss even at full volume despite my imperfect soldering and inattention to cable routing. Tubes start to break up with the volume around 11 o'clock and sound really good to me at about 2.

Looking forward to trying her out in a live situation and through some different cabinets, so far I've only used the following signal chain:
Les Paul Special (P-90) -> Trifly -> THD Hotplate (sigh urban environments) -> 4x12 (Celestion g12t-75).

Attachments:
File comment: Finished!
IMG_6497.JPG
IMG_6497.JPG [ 783.89 KiB | Viewed 22322 times ]
File comment: Everything soldered minus heater wiring
IMG_6496.JPG
IMG_6496.JPG [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 22322 times ]
File comment: reverse side of board showing correct jumper layout
IMG_6492.JPG
IMG_6492.JPG [ 1.6 MiB | Viewed 22322 times ]

Post subject: Re: My Trifly build!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:34 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Congratulations on your build. I had posted your 412 picture on another post.
Higher gain is possible with different bypass caps etc. The usual approach as it's traditional circuit and easy to play with. To try out a cap, you can just tack it on in parallel with the existing one to see how it sounds. The extra cap vaulue will be added to the existing one.
A 12AX7 has the most gain of the bunch, but some have more than others. I find some Chinese ones have more mu than others.
But turn it to max and work backwards! We found the volume doesn't change that much at max versus half way, just more dirt.
Enjoy!

Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 2.57 MiB | Viewed 22317 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:35 am 
Expert
Expert

That's an impressive little amp

I'm more impressed it still needs an attenuator though!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:34 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

kurtlives wrote:
I'm more impressed it still needs an attenuator though!

Ha, I took a Master Volume out of the design because everyone said it didn't need it!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:53 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I'm guessing the OP probably wouldn't need an attenuator as much, or at all, if he wasn't using a 4x12 cab.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:35 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

RMosack wrote:
I'm guessing the OP probably wouldn't need an attenuator as much, or at all, if he wasn't using a 4x12 cab.

Yeah a good 10" does an awesome job! We used 10" Jensen Blackbird, Tone Tubby Low Watt and I think I'm probably going to try the Warehouse Guitar Speaker WGS 10" G10C.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:35 am 

RMosack wrote:
I'm guessing the OP probably wouldn't need an attenuator as much, or at all, if he wasn't using a 4x12 cab. see full extenze reviews here

all of these are not making those funny clips :snooze: :snooze: