trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tiny Terror build log
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:01 am 
Novice
Novice

OK, i finally have nearly all the parts i need and i've built the chassis. Here goes....

The chassis was build fom an old desktop PC case cover. Its sufficently strong as to hold the iron without buckling but thin enough to machine easily. I cut the case cover to size and rivetted the front and back panels in place. I machined out all of the holes then applied several coats of black plasticote paint.

Heres a pic of the complete chassis after spraying:

I had to make a few small custom turret boards to handle the layout i drew here:

http://www.trinityamps.com/ForumGallery ... v.1.11.jpg

I made an anvil by drilling a hole in a large bolt which could be held in place in my engineers vice. I used a dot punch to round over the turret flanges finishing them off with a small hammer. They dont look too pretty from below but they will hold in place nice and tightly. The material i used for the boards was an old failed PCB etching attempt. The main turret boards were slavaged from an old Soundcity 120 PA chassis. I had cut them in half and had a bit oput of one half for another project leaving me with just enough to fit the Tiny Terror circuit on. All of the boards were held in place by 25mm long M3 nuts and bolts. The tube sockets were 9 pin ceramics.

Heres a picture of the chassis guts ready for poplation and wiring:

and the top of the chassis.

There are no can caps yet. I need to get them ordered up when i have the money. I have no iron yet. I'm waiting for Ampmaker to get better.

The control panels were populated by some dual ganged alpha pots, a CTS 500K lin pot i had lying around, two DPDT switches from antiques electronis and a single pole switch i had out of an old Carlsbro. The knobs came from an old Carlsbro 50Top of mine and the Jacks are original Cliff Jacks from the aforemention Sound City PA. I recovered the IEC socket from my sister's busted PC PSU and the fuseholders are old RS panel mounted holders i got off Ebay used. The Lamp is an old RS panel lamp from a SS laney combo from the 70's i got from a Plexi Palace forumite.

Here are some pictures of the front panel:

and the back panel:

More to come later as i carry on with the wiring. I'm going to fire up the soldering iron and get building. I'll be using carbon film resistors and TAD branded Mustard cap replicas (Sozos i think) for the signal caps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:59 pm 
Expert
Expert

Looking nice Simon :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:12 pm 
Friend
Friend

Looks like you are off to a good start Wicksy. Nice job of recycling parts for your build. Looking forward to your completion and hearing clips. Good luck with the rest of your build.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:24 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I love this! Cant wait to hear and see the whole sordid thing!! Looking good so far. Very "Green" effort sir! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:53 am 
Novice
Novice

It took some convincing for the guy at the tip to let me have the case. I told him would be recylced into something useful. He said it had to be recycled elsewhere but in the end it doesnt really matter where it goes as long as its re-used.

I have the mains wired up and the grounds and rectifer done. I'm going to do the the pre-amp and power-amp today. I'll then have to wait for the can caps and the transformers to finish it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:16 am 
Friend
Friend

Bloody brilliant Wicksy! :D
Love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:34 pm 
Novice
Novice

Cheers! Like a donkey, i've forgotten to order some stuff so its back to TAD... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:45 pm 
Expert
Expert

Did you see TAD is now offering a KT-66, Nice :D
Curious as to what this will sound like.
See Coco, a JTM45 with a KT-66 platform. Yummy :lol:
Here's a link:
http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.a ... id=4150130
Oops, wrong area. It's Monday :shock:
Supposed to be JTM-45, duh :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:48 pm 
Novice
Novice

Those are Shuguang KT66s i think rebranded TAD. Good tubes IMO. I have a pair i got from Tube Tramp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

Back to the TT. This is a great thread for the TT.
Thanks, Wicksy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:21 pm 
Expert
Expert

Wow you have a pair of tad's s
Cool :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:40 am 
Novice
Novice

Well, i discovered a mistake in my layout already! The phase inverter is wired wrong. I have the 1 meg grid resistors going to the plates instead of the grids :oops: Once the amp is done i'll post the updated layout.

A little advice, if you follow my layout i suggest another custom made tag or turret board to handle the cathode resistors for the power tube. I'll be using a 200 ohm resistor for the 15 watt stage then i'm using a double pole switch for the 7/15 watt modes to bring in another 100 ohm resistor in parallel with the 200 ohm resistor. That should allow the bias to be maintained consistently between the different power levels.

Here are some update pictures:

The heaters dont look too great but they should work well and be relatively hum free. If they're too bad during testing i may go the DC route a la Kevin O'Conner's book. I'm still debating whether or not to use shielded wire for the PPIMV. I should be abole to get away with it as the wires will be far away from any AC source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:55 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Before I'd bother with DC heaters, I'd twist those suckers up some more. I'd also suggest a shielded wire.

But try it as it stands and see if you're lucky! What caps are those yellow ones???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:02 pm 
Novice
Novice

Those are TAD branded mustard cap replicas. I'm trying them out to see whether they are as good/better than Sozos.

Can anyone spot the wiring mistake on the last picture? :wink: Kudos for the first person to spot the mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:16 pm 
Friend
Friend

Wicksy wrote:
Those are TAD branded mustard cap replicas. I'm trying them out to see whether they are as good/better than Sozos.

Can anyone spot the wiring mistake on the last picture? :wink: Kudos for the first person to spot the mistake.

Well if you're going from the layout above, it's hard to tell but it looks like V2 is wired incorrectly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

:oops: Yeah, i discovered that while doing the wiring. Theres a few mistakes int he layout that i'll correct once i'm done and the amp works.

I've been playing with my JTM 45 this last week and my 18 watt lite must be jealous as its refusing to work. Bloody thing! I'll have a poke around and see what happens....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:27 pm 
Friend
Friend

Nice build Wicksy 8)

I've been using TAD mustard caps and they sound great.
For my next build I was thinking about a Spitfire for the clean channel
and then adding a 'Tiny Terror' as a second channel.
I'm also waiting for ampmaker.com to reopen, hope he gets getter soon

Espen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:48 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'm going to be using the Mojo "mustards"/Mallory's. soon. I'm wondering if TAD and Mojo are getting them from the same place?

Wicksy,
Ya kinda died in the pic build for the TT. Whatup'.
Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

I've been lazy and i've been fiddling with other amps. I also learned the joys of a fully cranked JTM 45 with a Dallas Rangemaster clone! 8) I'll get it done at some point...i'm a bit skint at the moment so i cant afford the iron i need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:31 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

jac wrote:
I'm going to be using the Mojo "mustards"/Mallory's. soon. I'm wondering if TAD and Mojo are getting them from the same place?

Wicksy,
Ya kinda died in the pic build for the TT. Whatup'.
Later

Sozos are nice & smooth too!